Astoria, Oregon?

We will be on the May 21 Serenade 7-night cruise from San Diego to Vancouver (our 4th cruise, all Royal Caribbean). We spend a whole day in Astoria, Oregon and have not been able to find much information about that location -- probably because there isn't much there.

Although we enjoy hanging out on the ship, we would welcome any suggestions for things to do off the ship. The Royal Caribbean shore excursion choices seem pretty lame.

Thanks in advance.

-- RubbaDubba from Colorado

Some web-sites:

http://www.pacific101.com

http://www.visittheoregoncoast.com

http://www.dailyastorian.info

http://www.oldoregon.com

Some places nearby are Seaside and Cannon Beach.

BTW, have you looked at the threads here for both the Serenade and the Radiance Pac Coastal cruises? Both ships will be in Astoria the same day and the Roll Call Forums have a lot of information about all the ports and what people are planning.

Astoria is also one of those places you should get off the ship. Oregon is an amazing state and this little town is very cute. Even if you just get off the ship to go beachcombing at a nearby beach, you won't regret it.

Hey....RubbaDubba, we are also on the same cruise. I went to AAA and got their tour book. But, my question for you is are you gonna fly home out of Vancouver? We are checking into transportation to Seattle and flying back to San Diego from there. Anybody's ideas will be appreciated. We want to stay in Vancouver for at least 1 night. Hotel suggestions?:)

Wanna,

DH and I have stayed at the Westin Bayshore and the Marriott Renaissance on previous visits to Vancouver. Both are wonderful hotels. The Westin has a view of Stanley Park (on the south side) and the Marriott has a harbor view of the float plane docks and Canada Place, on the west side.

I recommend that you pick up the Trolley in the Gas Lamp District (just past Canada Place) and ride it around town. It's a good overview of Vancouver. I see that you're from Calif, so you'll find this particularly funny. DH insisted that we eat at the Old Spaghetti Factory, when we were in Vancouver ... Like we don't get enough of that here. :rolleyes: Have fun. I'm doing the Radiance Pac Coastal on the way back, in Sept. Please be sure to post about any thing you find of interest in Astoria, as I have never been there, either.

Boy Voyage! ~ LL

I live in Portland Oregon so this is a day trip for us. I looked at the excursions that they off while in port and 2 of them truly stand out to a "local". Mount St. Helens is utterly unbelievable and the drive there is gorgeous. You may not be aware, but St. Helens has been inadvertently blowing off steam lately and it is even more interesting at the moment. The other trip that would offer you some breathtaking scenery is the tour our the Oregon coast from Astoria to Tillamook. That is some of the most rugged seashore you will see anywhere and lots of charming beach towns. The Tillamook Cheese Factory has wonderful cheese, but the Ice Cream (from someone who isn't particularly fond of Ice cream ) is to die for. The little town of Nehalem where they will have the wine tasting is also one of my favorites. A couple antique shops, and indian art gallery, a clothing store with a parrot that greets the customer. The entire town was almost flooded out a few years ago so they went in and raised all of the buildings up about 4 or 5 feet, quite a sight.

Just my two cents from Oregon

Kathy

Thanks to all who responded. Your information has been very helpful.

Wanna: On this trip we will not be spending time in Vancouver -- will be flying back to Colorado from Vancouver immediately after the cruise (get the extra day to recuperate before going back to work thanks to Memorial Day holiday on Monday). However, we have been to Vancouver and loved it.

Thanks again to all repondents.

wannacruisemore,

I'm staying in Vancouver after the cruise and got a non-stop on Alaska Air: Flt 686 dep YVR 3pm arr SAN 6pm. Other posters prefer flying from Seattle.

You might check http://www.mobissimo.com to compare hotel rates from many different web-sites at one time.

As always, "Your Mileage May Vary"!

Archived