Bank in Villefrance near the port?

We would like to exchange dollars when we reach port in Villefrance. If you know of a bank near- by, please let me know. (We are aware of atm's, but are using a little different strategy for exchanging). Thanks in advance.

Would you like to explain what your little different strategy is? Exchanging dollars for euros at a bank, in Villefranche or anywhere else in Europe, will lose you money compared to an ATM debit. The only reason I can think one would want to exchange actual dollars would be to get rid of American cash!:D

KnoxvilleSam

Thanks Andym, the map helps. Knoxville, you are correct and I am aware of the discrepancy in the rate of exchange. However, this strategy has more to do with frequent flier miles and fees to exchange. If my numbers are correct, I ultimately come out way ahead. Dumping dollars is not the goal, I can do that with my commodities broker. Thanks

That's what I was worried about. Are you familiar with Villefrance? There appears to be a bank just to the left of the port, but I am not going to spend hours trying to locate one. Jeff, aren't you the one that wrote that great review of St Jean Cap Ferrat? If so, we are really looking forward to the walk and lunch at Le Sloop. Thanks.

That's what I was worried about. Are you familiar with Villefrance? There appears to be a bank just to the left of the port, but I am not going to spend hours trying to locate one. Jeff, aren't you the one that wrote that great review of St Jean Cap Ferrat? If so, we are really looking forward to the walk and lunch at Le Sloop. Thanks.

Yes, I'm really pleased you remember my earlier postings - I use to rent a property on the front in Villefranche and have written the odd walk in the area. Yes, I'm the one re Sloop! I'm back in a couple of weeks for a few days in Nice and then a small cruise.

The whole thread about where to change cash to save a few cents is barmy and I mean this nicely. You don't need much cash and the potential saving on a cruise when risking doing the WRONG thing ie getting euros on board or at an ATM or bringing it with you ins't as important as getting off and wandering. Villefranche is a village. Not a town.

So risk spending $10 more than you need. Get off with a fistfull of overpriced euros and soak it in. All this talk about saving a percent here or there is dumb. That is not what you travelled all this way for.

Anthing I can help with - just post.

jeff

Since reading your original post re the walk, this port has become the one we are most looking forward to. I also went to your web page to view some of your remodeling work...very impressive. I am a builder/developer and have a real interest in architecture. Thanks again for your insight regarding Villefrance and surrounding area, now we don't have to do the proverbial cattle call.

Forgot to ask, after we have lunch at le sloop, we will head over to monte carlo. Are cabs plentiful in St Jean? We really don't want to walk back as it will eat into precious time to be spent elsewhere. Any recomendations?

Thanks for the kind words Scott.

Cabs are not plentiful in St Jean and it is most unlikely you'll simply bump into one. But, it's simple to cure, just ask them to order you one for the time you want as you arrive and it'll be fine. I'm sorry I don't have a web page with remodelling work - you're probably confusing it with a pointer I gave. You will love the walk - it is a glorious one. Shame you don't spend more time in that area and less in Monaco, in fact I predict that as you complete your very leisurely meal you'll turn to your partner and say "have we done the right thing ordering a taxi?!".

I'm so pleased the information was helpful. As you know one or two other people have followed the recs I gave and were very pleased they did. I have a genuine concern that most advice to US visitors is from other US visitors who have been "for the day" and had themselves received their advice from previous US visitors "who had been here for a day" and there is therefore a cycle of people all doing the same thing and missing what. It's a bit frustrating at times that both posters and readers often have difficulty in differentiating and understanding the difference.

Hope you enjoy your visit, and just remember "Forgive them, for they are French!"

Jeff

Thanks again, must of had you confused with someone else re website. I wish we had more than one day on the Riviera so that we could truly enjoy st jean, but my wife and I have decided that the chances of going back to the Riviera are slim when we come back to Europe. Therefore, it seems like a must to at least see Monte Carlo. We ditched Nice and Eze in favor of a romantic walk with a fantastic lunch. Hopefully, all of the tours will be on their way to another spot when we arrive in Monte Carlo. By the way, you mentioned approximately 45 minutes from port to St. Jean via the walking path, is that about right? Does it make any sense to walk back to the hotel from St. Jean and catch the bus/train to Monte Carlo? If so, how long is the walk from St. Jean to the hotel where the path starts? I guess I better learn how to say cab in French lol. Speaking of that, neither of us speak French, are we in trouble? If you ever make it accross the pond and decide to come skiing in Colorado, be sure and let me know.

I thought the walking trail actually begins on the side of a hotel where the main road continues on to Monte Carlo. Am I mistaken?

Yes - the path will take you to the bus that takes you to Monaco or Nice.

Jeff

When going from the hotel Metropole to Le Sloop - you will walk very slowly and stop and look every few minutes - it's unavoidable - that could take 45 minutes to an hour. Walking back around 15 to 10 minutes. When you arrive in St Jean you'll see a little path going down to the beach so walk along the beach and at the end is a little car park. Head towards the water again (the harbour) and in a few yards is sloop. If you always keep as close to the water as you can you will not get lost and you'll find sloop easily. Remember to post and say whether you enjoyed your visit.

Jeff

Archived