Coconut Post Cards

cruise freak

I have read in the past about buying coconuts that are post cards. Since the search in now working I couln't find anything on that. We are going on the Infinity in December and I want to note where you can find these. People have talked about them and they sound really cute. Can anyone help?

You can find them everywhere actually. We have seen them at the Paradise Cove Luau, Aloha Swap Meet, and just about every touristy place you can think of! You wont have trouble finding them.

:)

Suebee, are they on all the islands. We read the same post as cruisefreaks and were hoping to send home to kids in the family. The original post only mentioned them in Kona. Are these in the ABC stores too or just the touristy shops?

Well, I probably saw them on other islands but I wasnt really looking. Maybe someone else can shed light about the ABC stores since I dont normally shop there. But I have seen them a lot on Oahu at tourist places for sure....many more than one or two places.

Do they box them up before sending - excuse my ignorance, but with the postal system here in the UK, I'm sure they yet broken on route. They do sound like a novel idea though and I think I might like to give them a go.

The name and address are actually put on the coconut with a marker of some kind. I honestly have no idea how they are mailed. I thought it was a novel idea too. My husband was concerned that after the money was paid the coconut would never arrive.

The name and address are actually put on the coconut with a marker of some kind. I honestly have no idea how they are mailed. I thought it was a novel idea too. My husband was concerned that after the money was paid the coconut would never arrive.

When I took the road to Hana tour in Maui a couple of years back, we made a stop at a place that had them. You paid for your nut, including a postage fee, and gave them the address where you wanted it sent. I sent one to my folks back home in Philly. The nut arrived home before I did ... and in one piece. Dad (a former postman) and the regular mailman on our route at home got a good chuckle out of it. Said it was the most expensive postcard they had ever seen. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

When I took the road to Hana tour in Maui a couple of years back, we made a stop at a place that had them. You paid for your nut, including a postage fee, and gave them the address where you wanted it sent. I sent one to my folks back home in Philly. The nut arrived home before I did ... and in one piece. Dad (a former postman) and the regular mailman on our route at home got a good chuckle out of it. Said it was the most expensive postcard they had ever seen. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Would you mind sharing what something like that costs? (What can I say, I'm a diehard budgeter at heart!)

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I have mailed them serveral times and have found our own on a secluded beach, written our message, addressed them and mailed them. They cost about $2.10 each to mail. You must choose the brown ones, not the fresh green or yellow ones that have recently fallen off the tree. You must shake the coconuts to make sure there is no liquid inside. The coconuts must be free from cracks (because bugs or they could be rotting inside). So basically just use the old bro0wn dry ones...We even take Sharpies (now a thousand and two reasons :^o) ) in red and black and blue and green to decorate our own to send. When you get back to the office or to your neighborhood - you'll love the response! Its a lot of fun and you dont have to pay the $10 or $40 to get them. Of course - if you want the ones without your own message and have plenty of money for some not so decent artwork - go for it! They are mailed just as they are - no box. No wrap. I think about their path and the fun they give to everyone along their route to the final destination.

I do not know what the regulations are for international - just ask when you go to the Post office.

Archived