Balcony in general? Worth it?

funkdude1002

Be Careful... Once you have a balcony cabin... I'ts hard to go back!!!

For me, Being able to have some deck space to myself that is 'private', so that I can get that 'all over no tan lines' tan... The breeze blowing in from the sea air, is wonderful to sleep in... I love to have a light breakfast or snack on the balcony. Even the view from inside the cabin is better with the large door opening. But, if you are not the type to spend a lot of time in the cabin, then maybe a balcony is not worth the extra cost.

Be Careful... Once you have a balcony cabin... I'ts hard to go back!!!

For me, Being able to have some deck space to myself that is 'private', so that I can get that 'all over no tan lines' tan... The breeze blowing in from the sea air, is wonderful to sleep in... I love to have a light breakfast or snack on the balcony. Even the view from inside the cabin is better with the large door opening. But, if you are not the type to spend a lot of time in the cabin, then maybe a balcony is not worth the extra cost.

Nothing better than to wake up and have coffee out on your balcony in your jammies and messy hair:p

Absolutely, however I would say that if I had to choose between having a balcony or having enough money to make me reasonably comfortable on the cruise I would choose the money. Cruising is wonderful, but I would hate to feel I had to count every penny I spent because of one luxury. If you choose it you will love it, guaranteed

This is a no-brainer. Once you have had a balcony you will always want a balcony. You might not be able to afford a balcony on some trips, or an older ship might not have any available because of limited numbers, but on those trips you will pine away for one if you have ever been there.

Doesn't mean the trip will be worthless without one, but you will miss it.

Mark T

Sailing for the first time this July on the Legend with my husband and two sons and got an extended balcony. It was worth the upgrade. We can't wait to hang out & have that cup of coffee early mornings and cocktails at nite. We want to just relax and take in the oceanview. I hope our kids let us!:eek:

Absolutely, however I would say that if I had to choose between having a balcony or having enough money to make me reasonably comfortable on the cruise I would choose the money. Cruising is wonderful, but I would hate to feel I had to count every penny I spent because of one luxury. If you choose it you will love it, guaranteed

On Alot of the newer bigger ships, it's not a real big difference from window room to balcony. Just shop around. you will be surprised.

Now if you want a inside room, that's a different story.

I agree - once you have a balcony it will be hard to not have one! I have found some good deals - using past guest discounts, etc. Just watch the pricing and book early. I book directly with Carnival and keep checking back. Book a guarantee (lowest price)! In my opinion, I have not had a "bad balcony" been forward - aft - midship and on every deck!

Love it - IMHO gotta have it!:D

Our last cruise was a mini-suite with balcony. Now the mini-suite was really nice, but not a necessity - a regular cabin will be just fine. HOWEVER, the balcony was fantastic!!!!!!! and we spent lots of time out on the balcony during the cruise. My sister and her family were next door to us. They opened the balcony divider to make one large balcony and so that we could go back and forth to each other's cabins. It gave space for their 3 year old to play (someone was always with him on the balcony). We also spent lots of time up on deck, in the lounges, dancing etc. But we really did enjoy the balcony. We have 3 more cruises planned and all 3 will be balcony cabins. I agree with one of the other posters, once you have a balcony it is really difficult not to book another.

I BoatMate! I am originally from Ohio - now located in FL - but usually cruise with my Buckeye friends!

I was aft starboard on the Pride and the Destiny. Main deck Pride and Empress on the Destiny. I was forward starboard on the Triumph Panorama and forward starboard on the Glory Panorama. Each and every balcony room was the same and they were all wonderful.

Like others posted here - I can't imagine cruising without one! You will be very happy with your cabin!

After doing an OV and an inside, we had our first balcony on our 15Day Hawaii cruise. It was worth the extra money! We now have a balcony booked for the Pride and will have an Aft balcony for Alaska. We love it and will always do one as long as their isn't a HUGE difference. There are deals to be had out there, if you look. Many times it is only a small amount more than an OV. We loved having breakfast out there, coffee, just sitting out and relaxing. On our way back, we had the sun on our side, so I would lay out on the balcony to tan instead of the crowded pool. Don't get me wrong, I like the pool area - but we had some windy days up on deck and it was nice on the balcony. I know I won't be able to do that on all balconies since alot are covered, but it was just another added bonus. We up each port day to catch the sunrise over the islands. That was fantastic!! Granted, we could have gone up top for that - but so much easier to be in our robe on your own balcony.

