Mr Sanchos or Playa Palancar

sunryz710

Hi all you Cozumel experts..

I'm interested in your opinions..experiences and thoughts on Mr. Sanchos and Playa Palancar..

I will be visiting in May and can't make up my mind..

Does anyone know who has a better beach post wilma?

Do either one of them drop off steeply?

Good food?

Anything you can tell me is helpful?

What is your choice and why?

Thanks.. Happy Sailing..

Those are two very different types of beach clubs. Mr. Sancho's attracts families with lots of different activities while Playa Palancar is a very laid back place with few activities. I think that Playa Palancar has the nicer beach. Mr. Sancho's lots quite a bit of sand to wilma. I don't know about the food at Mr. Sancho's but I thought the food was good in P.P. Mmmm fish tacos.

Playa Palancar photos

Want to be able to soak up the sun with a nice sandy bottom beach that doesnt have a sharp drop off.. good tasty mexican food guacomole/chips and good drink...

I don't want rocks in the water.. lots of sea grass etc..

Also, would prefer not to have lots and lots of kids running around..

although some are ok..

Is palancar hard to get a return cab from?

Has anyone been to either of these beaches lately? since say January... I'd love to hear from you...

We went to Mr Sanchos in April. It was easy to snorkel and had lots of fish. It was not deep and did not have a drop off. There was a lot of coral but since we swam we did not walk on the bottom of the ocean. That might be a problem if you want to walk in the water, but someone else might answer that for you. It was a 15 dollar cab ride from downtown for 4 people. No trouble getting a ride back. If you want the photo wait into you are in the cab and they sale it to you cheaper.

We didn't get any food and we thought the drink prices were high but since it is free to get into....it was not that bad. They had tables and umbrellas ...I don't know about lounge chairs. They probably had them and we didn't use them. Sandy beach.

Want to be able to soak up the sun with a nice sandy bottom beach that doesnt have a sharp drop off.. good tasty mexican food guacomole/chips and good drink...

I don't want rocks in the water.. lots of sea grass etc..

Also, would prefer not to have lots and lots of kids running around..

although some are ok..

Is palancar hard to get a return cab from?

Has anyone been to either of these beaches lately? since say January... I'd love to hear from you...

I have been to Playa Palancar (beginning of Feb) but not to Mr. Sanchos.

The food at PP is quite good. The atmosphere is very laid back - no kids when I was there. No problem getting a return cab - a few hang around in the parking lot.

BUT there are quite a few rocks and shells in the water close to the shoreline making water shoes a necessity. The band of rocky uncomfortable bottom extends out for about 10-20 feet. Sea grass was not an issue.

BUT there are quite a few rocks and shells in the water close to the shoreline making water shoes a necessity. The band of rocky uncomfortable bottom extends out for about 10-20 feet.
That is true, but fortunately, once you get out past the first 10-20 feet, it is much better.

Just came back, we did go to Mr. Sanchos Beach, it was our first time there. I did not like when you enter how you get hassled by the people at the little shops even if you don't enter they just come out. It is like downtown Cozumel, the store people will hustle you. I don't like that when I go to a private beach. I thought the food was ok at best. The prices were high. My nieces rented a jetski, it broke when they were out on it, they were not given another one to use so they had to argue to get another one to use. Just my opinion, I would not go there again.

• 6 years later...

We have cruised to Cozumel several times and have stayed in a condo there for a week as well, and Playa Palancar is our favorite beach on the island. We were there last in August 2012 and are going back in April 2013. It's far enough away from the cruise terminals that it doesn't get overrun with cruisers.

You won't pay for a chair or even snorkel equipment just as long as you're ordering. Drinks are delicious and the prices are pretty cheap so you can afford to leave a big tip, and you'll want to because the servers will take such good care of you. Ask for Augusto, he's awesome.

You will get a little hassle for a necklace, a massage, or a picture once in awhile. Once each of them has asked though, they’ll start to remember you and leave you alone!

We've done Mr. Sanchos and yes, it's much busier and has more kids because of the water toys.

If you just want a relaxing beach day, a little shore snorkeling, some cheep beers and delicious Mexican food Playa Palancar is the one.

• 2 weeks later...
We have cruised to Cozumel several times and have stayed in a condo there for a week as well, and Playa Palancar is our favorite beach on the island. We were there last in August 2012 and are going back in April 2013. It's far enough away from the cruise terminals that it doesn't get overrun with cruisers.

You won't pay for a chair or even snorkel equipment just as long as you're ordering. Drinks are delicious and the prices are pretty cheap so you can afford to leave a big tip, and you'll want to because the servers will take such good care of you. Ask for Augusto, he's awesome.

You will get a little hassle for a necklace, a massage, or a picture once in awhile. Once each of them has asked though, they’ll start to remember you and leave you alone!

We've done Mr. Sanchos and yes, it's much busier and has more kids because of the water toys.

If you just want a relaxing beach day, a little shore snorkeling, some cheep beers and delicious Mexican food Playa Palancar is the one.

Looks like you're new to CC, so welcome. Did you notice that this thread is from 2006?

I do have a question since you've been to Playa pretty recently, because I also am undecided between the two. In an earlier post, someone mentioned a rocky shoreline to enter the water at Playa. Is that still the case? I'm looking for a sandy beach and sandy bottom.

Looks like you're new to CC, so welcome. Did you notice that this thread is from 2006?

I do have a question since you've been to Playa pretty recently, because I also am undecided between the two. In an earlier post, someone mentioned a rocky shoreline to enter the water at Playa. Is that still the case? I'm looking for a sandy beach and sandy bottom.

Hahaa, I have been creeping here for ages but finally signed up started posting!

I can't imagine what rocky shoreline they're talking about at Playa--maybe they've done some kind of reconstruction since that post. There may be a few rocks here and there when you're in hip-deep...but the beach and the bottom are nice and sandy. Enjoy your trip to Coz...less than two weeks away from mine now, can't wait!

Archived