Anyone else excited about the AK sailing season getting started?

Hikini

I live in Seattle, so I am always anxious for the AK sailing season to start so we can watch the ships go by.

We're sailing again on the Star on June 18th, so I'm looking forward to the 5 cruises from Seattle before ours to go and come back, so I can read reviews before we go. We're not new to cruising, but I like to get more info all the time.

I believe the AK sailing season starts here again on May 7th. That's under 4 weeks away. Yeah! It'll soon be time to start watching the Space Needle webcam!:p

Hikini:D

We are excited. We have our first Alaskan Cruise scheduled for June 4 on the Westerdam. After seeing all the pictures posted and the info - can hardly wait to see it in person. We are taking the Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. Any suggestions!!!

I'll be watching the Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau web cams.

Here are the web sites for all four, including Seattle:

Looks sunny in Seattle.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/USindex.html

queenannecam_640x480.jpg?

Looks warmer in Skagway.

image.jpg

Looks frigid in Juneau.

JunBack.jpg

Looks like rain in Ketchikan.

fish.jpg

I'm getting excited Too!;)

One month from today will be my last day at work for May 21st sailing on the Star. Flying out on Friday and will be in Seattle around 5:oo or 6:00 pm.

We plan on doing a tour of Seattle on Saturday morning (already booked to pick us up at our hotel) which will last about 3 to 4 hours and then what to do the rest of the afternoon and evening is not yet decided.

Can't Wait I'm so excited I just can't hide it

My first cruise to Alaska

Marcy

Yes, I am very excited. There will be two of us on the 5/14 sailing of the Star. First time to Seattle and to Alaska. We are arriving on th 13th to see Seattle and we are staying 2 days after the cruise to see more of Seattle and Washington.

A few questions. I'm not sure what to pack for Seattle and for the cruise. I'm sure lot's of layers!! When I have gone to the carribean I pack way too much I cannot begin to see how much there will be in my suitcase for this trip.(good thing there is a weight limit) I am looking for help!!

For our two days after our cruise in Seattle, we are having a difficult time deciding what to do. Mt Rainer, Mt. St Helen, Mt Baker I would love to see the mountains. We need to pick one of these and we will need lodging too.

We still have not decided what to do in Juneau either. We will not do the helicopter, but it was sugested Mendenhall Glacier?? Has anyone just rented a car and explored? Whale watching we were interested in this too!

As you can tell I am confused and overwhelmed but extremely excited and counting the days till we sail!!!

Tweety

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I went on my first cruise to Mexico in August 2005. I can't believe I'll be going on my second in August! We are on the Wind out of Vancouver.

My mum in law lives in Twisp, WA and wanted a change of seen, so she chose the itinerary (she's treating...so i can't argue :) ...we took her with us to Mexico)

We already have a sportfishing charter booked for Ketchican and I'm definitley doing the Whitepass train (my 5 year old is a train fanatic!)

Yeah!

We still have not decided what to do in Juneau either. We will not do the helicopter, but it was sugested Mendenhall Glacier?? Has anyone just rented a car and explored? Whale watching we were interested in this too!

Tweety

Hi Tweety! I don't have a lot of cash for excursions, so I found there is a bus that goes to view the mendenhall glacier (I think its $20 round trip). It takes you to the visitor center and you can get hiking info for free there. There are different degreed hikes from easy and on. It doesn't put you on the glacier, but at least you get to see it.

Count us in!!!! Hubby and I are overwhelmed with excitement and anticipation. :D Not the first cruise but both first to AK and NCL - YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! We leave 6/10 on the Sun and trying to get through all the possible shore excursions. I just can't make up my mind! After a week of cruising, we get to hang in Seattle for another week.:D :D We've never visited there either so are looking forward to a fantastic June.

BTW - there is a roll call set up for the 6/10 Sun. Anyone booked, come on over and join us!

Kathleen

Yes, Hikini, we are very excited about the Alaska Season, but for a different reason.

Having done the Alaska cruise, along with you, on the NCL Spirit, last September, we will always be excited about Alaska Cruises.

This year, however, we are driving to Alaska, and will park our RV right near the Port of Skagway. We will be able to view the ships coming in to port during the week of May 19th through who-knows when.

This will be a very nostalgic and exciting time for us. We shall be taking pictures of ships as they dock in Skagway. It will be a great experience.

My heart yearns to be on another cruise. That will happen next year.

Till then, we shall live vicariously through all of you very fortunate Alaska cruisers. You are going to have a memory maker - time of your life vacation!

SailAways:)

We're excited, too! It's been so far away for so long--it's hard to believe that it's nearly here! Our original group of 6 has grown to 17, all looking excitedly forward to the Sun on June 3. Those of you who go first, pleeeeease report back to the boards promptly!!

We've had this cruise, and the airline flights, and the Seattle hotel booked for many months. Some of the excursions, too--especially the Tracy Arm catamaran out of Juneau. We booked that one as soon as it appeared on the website.

Our docs have arrived, and we are all enjoying the fact that it's nearly our turn to cruise.

Happy cruising to all of you!

I live in Seattle, so I am always anxious for the AK sailing season to start so we can watch the ships go by.

