Seeing Seattle - Once you've check in.

morganrp

I know that I saw posting on this, but with the board changes, I am not able to locate it and view the answers. (I miss the "My Space Notifications - maybe I just haven't found it yet - who knows.)

We will be on the Sapphire 8/8 and have Princess transfers from the airport. (FYI - used the transfers last year when on the Star Princess and it was GREAT!!)

Once we get to the ship and get checked in, is it possible to leave the ship and do, maybe an hour or two of sightseeing in Seattle - particularly Pike's Fish Market? How far away is it? Best way to get there? Anything else nearby that might be worthwhile?

Appreciate the suggestions! Thanks!

Hello! I hope you are excited about your cruise - you will love it! I am on the Sapphire at the end of August, and I am sure I will love it as much as I loved the Diamond in April!

Anyway, regarding your question...I live about 10 minutes away friom the terminal so I hope I can provide some answers. There really is very little in the surrounding vicinity. You are docked in an industrial area. Now if Princess had the ~sweet~ terminal, you would be walking on the waterfront, but that is neither here nor there. Maybe next year...

There is the Pioneer Square district a couple of driving minutes away, via cab. This area has some great galleries and eateries, as well as our two sports staduims (not too exciting with no game going on however).

I would for sure cab it to the Downtown area for the Market and other shiopping. We have the Flagship Nordstrom (the first one ever - well, kind of. The original was replaced by a much needed new building a few years ago! I know because I worked there for 10 years!) about 4 blocks away from the PPMarket, and lots of other interesting stuff to do. It is probably about a 5-8 minutes cab ride away. Not too much money I am sure, and definalty recommended, if only to see the fish guys!!!

From Downtown, I would recommend taking the Monorail to the Seattle Center, but that is closed becasue of a fire. I am not sure when it is scheduled to reopen, so I would plan on just staying in the Downtown area.

Enjoy my favorite city! Casey

I just saw the part of your post about leaving once onboard. I dont know if you can do that. In the past, on other cruises, I have just checked my luggage and then checked out the city before boarding. I have never attempted to get back off of the ship, so I am not one to speak about that. Anyone???

Just to confirm, if we are able to leave the ship (I will check this out with Princess) it would be best to get a cab to Pike's Market? 5-10 ride?
I have seen a video of the market - tossing fish etc and think our granddaughter will get a kick out of it!
Thanks

Yes, I would definalty recommend a cab. It should be about 5-10 minutes, I am not sure how much it will cost. I am not brushed up on our taxi rates here. There should be an abundance of cabbies dropping off people, so you ahould have no problem catching one!

On our past cruises we have never had a problem with throwing our carry with in the cabin and then disembarking. You will love the market and if you have time ask the cabbie to take you past the Experience Music Project & the new library. Just gawking the few extra $ is worth it. Enjoy!

We were on the 6/20 sailing of the Sapphire. We had already toured the city prior to boarding and I'm not sure how easy it would be to board than go back out. We did take a cab from our downtown hotel and paid no more than $6 before tip. We were dropped off at the curb and a baggage handler was there to meet us, take our bags and explain the boarding process. We walked with him to the entrance of baggage storage and he handed over our luggage there. We were then directed to the check in line. It appears to me that you could just drop your luggage off there and rather than getting in line to check in you could turn around and grab a cab to do a little sightseeing. Unless there is some sort of security problem involved this would be a very easy process and cabs would be plentiful.
We got to see everything in the time we spent in Seattle pre and post cruise. One of the highlights was the Grayline doubledecker bus tour. We picked this 2 1/2 hour tour up at the Sheraton Towers and may be something you would like to consider if you can time it right.

I was going to suggest the EMP, but with the monorail out of commission it is definalty another cab ride. But for anyone already going to the Seattle Center, it is so cool! My husband works at Microsoft, and his co. group's Xmas party is held there every year. It is so fun! I am not a huge music nut, and I even find it impressive. The hands on area is unbelievable! I love trying to play the drums and guitar (with held from the computer, of course!). It has light up areas that lead you through a song. I have a whole new appreciation for musicians after being there!

It looks pretty funky on the outside, but is fun on the inside!

Another idea maybe is taking a very short cab ride down to the more populated area of the Waterfront (down by the Aquarium, you can ask as a good drop off point), and then walking up come cool steps to the market area. Lots of fun stuff to see there along the way. And eat lunch along the waterfront!!!
Casey

It is certainly appreciated! Since our plane to Seattle get is about 11AM I think we will have plenty of time to take a quick taxi ride to the market. We have the Princess transfers, so probably will check in and the head out for just an hour or so!

Archived