What is a good price for an Alaskan Cruise?

vesw01

$100 pp per day is VERY cheap for Alaska - no matter what time of the year.

You didn't say if you were looking at Spet 2006 or Sept 2007.

Sept 2006 is already slim pickings. I found rates for 2 on Sept 13th for a 7A at $2572. total and 8B for $2972 total.

For Sept 2007 I found rates for 2 for Sept 5th at $2532 for a 7A, $2832 for an 8A, and $2732 for BL.

Now if you are a vet they are offering military pricing on this cruise.

Sept 5th at $2027 for a 7A and $2252 for an 8A (no BL available under the military pricing).

It does pay - or should I say not to have to pay - by booking early.

The 7A's are Obstructed - BUT - if you get a cabin towards the back the obstruction is minimal. The lifeboats toward the front are taller and make the view less pleasant.

We just watched a fabulous show on the Travel Channel last night about Alaska and it's wildlife and national parks. It was incredible and for the first time, I said to my DH that sometime in our lifetime we need to go to Alaska. It seems that taking a cruise there is a good way to get around but would assume that they are pretty expensive but would imagine that any tour, etc., would be. Since we live on the east coast, airfare to the west coast would be a big ticket item. What port do most ships embark? Seattle??

$100.00 per person per day is our "standard" for "normal" cruises (Caribbean, Mexican Riveria, Bahamas). But definately not for "speciality" cruises like Alaska or Hawaii.

Everything in Alaska was higher. The hotels we stayed at on our interior tour for a week before the cruise were twice what we normally pay.

But I can tell you that it is worth every penny!!

We always factor in the price of the flight and then aim at around $200-250pp/pd for a specialty vacation. Our European cruise has come in right at the top end of that, and the Alaskan cruises Im looking at are also up there. The best deal I have found so far including a flight and a balcony cabin was over $3800 and that was on I think Princess or one of the others who do round trips out of Seattle.

We are paying 2344 for Aug, 29, 2007. We got the last AFT cabin on the cruise, that was a military rate also. My SIL got the Penthouse Suite for that same cruise, using friends and family discount for 1440.00 per person. I notice there has been a increase since our booking on March 18. I can't wait to go though.

We already booked a suite for 3900.00 for next June on Carnival Spirit (suites are the first and fastest to go) That was they best price we could find. However CCL always runs past guest specials and such, so I will keep checking for those and have the rates adjusted or get an on-board credit if that happens...

I think this is a great price for AK. There were many other cruise lines out there with MUCH higher prices.

This is definitely not a yearly cruise like the Carib. or Mexico!

Hi,

My husband and I just booked a 7 day Alaskan cruise for the very end of May, 2007. With the military discount, we are paying 950.00 (tax and port fees included) each. Am I wrong in thinking this is a good deal? By the way, our deposit of 350 each is fully refundable until March of '07.

Gale

Personally, I would not pay the extra for the balcony especially in the eary summer (May-July) when there are 22 hours of daylight... it can really disturb your sleep. I have done inside, outside, and balconies in AK and will always choose the inside. There is plenty of deck space to enjoy the 360 degree view! I would personally use the extra money on the higher end excursions like trekking on the gacier or flight seeing.

I booked in November for the last week in June paid just over 1600 pp canadian which I think was just under 1400 US for a mini balcony on the Princess. Will use my airmiles to get to Vancouver so did I get a deal you bet ya and so looking forward to this trip.

I forgot to mention that is for an obstructed (lifeboat below) balcony.
Which week if you don't mind me asking? Also did you book this directly through Carnival or an agency? I'm assuming this is a Carnival cruise since you say you got the military discount.

I'll run it through the website I have and tell you what it is now. You can email me privately if you don't want to post here. Put Cruise Info in the subject so I don't delete.

Hi,

My husband and I just booked a 7 day Alaskan cruise for the very end of May, 2007. With the military discount, we are paying 950.00 (tax and port fees included) each. Am I wrong in thinking this is a good deal? By the way, our deposit of 350 each is fully refundable until March of '07.

Gale

Gale- that is a great price and you got it because you've been on cruises before and know what the keys are to getting a great price. For the benefit of those who are new to cruising, the best way to get a good price on a cruise is to do the following (the four books) :

1. Book early- as you know, a year in advance is not too soon. If you are wanting to go to Alaska, as soon as the fares are announced, it is time to place that deposit!

2. Book a guarantee- your best chance for an upgrade comes from booking a guarantee rather than selecting a cabin, especially if there are no extenuating circumstances that require a particular cabin. I booked a 1A guarantee on the Spirit (there are only 5 such cabins) for May 17th and was upgraded to a 4B, saving about $600. I have an inside cabin on the main deck next to the cabins with the obstructed view balconies.

3. Book your own excursions - I have learned so much from Cruise Critic I can't begin to elaborate.

4. Book with the same cruise line- I really do think they reward repeat customers.

My cruise, airfare, gratitutes and transfers is still lower than what the cruise line would charge for the type of cabin I am getting.

1. Book early- as you know, a year in advance is not too soon. If you are wanting to go to Alaska, as soon as the fares are announced, it is time to place that deposit!

I would say if you are not set on a certain week, then wait for the best deal. You can get a decent price for Sept AK cruises 90 days out.

hi everyone i am going on an alaskan cruise on july 12,2006 with my daughter her husband his sister and her husband... there will be 3 of us in our cabin we have a balcony 8a and we paid just for the cruise$1,314.59 $883,95 for air fare and tours after the cruise in denali park 1,020.00 that includes the tours and hotel for 3 nites.. plus we booked a few other tours at a couple of the stops which was not included with the cruise... we paid extra.....we are going out of vancouver canada on the carnival spirit pat

Chattiepatty, I sounds like you did very good! We have been thinking about Alaska but I thought getting there would be most expensive. We would fly out of Albany. For your cruise prices did you book with Carnival or a TA? Did you have any special discount? :o

For us the price of the actual cruise wasn't to bad, it is the airfare that kills us! We first are doing a land tour for 12 days so we are flying into Anchorage and then we will embark at Whittier for our cruise which ends in Vancouver. Just the price of the airline tickets from where we live will run us close to 900.00 a piece! So the cruise part is the bargin as far as I am concerned.

Archived