Goff's Caye Question on Carnival

macy

When doing the excursion through Carnival to Goff's Caye, do you snorkel from the boat? Or do you snorkel off of the beach? I have only snorkeled a couple of times off of the beach and am concerned if the snorkeling is in deep water off of the boat. My Aunt just returned from a cruise and had a bad experience snorkeling from a boat because of the rough waters in Belize or Roatan, not sure which. Please let me know what type of excursion this is. Thank you.

Macy

We did this on the Legend in Nov '04. You can snorkel off the beach and the boat. We did not enjoy this due to the cold and wind and rain. We were absolutely miserable and freezing. The boat actually came and took people back about 2 hours early. They combined several groups and asked who wanted to go back. I jumped at the chance.

That being said, with warmer weather and calmer seas I think it might have been more enjoyable.

We did this tour on the Glory last April. We made the decision to snorkel from the beach but if you are not a strong swimmer it is tough. If I did it again, I would snorkel from the boat. Many of the people who snorkeled from the beach didn't go out very far since it was tough swimming against the waves, etc.,

We were there in November 05. You are given the choice of whether you want to snorkle from shore or stay on the boat. Stay on the boat. We got off and did it from the shore. Others are right. I am a very strong swimmer and have snorkled all over the world. They had the strongest current I have ever experienced. They had a guide but even he had a very hard time. It is also extremely easy to end up in the coral. I had proof of that , two nasty scraped up legs. We didn't have the best weather either and I honestly felt that they should have just cancelled as it was dangerous for those that had never snorkled before.

Thank you all for the information. It sounds like it could be a little scarey, but I'm hoping that the weather and time of year make a big difference.

Thank you again.

Macy

Archived