How helpful/knowledgable are the on board cruise consultants?

franma

We've been on a number of cruises, but never took advantage of booking another one while on board. In the next two months we will be on one RCCL and one X cruise and are thinking of looking ahead to one in Jan. and/or fall '07. We have a couple of things in mind, but would want to talk to someone who actually knows something about the ships and itineraries. Yes, I know we can change the booking and still get the shipboard credit (or is it a discount, I forget?). Anyway, I don't want to waste a lot of time talking to someone when maybe I should have my mind made up before we go.

For those who have booked while on board, did you have a specific cruise in mind or did you decide at the time?

Thanks.

I say book something far out then go home and do your research and transfer the booking. Why waste valuable time on board? Come home and do the research from your own computer in the comfort of your living room.

But book it onboard. $200 is 20 Martinis!:D :D

Fran, we've booked 2 cruises while on board. Back in Nov. we booked the Infinity for the 28th of this month. In this case we knew beforehand what we wanted. We had narrowed our choices to 2, this one and the Mercury. While on board the Infinity this past Feb. we were intrested in something in Nov. of this year. She found us the Zenith for a great price. So we took it.

Rollie

For those who have booked while on board, did you have a specific cruise in mind or did you decide at the time?

Thanks.

We've found these people generally pretty friendly and helpful, although sometimes very busy and a bit hurried. Most recently we've either come in with a specific cruise (and cabin) in mind ahead of time or booked "dummy" cruises we intend on changing later.

There is always a good supply of brochures outside (or inside) their office for you to take and browse through ahead of time if you want to decide before you get to their office.

When we were on Infinity in 2003 and Millie in 2004, the consultants were VERY helpful. The one we booked in 2003 was exactly what we stayed with, however the second one we had to change due to conflicts, no problem; must add, I am eternally grateful for the patience of my TA. When we sail this summer we will most likely book again.

Happy Sailing

We have found them very helpful, friendly and interested in pleasing us. We have asked in advance what time might be less busy and made an appt. They have been able to find availability that our TA might not be able to find and when we've changed the cruise when our plans changed, the onboard credit was transferred without a problem. Go for it!

Some are better than others. BUT some are downright dangerous!

One just lost my client's custom air on her Europe booking because he/she accepted a duplicate booking so the client could get $200 OBC.

I'm writing because I'm sitting on hold with Celebrity now trying to put the original reservation back together.

When we cruised on the Mercury this past February, we booked a cruise on the Galaxy for next February. We knew well before exactly which cruise and date we wanted to sail on but waited so that we could get the credit for booking onboard. While on the Dawn Princess in February 2005, we did not know, at the time, where we wanted to cruise next so we just paid our deposit for an "open booking". We have until 2009 to use it. We'll just call our T.A. when we decide and give her the booking number that Princess gave us. We know we will be sailing on both lines again so we now always "book" while onboard to take advantage of the credit. In the worst case, you can always cancel.:D

We've found them very helpful on the two occasions that we've booked on board ( thanks to Tuggers for teaching this old dog that trick on the Zenith). Spending the credit hasn't been a problem either; our total charge to our credit card for the first week on the Constellation earlier this year was $0.12.

I framed the statement.....:)

I say book something far out then go home and do your research and transfer the booking. Why waste valuable time on board? Come home and do the research from your own computer in the comfort of your living room.

But book it onboard. $200 is 20 Martinis!:D :D

Tuggers is absolutely on the money!! We book on board, we've learned from the best!

I have found them to think they know everything. I had a dispute one time cause I wanted to book 6030 with the double sized balcony. She argued that the balconies arent' double sized and she should know as she worked for Celberity. Once I returned home, I e-mailed her a picture to prove it. I never got a response.

By the way, she booked me in a different cabin, did want to give me the cabin I want. So I went home contacted my agent and had the booking changed to the cabin I wanted.

Hi Everyone !

I have found my experiences to be fine. The biggest problem is, they future cruise consultants are VERY busy, and you usually feel rushed. Being that there is a nice benefit to booking onboard, I dont mind putting up with it. I always come onboard with an exact plan of what I want to book, so this way it speeds up the process.

Archived