Ladies: Wardrobe help for DW please

CruiseFever

I like it! You can't have too many LBDs, but I would consider the peach/brown instead - although the color is very difficult to determine. I suggests she order it and return immediately if it doesn't make her feel like a princess. In fact, Nordstroms has many many many LBDs, and if I were her, I would order half a dozen different ones with an eye to picking out the best and sending back the rest. In the "old days" when I was little, my mom used to do something similar at the shops - she didn't like trying things at the store, so she would have anything she thought she might like sent home where she could try them with the right shoes and in natural light and then send back whatever she didn't like. ... good strategy.

Chris,

The dress looks simply marvelous!

I think she would look fine in the basic black and it would show of jewelry nicely, or one of the colors is equally nice. Blac is so easy to find, it is nice to find dresses in colors occasionally, and it should get use back home for a night out at a nice reztaurant or the theater.

i say go for it!

karie,

Who spends WAY to much on cruising clothes, as I don't dress up in my daily work and don't get many oppportunities to.

I'm just kicking myself for even asking this but... would that dress also be ok for formal nights? It looks just fine to me and I would feel happy in that or similar on a formal night.

(I don't wear jeans though!)

Heywood

I'm just kicking myself for even asking this but... would that dress also be ok for formal nights? It looks just fine to me and I would feel happy in that or similar on a formal night.

(I don't wear jeans though!)

Heywood

Well, that depends, Heywood.

Are you a man or a woman> <G>

Karie,

who is skulking off, laughing evilly

Yes you are evil Karie - but I like you! I'm all woman by the way!!

I was kicking myself because I thought it might well lead to a discussion about how many rhinestones constitute formal as opposed to a scattering which could be deemed informal/casual!

I'm not even going to ask now whether I will look suitably dressed - who cares? (Apart from those who think I will be letting the side down if I turn up in wrong length/ colour/material).

In all these discussions re appropriate wear, I am reminded of a boss I had a few years ago who objected to a certain member of staff wearing leggings (they were fashionable then). He didn't object to another member wearing them (they were both female). What really concerned him was their body shape! Some people would look good in a bin liner - others despite the price and quality cannot carry it off!

Thanks Karie for always putting things into perspective and making us laugh!

Heywood

Heywood,

I think I already knew the answer to that one! I just couldn't help myself! <G>

That said,

Many beautiful and stately-looking women wore dresses of that sort on formal nights. Not every gown was floor length. I think with the right accessories that dress would look perfectly lovely (and acceptible) on a formal evening.

Just don't wear jeans under it! <EG>

P.S. I'm with you on the bosses who think certain attire is acceptible as long as it is on someone with a pleasant (and YOUNG) figure. I've been there, And I am not talking about something which is obviously in poor taste because it doesn't fit right. Us larger folks have a right to be comfortable too! In a similar mode, I had a boss who wanted my area neater (I am a technician, and often have parts and manuals and documents placed around my desk while working on several different tasks at once. I often have to put aside documents from one task when someone comes to me with a higher priority. But when I leave in the evening, EVERY evening, my desk is clear and neat and clean) So I told him, he gets looks or work, but not both concurrenty. Style or substance. Pick one and I will concentrate on that one.

He backed off.

Karie,

who has worn leggings when they were fashionable., Hey! They're comforable, and with a tunic that comes down far enough, they are discreet!

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies in the UK looking for ball dresses / cocktail dresses should check out TK Maxx. I've just picked up 2 full length ball gowns (one black, one white) for £22.99 each. The stores I checked out had all sorts of colours.

Archived