We're sailing again on the Star on June 18th, so I'm looking forward to the 5 cruises from Seattle before ours to go and come back, so I can read reviews before we go. We're not new to cruising, but I like to get more info all the time.

I believe the AK sailing season starts here again on May 7th. That's under 4 weeks away. Yeah! It'll soon be time to start watching the Space Needle webcam!:p

We've only got 18 more days until we sail May 7th on the first AK sailing. Guess we'll be the ones to break the ice for the rest of you. Have been packing and shoving the bulky stuff into the vacuum storage bags. Only hope we can get it all back in for the return trip.

I'm just jealous because you're all going and I'm not :( . Oh well, maybe next year it will be my turn again.:)

For the person who was having trouble deciding on shore excursions, if you're on the Sun, I highly recommend the Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier one. It was marvelous!

DW and I are in our "counting the hours mode". We have 11 days to go for the April 30th Wind cruise. Our first cruise, our 25th wedding anniversary both combined into one beautiful vacation. We've picked up some new clothes, hiking shoes and an ever increasing urgency to start this trip!!!

There are so many firsts that will occur on this cruise that we will be buying beer for everyone for years. Well, at least at my home drop zone that is!!!

Blue Skies to all!!!!

Mark & Sue

Were down to 30 days until we leave for the Sun as of today! :D Gonna drive up to Seattle a day early and go to Pike Place Mkt, Space Needle, and, of course, a Mariners game. Wish we had more time to spend in Seattle before our cruise....it is such a beautiful city! DH and I are more excited about this vacation than we have ever been about any before! Seems as if the last few months have been dragging by, but now that the 30 day countdown has begun I feel like I'm never going to get everything ready!!:eek: Everyone have a great cruise!

I'm getting more and more anxious for the AK sailing season to start, now that we're having some beautiful weather here in Seattle. It's time to start the ships, isn't it?!:p

I'm anxious to start seeing the reviews from those who take the AK cruises this year. Not that I am expecting anything new, but I'm just curious to see what everyone has to say. (Curious about certain things like CD's and activities, etc.)

And yes, I will be posting reviews when I return.

SailAways - how lucky for you to have so much time to spend up in AK since you are driving. I think it's great that you'll have time in Skagway, and I'm sure you'll see so many different ships day in and day out.

Some friends of ours are leaving on May 13th for their first cruise, and first time to AK. Do you think we've had ANYTHING to talk about lately???

Have fun!

4 of us are sailing on the Sun on May 13th--not to far away now!! I have been on Alaska cruises before, but my friends have never been there. If fact, two of them have never been to Seattle. Since we have a late sailing (10pm), we plan on having lunch near my house (by SEA-TAC airport) and then going down to the water front. They just have to see Pike Place Market and we will stroll along the waterfront before boarding the ship. Needless to say, we are all quite excited about this coming cruise.

Marilyn

It will be great to have some leisure time before boarding, so they can get the flavor of the Seattle waterfront. I love taking visitors to the Pike Place Market too. If they want some local flavor, I highly recommend going to Ivar's fish bar for some great fish and chips and chowder.

I hope your weather is perfect for your cruise!

We've only got 18 more days until we sail May 7th on the first AK sailing. Guess we'll be the ones to break the ice for the rest of you. Have been packing and shoving the bulky stuff into the vacuum storage bags. Only hope we can get it all back in for the return trip.
Hi, Sametu. I visited your roll call thread a couple of months ago to "beg" you let those of us on the Sun's first Alaska sailing (May 13) know when you got to board, when you had lifeboat drill, what restaurants were open the first night, because we have that same 10:00 p.m. sailaway time you do. If you get a chance to get onto a computer, please e-mail me at cruise_more_often at yahoo dot com. I would be happy to reimburse you for your Internet charges.

DH and I and a good-sized group from the Sun are going on the Tracy Arm catamaran out of Juneau (THANK YOU! to Ute_Fan for coming to our roll call thread to tell us about it).

For any of you who haven't visited the Alaska board yet, there is so much information there. You can find it at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55. It has been such a help to me.

Have fun, everyone.

Adele

Hikini - We will be in Seattle on June 3 and wanted to go to Pikes Market. How late does everything stay open there? We won't get into Seattle until around 5 pm. Thought we would go there and find a place to eat. Not much time but wanted to see some of Seattle before we leave on the Westerdam the next day. We are staying at the Sheraton downtown. Thanks for any info.

DH and I are getting excited as well. It is our first cruise, May 7th to Alaska on the Wind out of Vancouver. Down to 10 days and counting! :D

Hi newcruisers2! Make sure to tell us all about your trip when you get back. I'm on the Wind, Vancouver to Alaska, in August!

The count down is indeed on for you!

Hikini - We will be in Seattle on June 3 and wanted to go to Pikes Market. How late does everything stay open there? We won't get into Seattle until around 5 pm. Thought we would go there and find a place to eat. Not much time but wanted to see some of Seattle before we leave on the Westerdam the next day. We are staying at the Sheraton downtown. Thanks for any info.

I don't know the answer, but will check into it and post here about it later. I do highly recommend the Pike Place Market.

Archived