orchid world visit?

brisan

Can anyone help with information about visiting orchid world. Is it easy to get a taxi from the port and back again? How long would you need to do this visit and will it leave time to have a swim as well? We will be there on Friday April 28th.

"Can anyone help with information about visiting orchid world. Is it easy to get a taxi from the port and back again? How long would you need to do this visit and will it leave time to have a swim as well? We will be there on Friday April 28th".

Hello and welcome!

I got to spend four days in Newport (Isle of Wight) this winter…not too far from Southampton, in fact, we drove up there one day for lunch. I love that area!

Now, as far as Orchid World goes…..

It is perhaps seven (7) miles (11 K) from the dock on Highway 3B.

This would take you perhaps 30 minutes or less.

Cab fare is now about US$25/hr for up to four in the cab. Waiting time while you’re at an attraction should be ½ of that.

Budget two (2) hours minimum for travel time to and from Orchid World allowing a one (1) hour visit. Total should be US$ 35-40 + tip.

Now, while going to Orchid World you’ll pass Gun Hill Signal Station on 3B and within ½ mile beyond Orchid World you’ll find St John’s Parish Church. Both spots are well worth a stop if you haven’t seen them yet.

I’d budget four (4) hours and see all three for less than the price of a rental car.

That should leave you with plenty of time to beach-it, yes?

If you want, return from Orchid World or St John’s via the East Coast Road. You’ll get to see our beautiful East Coast and you can stop at Crane Beach (voted one of the ten best beaches in the world by Conde Nast) if you wish. It is worth the additional expense.

If you choose not to visit Crane, stop at Accra Beach only 10 minutes from the dock. A fellow islander recommends this beach highly.

Otherwise return through the centre of the island and beach-it at Folkstone. Settle-up with your driver there and catch another cab (or bus) for a 10 minute return to the pier when you’re ready.

My best wishes for a wonderful time on my favorite island! :)

my suggestion would be to get a taxi from the port and let them drive you there. It's not the hardest place to get to, but also not the easiest.. and at the moment one of the ways to get there is having road works done which makes it even more tricky.

If you really want directions, i'll try to get you there the best i know how. Just let me know

Archived