Keep searching for deals... price breaks, upgrade offers. Carnival had a 1day sale and I was able to get a 7a for almost 1/2 of what they are going for now. Granted it is an obstructed view, but it is 5236 which is an extended balcony. Just keep looking for the bargains.

I guess I'm in the minority. We had a balcony on the last cruise, and did not think it was worth the extra $. We enjoyed it while in port (every time we stopped, we were on the side facing the island). But the only advantage we found the rest of the time was it gave me a place to "hide" while my DW and DD got dressed for the day or dinner. Next cruise we are going back to a guarantee oceanview, and use the extra $ for an excursion.

That's what is great about cruising, different strokes for different folks.

I guess I'm in the minority. We had a balcony on the last cruise, and did not think it was worth the extra $. ...

Wouldn't even consider a non-balcony cabin. We spend so much time lounging out there, I would really miss it. We have always made sure to get an extended balcony though. The regular ones look pretty small. Now that we book the kids in their own cabin (with connecting door), we have two extended balconies and open the divider.

You are so right though - It's great how everyone can have a great (but totally different) cruise experience.

After doing an OV and an inside, we had our first balcony on our 15Day Hawaii cruise. It was worth the extra money! We now have a balcony booked for the Pride and will have an Aft balcony for Alaska. We love it and will always do one as long as their isn't a HUGE difference. There are deals to be had out there, if you look. Many times it is only a small amount more than an OV. We loved having breakfast out there, coffee, just sitting out and relaxing. On our way back, we had the sun on our side, so I would lay out on the balcony to tan instead of the crowded pool. Don't get me wrong, I like the pool area - but we had some windy days up on deck and it was nice on the balcony. I know I won't be able to do that on all balconies since alot are covered, but it was just another added bonus. We up each port day to catch the sunrise over the islands. That was fantastic!! Granted, we could have gone up top for that - but so much easier to be in our robe on your own balcony.

Keep searching for deals... price breaks, upgrade offers. Carnival had a 1day sale and I was able to get a 7a for almost 1/2 of what they are going for now. Granted it is an obstructed view, but it is 5236 which is an extended balcony. Just keep looking for the bargains.

I agree! You won't catch me anywhere in hawaii without a balcony.

But I have to ask (never been on an alaskin cruise) Is it pretty chilly out there on the balcony? Maybe this is one time I won't book one.

I have also always heard that once you have a balcony you will never go back. While it is nice to have I certainly do not consider it a necessity to have. We have booked two insides since having our first balcony. Our next cruise we are back to having a balcony. For us it all depends on how the rates are for the particular sailing we are looking at.

I agree! You won't catch me anywhere in hawaii without a balcony.

But I have to ask (never been on an alaskin cruise) Is it pretty chilly out there on the balcony? Maybe this is one time I won't book one.

I am sure at times it would cold, especially near the glaciers... but even if I am bundled up in Gortex (Sienfeld reference) then I will be on my aft balcony with magificent views. Everything I have read & heard, is that if you EVER splurge for a balcony - Alaska is THE time to do it.

:D I think if you enjoy a balcony on land (which I do) you would love one on your cruise. We had a balcony for the first time this past Feb on the Glory & I loved it. It was great for DH who got sunburned quite a bit. He was able to get out in the air on the balcony & have a little protection from the direct sun. We have a New England/Canada cruise booked on the Victory for August & the W. Caribbean on the Triumph booked for Jan 2007. Both of those are in balcony rooms & on the lido deck. If you watch for some discount or upgrade codes you can get a great deal. For example with codes DP3 & DP7 I was able to pay for the upper deck & get bumped to the lido deck on both of these cruises. Keep watching for those emails from Carnival for good deals & keep checking these boards for tips on codes from other posters.

Yes. We love having a balcony. The last time we sailed (Princess) we were assigned an obstructed view stateroom (it was a real bargain). We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, but both of us said over and over again, that if we can't book a balcony, we'd rather stay home. We enjoy it THAT much!

Having a balcony changes the whole dynamic of the cruise. With an inside stateroom, we spend all of our time out and about on the ship. We get to know more people and socialize more. We love it and it is a great way to cruise.

But with a balcony, we relax more and spend more time together. We feel like we have our own little piece of heaven. It is a different cruise experience with the balcony - but it is better for us.

However, given another opportunity to cruise without one, we'd probably still go.

Archived