Moped in Cozumel?

kala4

Many places to rent mopeds.

Safe? In general, no! You will hear a story or two here and there from people who've been down and have rented mopeds and nothing happened. But, the fact of the matter is that there are more moped accidents in Cozumel than diving or any other type of accident. Many of them are fatal. The most minor accident would leave you with some serious roadrash and repair costs to the moped.

I've been to the island several times in the last 8 years and can tell you that we've seen at least one moped involved accident each and every time. Some of them have been pretty bad -- as in bone sticking out.

Don't mean to paint a gruesome picture but you need to know the truth of renting mopeds in Cozumel. My husband is a motorcycle driver and won't touch a moped when we're down there. Too little power to avoid an accident. No quick turning ability. Tiny little wheel base. Slick pavement from salt on the roads and then little showers. Crazy taxi drivers. Crazy tourists that don't know how to drive on the island. ETC. You name it. There are tons of contributing factors that make driving a moped in Cozumel a bad idea.

Stands for

M ore

O ften

P eople

E nd-up

D ead

Last trip down saw a lady sitting at Fat Tuesday with a white tank top on... her flesh skin... looked like she feel off the back and had a little road rash... just pure raw... She must have been on some pain killers to sit there the way she was!

Thanks for the warnings!!!! We don't want to leave our 4 children orphaned so I think we will skip the moped. Do you suggest renting a car or taking a taxi? We will be snorkeling at Dzul Ha and going to the San Gervasio ruins. Both are located on Cozumel instead of the mainland so they shouldn't be too far from where the ship docks, right? TIA

Thanks for the warnings!!!! We don't want to leave our 4 children orphaned so I think we will skip the moped.
Wise choice. As attractive it might seem riding around the island on a scooter, the reality of it is that riding scooters is very unsafe on Cozumel.

Do you suggest renting a car or taking a taxi? We will be snorkeling at Dzul Ha and going to the San Gervasio ruins. Both are located on Cozumel instead of the mainland so they shouldn't be too far from where the ship docks, right? TIA
Unless you plan on drinking a fair amount, renting a car is the way I'd go. Things aren't that far apart on the island, but to really understand where things are, I suggest getting the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com It is the best $8 you can spend getting ready for a visit to Cozumel.

Dzul Ha is south of any of the cruise piers and San Gervasio is East of town on the transveral road, so they are almost in opposite directions from wherever you might tender.

If you have expirience on a scooter or moped, they are fine. We rented one from Isis on 3/7 this year. A little mom and pop shop right in the center of town. Really nice people and the scooter was great. $20 for the whole day.

We took it across the island and then down the east side and back over to the west. Best day of our trip!

Picture of my wife with the scooter at Mezcalitos on the east side of the island:

dscn09118lp.jpg

-Ron and Jane

Costa Med 3/5-3/12/06

Rent a car! We rented a tracker for the Day ($80) a few years back when we were staying a a resort for the Week. What a great way to explore a couple different beaches. The main road on the island is pretty easy to navigate. We had originally wanted to rent mopeds, not only would they have been more expensive, but 'excursion guy' at our hotel told us that they were very dangerous and recommended us saving our $ and renting a car.

I have read & confirmed two cruiser liner passenger deaths on Roatan in the last two years.

I have not seen the medical facilities on Cozumel but likely am one of perhaps few if any others to have been given a tour of what is on Roatan. Lets just say

one should be carried back to the ship. Odds are you may not be blessed and not have a neurosurgeon on vacation. Serious head, chest and vascular injuries are events one does not want in Cozumel.

I will not bore you with the details of injuries on Roatan due to mopeds: dozens.

Doc

Archived