Biking Belize long review

Buffettfan 225

Belize Biking Review, Altun Ha – will be be posting photos

I had read good advice that if you were going to book a tour, Belize is the place you need to book one. With some emphasis on booking thru the ship. This is a very nature orientated island and cannot be appreciated at the pier. Most tours needed to travel 40 minutes to get to locations. Seeing Belize from the pier will have them saying”why did we stop here?” So take a tour. It is also nice knowing being 40min away that on a ship sponsored tour, if a delay the ship will wait.

We were to sail the Carnival Miracle and arrive in Belize on April 6th, 2006.

Who: we are: Myself (mom) 43, Husband 44, and teen son 15. Having been in charge of previous cruise planning, my son deemed that “WE were going biking this cruise” having reviewed the port stops Belize seemed the most interesting location to do this. My athletic background is being a golfer and own a bike I had not ridden in nearly two years. All I kept hearing from son was how “it” was going to kill me, smirking the whole time.

I thoroughly prepared for the bike ride necessary items:

1.) DEET 100% bug spray. A small pump bottle bought in sporting goods area at the mega “W” store met our needs for this outing. I cannot over state the need for it (especially head, underarms). We were in the dry season and those not sprayed were still swatting their arms wildly. Plus there was no way I even wanted to test fate of the worst scenario of Botfly.

2.) Bottle water –although tour did provide, I preferred my own US brand. Only ½ liter size though, as water bottle holder on bike only fits this size.

3.) We chose to wear “weight lifting /biking gloves” –a nice optional item to bring if you have a pair. I had no blistering trouble at all—both of my men though had a blister in web between thumb and index. Although I kept my hands on outer edge of handles and they grasped more inside which they figured where a gear shift joint was. I had no interest in needing to change gears on bike. So my hand position only changed when I risked taking a photo.

4.) Locals only take cash, and no way to make change. Carry singles and fives for soda, souvenirs and we tipped driver and guide.

5.) *optional—I wore a hip sack to carry digital camera and small wallet with Cruise ID, official US ID and many small $ bills. Also a backpack with a snack bar and extra water. Backpack was helpful for wood items I bought. Any items you bring can be secured on bus during bike ride.

How our trip proceeded:

Booked thru Carnival Cruise line ahead of time on internet.

The trip description stated 8:15-2:15. We were to meet in the showroom-Phantom lounge at 8am.

We were on ship time from Tampa (this ship never changed their clocks), and it had just changed from daylight saving so we were actually 2 hours ahead of Belize. We ate a sensible protein type breakfast and headed down to lounge by 7:55.

We then heard an assistant cruise director announcing Belize Biking –Perfect! Right on time. Or so we thought….Seems she was at the stage announcing what color and numbered sticker each ship tour a member of each family should be picking up for to put on their shirt. We just happened to hear our color and number for what would become announced over and over. Keep in mind, we are now sitting in a very well orchestrated group of people filling up the lower level of the showroom.

From what I figured 300 people or so would be going on the Belize cave tubing tour. Then other groups would soon be called. Finally at 8:15 they began calling out groups to follow one of the Miracle dancers down to the gangway to get on a tender. They started calling the tubing groups in 75 or so size from the back to leave. The important thing I learned to not out think yourself here…there is more than one tender loading at one time (two gangways), and they all do not go to the same destination on shore. So DO NOT randomly get on a tender thinking you’ll be dropped off at the pier. Some went directly to their tour such as a snorkeling location. Then we waited, they kept repeating the number system again. I am amazed at how some late comers (8:45) would come into the lounge with coffee cup in hand and just sit down oblivious, not noticing everyone branded with a round colored circle with a number in it. They were lucky they started the large tubing group first. By 9am our tour for biking was finally called.

We went down to gangway to get on a small fast watercraft. One cannot see shore where you “anchor” in Belize. I think it took approx. 20 minutes to get to shore. We sat across from the entrance on the tender boat. This turned out to be a prime spot, we met a young man John Guidion—a worker for the tender company. Very proud of his country. We learned, he would take a bus the night before, travel for 25 miles and sleep in town to work the next day. He literally lived in the jungle near Altun Ha. He spent lots of time with those that could hear him telling us about life in Belize, showed us maps etc. An enjoyable tender ride—we of course tipped him personally for taking care of us and sharing his knowledge—I know it is not necessary, but appreciated – we would later learn about Belize income level later from our tour guide.

After exiting tender we waited in a hallway by a jewelry shop not yet open and a small counter offering water, soda and restrooms. It was only a few minutes and our nice charter bus was ready to be loaded (just like US charter buses). Getting easily car sick I chose the front seat behind the driver so I could see out the front. My family sat behind me. This would later prove helpful for easy on/ easy off bus. Especially when picking out a bike.

We took off at 9:15 and learned it would be about a 50 minute bus ride to the start of the ride. During the ride, Roman our tour guide narrated all about the city, what we were passing and was very pleased with us asking impromptu questions. He soon called us his family of 26. Time passed quickly thru town, past local homes, seeing children going to school and into the countryside. Kinda a bonus tour I hadn't panned on.

We pulled into a grassy sight where we were told to pick out a bike, make sure it is functioning (AKA—the brakes work, and seat is right height), there was also some bathrooms for use. Bathroom is a relative term. It was unisex, with regular toilet facilities, just we could not find one that flushed that day. (Note: bring hand sanitizer)

We quickly picked bikes, took them for a spin around the grass area and waited. There were gentlemen there offering to adjust bike seats etc. My priority was a bike frame that fit my 5’2” height, brakes that worked, and one that had a functioning water bottle holder. Our family all seemed to end up with rather new looking bikes branded Golden Cycle. My husband and teen son are long legged and 6-2” and had no trouble also finding bikes to fit them. Those that kept changing bikes to find a good one—seemed to be having more trouble with the hot pink bikes; stay away from those.

