Tampa and surrounding areas

sugar n spice

I've been researching but because of back problems can't sit at the computer long. I am researching places to stay and things to do in Tampa and the surrounding areas (St. Petersburg, Clearwater, etc.). My DH and I need some unwinding time so I have also been looking at activities like sunset cruises, beaches at the state park islands, snorkeling, pontoon tours and visits to botanical gardens. If anyone from the areas could suggest a good place to stay (safe area, clean and nice but not too pricey), places to eat and other things to do, I'd appreciate it. We plan to book a rental car so we can get around to several places. We will be in the area for a week. Our cruise isn't until next year but we decided to visit the Tampa area for a week in June since we had airline points that were going to expire this year. At least we will know our way around a bit when cruise time comes and we have a couple of days before and after the cruise to enjoy the area with other family members.

In advance, thank you.

The most central location if you might be planning over the course of your week to hit beaches and the Orlando area, is right at the airport in the Westshore area. There are lots of choices there. From what you are briefly describing though, you might want to look at Clearwater Beach, or St. Petersburg Beach, or anything in between. The Tampa Bay area is big and you will spend lots of time on surface roads.

The most central location if you might be planning over the course of your week to hit beaches and the Orlando area, is right at the airport in the Westshore area. There are lots of choices there. From what you are briefly describing though, you might want to look at Clearwater Beach, or St. Petersburg Beach, or anything in between. The Tampa Bay area is big and you will spend lots of time on surface roads.

Thank you for your reply, signman. I have been to Orlando several times so I am not planning on visiting there. I am interested in checking out some of the areas around Tampa though. Also, I have been researching a little more and have found a couple of places south of Tampa (Anna Maria and Siesta Keys). Since we are renting a car, the drive wouldn't be bad. Do you know anything about those areas...particularly the blocks around Siesta Keys Village? I do not want to be in a "city" setting. I want to get away from as much traffic and congestion as possible (at least for where I'll be staying) but I'd still like to be able to enjoy some of the sites and outdoor/nature activities. And, I'm not sure what you mean by "surface roads". In my mind, that means anything except an underground road. I don't think that is what you are meaning though. Could you explain? Again, thank you.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Sarasota area. While technically it isn't that far from Tampa, it really is a whole different area. When I say surface streets, what I'm really trying to say is that the Interstate Highways in the area I-4, 75, 275, don't reach to many areas that you might be heading to, particularly the gulf beaches. So once you leave the interstate you will spend time on regular city streets, with lots of traffic lights.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Sarasota area. While technically it isn't that far from Tampa, it really is a whole different area. When I say surface streets, what I'm really trying to say is that the Interstate Highways in the area I-4, 75, 275, don't reach to many areas that you might be heading to, particularly the gulf beaches. So once you leave the interstate you will spend time on regular city streets, with lots of traffic lights.

Ah yes, O.K.. I see what you mean by surface streets.

I'm not sure where we'll actually stay. I had started researching the immediate Tampa area since we fly into Tampa and will be sailing from Tampa next year. DH heard about the other places and wanted to find out more about them. I appreciate your reply. If we do book a room in the Tampa area, at least I will have an idea of what part of Tampa to stay in now.

The area around the air port is pretty nice.

• Clearwater beach is fabulous!
  • The Aquarium (right between Cruise Terminal 2 and 3) is an entire afternoon.
  • They also have the SS American Victory docked there. She served in WWII through the Vietnam war and is being refurbished there, you can tour her for a small, small fee. She is also the same ship they filmed "Mr. Roberts" on starring Henry Fonda.
  • There are some quaint shops in the Ybor City area.
  • Channelside (by the aquarium and the terminals) has some nice resturants and and IMAX theater that is an excellent experience.
  • A GREAT steakhouse that I can recommend is Sam Seltzers. They have several around the area. We ate in the one on N. Dale Mabry and the food was EXCELLENT and the price was pretty reasonable.
  • Traffic can be a real bear so try and plan extra time for that.
  • Busch Gardens is more than carnival rides. Check out thier website
  • Take in a Devil Rays's Baseball game.
  • Make sure you are there to watch the ladies come in to dock and sail away again. It amazed me how many people lined the roads to watch us sail out.

We didn't make it out of the Tampa/Clearwater area much, but it is pretty easy to get around in except for the tons of traffic and extra long lights.:o

Oh Siesta Key and Longboat Key beaches are a couple of my favorite in the world that I have been to. If you are looking for a 1 hour beautiful ride from Tampa I would have to say that would be the place to go. Once on any of those lil islands it is like small villages. Shopping, cute outside patio type restraunts. It really is lovely. As far as traffic goes, remember those are little islands and some of them have draw bridges so you cant really tell what its going to be like. What ever you choose........ENJOY!!

Elle:D

The area around the air port is pretty nice.

• Clearwater beach is fabulous!

~I'm checking into Clearwater stays and activities.

• The Aquarium (right between Cruise Terminal 2 and 3) is an entire afternoon.

~The Aquarium was one of the sites on my list. I really would like to go there. It's good to know that it is in the Cruise Terminal area. That is another place I wanted to check out so I'll know my way around a bit when our family sails next year.

