Anyone snorkle at Fishermans Rock?

beth2cruise

• 1 month later...

We just got back from our cruise (Victory 5/21-5/28) and enjoyed snorkeling at fishermans rock.

I am not sure how it compares to other places though b/c I have only been snorkeling one other time (in Key West) and DH has never been snorkeling.

DH saw a barracuda and we saw lots of other pretty and colorful fish.

The site is in North Sound and was right at a big dropoff into the ocean- we didnt swim out to it though.

While we were there the captain caught a sting ray and brought it back for us to pet.

When we got ready to get in- the captain said we would have 40-45 min to snorkel. I am not sure if it actually ended up being that long, but I didn't feel like I was rushed for time. A lot of people went in early actually. Overall a great time!

We are considering doing this trip on the inspiration in a few weeks. How deep is the water if you don't head over to the drop off? did others go over where it dropped off? Would you say there were lots of fish and a lot of coral to see? Also is this near stingray city, since you mentioned them catching a sting ray to touch.

Thanks in advance for any info you could provide.

I believe it was no less than 7 feet deep where we stopped and I probably didn't swim anywhere that was more than 10 feet deep. We did not swim out as far as the drop off- but I am pretty sure a few people did. You could tell where it was b/c of the waves- there were not any real waves to speak of in the sound but then you could see waves breaking as if breaking on a beach out where it got deeper.

You will need to swim out from the boat a little bit to find good patches of coral/rock (which makes sense considering they don't want you to jump right in on top of a bunch of coral)- but it won't be far at all- and I dont think I had to hunt around much to find fish.

I don't think it is very far from stingray city. They both seem to be in the upper (northen) part of north sound and stingray city looks to be a little west of fishermans rock as per these two websites http://www.planetware.com/map/cayman-islands/grand-cayman-map-cay-cay.htm

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cy/gcmap.shtml

FYI the people we went out with was Franks watersports and it was a carnival-organized excursion. We didn't have any complaints with them.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone has snorkeled Fisherman's Rock recently. We'll be going 8/12/07 on Carnival Conquest and were hoping to hear more opinions about snorkeling around the area. How does Fisherman's Rock compare to other places??

Archived