??about driving to Rum Point

LJLB6

I amtrying to convince my family to rent cars and drive to Rum Point--but some have some concerns about the drive itself. For those of you who have made the drive---is it really confusing driving on the opposite side of the road and how hard are those "round abouts" to navigate? Did you have a hard time getting the hang of driving on the opposite side of the road? How heavy was traffic going there? Thanks.

i'm british and live in cayman so the first time i drove in the US i was terrified about driving on the "wrong" side and the confusing ramps? highway signs and the same road being called 100 different names!!!!

You will have no problems driving to rum point (on the "right" side hehe). Traffic will only be a problem if you are driving through George Town and then only will it be really bad depending on the number of cruise ships in that day. One tip for the roundabout is to signal correctly and only when you are about to leave the roundabout. Nobody knows how to use the roundabouts here (except the British of course) so don't worry about doing it wrong!!!

Happy driving.

We rented a car with Avis (near the airport... free transportation from near the pier). There were only 3-4 turns the entire drive, and 2-3 of those were right around the airport. Pretty easy drive on the wrong side of the road.

It took us about 45 minutes to get to Rum Point (longer to get back since we made several stops). We also had concerns about driving...but it was no problem. The car we rented had the steering wheel on the left, which made it a lot easier. The roundabouts were no problem, just remember to yield to the people who are in...once you are in, you have the right of way. And use your blinker when you are getting out.

I don't really remember that many roundabouts on the way to Rum Point. I know there was one really big one (by Hurley's, I think), and maybe a small one, but beyond that, I just don't remember any others. As for traffic...there wasn't any (once we got out of town). IMO, the Cayman people were very, very courteous drivers. We worried that we would be overwhelmed with things, but it didn't happen. If the traffic was stopped...someone always let us in. When you do a good turn, and let someone in front of you, they will honk...it's a thank you. Where I come from, a honk is usually followed by a gesture...if you know what I mean. That's not the case on GC. It's a friendly little toot of the horn, and sometimes they wave. :)

We even drove through town on heavy cruise ship days, and had no problems. Most of those people are on foot, so you have to keep a careful eye on them.

The drive to Rum Point is really nice. The blow holes are over that direction. We loved the East End, Savannah and Bodden Town. The botanical gardens are also on the way to Rum Point. We drove past the Lighthouse Restaurant many times, but never stopped. It's on our list for our next visit in January. We loved that part of the island...it's so natural and more "islandy." We enjoyed GT, but it's very commercialized compared to the other parts of the island.

This is just my opinion...but traffic moved at a slow pace...like most everything there. We loved our week there. It was the most restful vacation we have ever had...anywhere. We just went with the flow. I wouldn't hesitate a moment renting a car. And if by chance you'd have car trouble, GC is a very safe island. You could hoof it to the nearest home for help. Not that you'd have a problem, but you could walk anywhere and still feel safe. Our cell phones worked all over the island, which surprised us. We just dialed the number (no country code). :)

I amtrying to convince my family to rent cars and drive to Rum Point--but some have some concerns about the drive itself. For those of you who have made the drive---is it really confusing driving on the opposite side of the road and how hard are those "round abouts" to navigate? Did you have a hard time getting the hang of driving on the opposite side of the road? How heavy was traffic going there? Thanks.

Just remember to: Stay on the left and you'll always be right...cause if you're on the right, there may be nothing left, alright?

Speed limit is mostly 30mph, and never exceeds 50. If you're like me, you'll feel more comfortable with a left hand drive vehicle...like a jeep. I highly recommend that you rent for yourself. It's the best way to see the island.

Getting from the Avis place to Rum Point was pretty easy. Highway 2A if I recall, right out of Avis and the airport.

For me, the worst part was getting back to the airport and driving all around trying to find Avis. I saw zero signs and it was only through trial and error (and a few I am sure illegal u-turns:rolleyes: ) that I finally found it.

I had a Jeep (top off of course) with steering wheel on left side. You'll be fine.

Archived