• They also have the SS American Victory docked there. She served in WWII through the Vietnam war and is being refurbished there, you can tour her for a small, small fee. She is also the same ship they filmed "Mr. Roberts" on starring Henry Fonda.

~While this would not be on the top of my list, it certainly would be on DH's top things to see and do. I appreciate you sharing this information. I had not come across the SS American Victory information yet.

• There are some quaint shops in the Ybor City area.

~Hadn't thought of Ybor City. Will have to research it.

• Channelside (by the aquarium and the terminals) has some nice resturants and and IMAX theater that is an excellent experience.

~IMAX might be nice.

• A GREAT steakhouse that I can recommend is Sam Seltzers. They have several around the area. We ate in the one on N. Dale Mabry and the food was EXCELLENT and the price was pretty reasonable.

~DH will love this also.

• Traffic can be a real bear so try and plan extra time for that.

~I don't look forward to the traffic. I get enough of that at home.

• Busch Gardens is more than carnival rides. Check out thier website

~Thank you. I will check their site. I had counted them out because I thought Busch Gardens was basically an amusement park.

• Take in a Devil Rays's Baseball game.

~I'm not familiar at all with Devil Ray's Baseball game. I'll have to research it.

• Make sure you are there to watch the ladies come in to dock and sail away again. It amazed me how many people lined the roads to watch us sail out.

We didn't make it out of the Tampa/Clearwater area much, but it is pretty easy to get around in except for the tons of traffic and extra long lights.:o

~Oh, I really, r-e-a-l-l-y want to watch the sail-aways. I just know it will make me sad though. I'll want to be on any and every ship leaving port. I just love cruising. Our first cruise was DH's idea. I was really nervous about going and would have loved for him to change his mind. Just a look at the ship, never mind being onboard, and all that went out the window. Once onboard, we were both like kidsNow, I want to go a-l-l the time. I told him he had created a cruise monster.

Thank you so much, Bassnote, for all this information.

Oh Siesta Key and Longboat Key beaches are a couple of my favorite in the world that I have been to. If you are looking for a 1 hour beautiful ride from Tampa I would have to say that would be the place to go. Once on any of those lil islands it is like small villages. Shopping, cute outside patio type restraunts. It really is lovely. As far as traffic goes, remember those are little islands and some of them have draw bridges so you cant really tell what its going to be like. What ever you choose........ENJOY!![/color]

Elle:D

elleusion,

I see you are in Bangor, ME. We were there about 3 years ago...and in Waterville and Bar Harbor. Our visit to Bar Harbor was the first time I ever saw live star fish and octopi in the "wild". I loved ME...and NH.

I'm glad to hear good reports on Siesta Key. Where did you stay when you were there? We are looking into some places in Siesta Village. I haven't read anything on Longboat Key yet. I remember seeing it on the map but I haven't checked out places to stay or things to do. What did y'all do while staying at Siesta Key and Longboat Key? DH and I want to do some snorkeling, boat tours, visit the aquariums in the Tampa area and see some of the sail-aways. There are a few other things in the Tampa area that we'd like to do as well but I'm thinking we will be able to drive back to Tampa for that or do those things before heading to one of the Keys. If needed, we could break our stay and split it between Tampa/Clearwater and Siesta Key or Anna Maria Key (not sure now if it is Anne Maria or Anna Maria).

I'm thinking the traffic will not be as bad in the Key islands as in the Tampa area. I may be wrong about that though.

Thank you for your reply.

Sugar

The Sarasota area has ALOT of diverse things to do. All depends on what you like and prefer. Anywhere from shopping to ARTS. I love walking around St. Armonds Circle< which is a great place to eat and many many shops...some real pricey places others are tourist like. The beaches up and down from here to Tampa are wonderful. I would suggest if you were looking for a dinner cruise or a harbor tour to do that in Tampa. Take a peek in the pre-cruise board there is ALOT of info on hotels and such for the Tampa area. You just need to read thru it all. Enjoy and happy planning!!! Thats 1/2 the fun

Elle

So glad you enjoyed Maine, come back again real soon!!

The Sarasota area has ALOT of diverse things to do. All depends on what you like and prefer. Anywhere from shopping to ARTS. I love walking around St. Armonds Circle< which is a great place to eat and many many shops...some real pricey places others are tourist like. The beaches up and down from here to Tampa are wonderful. I would suggest if you were looking for a dinner cruise or a harbor tour to do that in Tampa. Take a peek in the pre-cruise board there is ALOT of info on hotels and such for the Tampa area. You just need to read thru it all. Enjoy and happy planning!!! Thats 1/2 the fun

Elle

So glad you enjoyed Maine, come back again real soon!!

Elle,

Again, thank you for the information. I did save some messages from the boards regarding the Tampa area that I need to read. There were tons of messages and I didn't get to them all. That is probably something I will do a little at a time.

I do look forward to visiting ME again. My sister and BIL go every summer. She is head of the medical department of Camp Caribou just outside of Waterville. Her daughter lived in Bangor for several years....many years ago.

Sugar

Archived