We were told ride should be approx 1-1/2 hours, and 3.5-4 miles long. We were then off single file, with two instructions to remember “Rock & Root”.

If front guide called it out, we were to call it back to person behind us. The beginning trail is leafy, with I’d call avoidable egg size rocks and twigs, with the guide calling them out. After a few minutes we stopped riding. At this point they were making sure everyone wanted to continue as one guide could take anyone back to the bus. No takers. Our group of 26 ranging in age of 12-60 all went onward. A few minutes later we stopped again—it was clear our group was breaking into obvious levels of biking speed. We stood and waited (this is where bug spray is needed.) The guide then went onto narrate about local plants, trees, mayans etc. all very interesting but many people were more looking forward to moving from the mosquitoes. As we progressed the trail got a bit harder but keep in mind, I am not an avid biker and found myself in the front group (pack) of 5 people. At this point, another guide somehow appeared out of nowhere and decided we would go forward on our own. If you are a faster, more experienced biker definitely get in the front pack. Before we broke out into smaller groups, I lost momentum on some small inclines forcing me to walk bike over some rocks. By the time we were over halfway, the guide was only calling out major rocks that would equal sharp sized oranges, forget calling out the roots they were now just tactile avoidance. Technically we were not biking in the actual jungle, rather what they called the second cut to protect Belize from storms as they are 2 feet below sea level. During the ride, my husband behind me in line, would yell out, hey look how big that fern is, see that bird? Hey, for me if it was not crawling across the jungle floor I did not see it. I was not going to be the one to take a fall and had my eyes focused in front of me. Do not expect to see any major animals, it is more of a plant trip, and some sounds. Very serene though. I am so glad this whole tour was April. During biking I saw ruts in what was dry cracked mud, and we crossed a small bridge what must normally go over water—now that would require a serious biker to get thru this terrain if wet. Tour guide said rainy season starts in June. We finally exited to a short flat road and parked bikes at Altun Ha ruins. That is the end of the biking portion.

At Altun Ha, there were real functioning restrooms.

We again were provided an extensive,very knowedgeable tour of the ruins, and Mayan history. Having never been to ruins before, this met my criteria. The other thing—even in April standing in center of ruins was hot. We were able to climb two of the ruin structures, the second structure (largest) had a handrail this time but still pretty steep and pretty cruel on my legs after getting off a bike I told another lady jokingly. After climbing down structure,there are a few locals selling their crafts in booths were you came in. The first stall had glass bottled soda for $2 US. The absolute best soda- I thought bottle was chipped, rather it was ice on bottle. Well worth $2 at this point. Here vendors will bargain (especially if you walk to next booth) for local crafts –nearly 30-40% cheaper than at pier. Shop quick the quide only gave us like 3-5 minutes. After climbing the first structure, next time I’d skip climbing to top of second, and shop at these vendors. I wish I had quickly scanned the booths then selected a purchase. I only got to three booths.

I found wonderful carved animals in local wood for $US ($8, & $15), bowl ($20) and husband a jadite carving of a mayan medicine god ($14). I would later find another bowl I liked at pier for $35 and no bargaining here at all.

We then boarded the bus to a local restaurant. I felt like we were part of Survivor show getting a reward meal. We ate outside under a thatched roof and picnic tables, soda orders (or beer -extra cost)) taken and awaited our food. There was no menu, we all were given the same plate. While eating. our guide asked how we all liked the food—in his local accent: ” It is a local delicacy—barbequed iguana—“ yes some forks dropped, he then went on to say..”tastes like chicken ey?” OK funny guy! Really they do eat Iguana, Rather, the meal was—a quite tasty stewed chicken, rice/bean mix, grilled plaintain banana, and a piece of papaya that we could save and could feed it to the pet howler monkey.

During lunch the guide asked what time last tender was—he never made the adjustment for daylight saving and we rushed feeding the howler monkey –feeding him papaya becomnig more of a drooler monkey. Then we quickly boarded the bus. Where poor Winston our bus driver was told to move that bus! We had plenty of time but he did not want to risk missing last tender. They call the speed bumps in Belize “sleeping policemen” LOL –we seemed to somehow fly over these on the way back. Again, the guide offered narration and answered questions. We learned a good salary is $75 US a week, and $150 for high paying jobs. Once a child passes school exams at 13, the parents are to pay $250 US per month for school, leaving very little to live on.

We made it back in record time, and had 50 minutes before last tender. At the pier is an indoor market of two parallel hallways selling t-shirts, wood carvings, bowls, cutting board, figurines, duty free liquor etc. You are not bothered much while shopping as it is a fenced in area only for cruise passengers. Nearby I heard there were more bargains in an area called the Belize National Handicrafts center which we did not have time to locate. We found a short tender line at 3:20, with last tender at 4pm. Funny- we were getting in line when our morning tender guide saw us and said no worry shop a bit more—he’d personally get us on his tender. I guess a $1 US tip from the morning goes a long way. A super young man, trying to earn a living for mom and 10 siblings. Yes, we shopped a few more minutes, then got on a tender— we heard the familiar phrase as we boarded the tender “watch your head if not, watch your language” there was smiling John—he hopped on this tender, and had picked up a tourism book for me and wanted to give it to me. Yes another small $US tip, and was given an invitation back to Belize to share his country.

Overall as they say in Belize “UNBELIZEABLE”

I asked my son later if he heard anything about cave tubing from other teens…teen response yeah, but our tour sounded better to them, and no cold water.. So yes, mom surprised him and survived!

trying to find a way to post photos, I'll add a link onto this thread when I get them posted, will try by tomorrow night.- “Biking Belize” – Buffetfan (Suzy)

Archived