Embarkment

beobopus

This is our first cruise. We are leaving on the Dawn 5/20/06 from NYC. What is a good time to be there? Is it better to drive ourselfs & park or take a car service? I have priced the car services & they range about $100 each way & I believe it costs $22 a day to park. Is it easy to park there? I don't want nor need the headache of parking so I would be willing to spend extra money to take a car service if it will be easier for us. I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has gone throught this in NYC.

This is our first cruise. We are leaving on the Dawn 5/20/06 from NYC. What is a good time to be there? Is it better to drive ourselfs & park or take a car service? I have priced the car services & they range about $100 each way & I believe it costs $22 a day to park. Is it easy to park there? I don't want nor need the headache of parking so I would be willing to spend extra money to take a car service if it will be easier for us. I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has gone throught this in NYC.

There are allot of posts on here about this if you look further back....but what we did was use a car service and it was $65.00 for us, it will depend how far you need to go....we had some friends that paid for the parking and had no issues ....depending on how long a cruise your going on, 9 ... 11 night it will depend.......

As for the time to get there, check your tickets as to what time it says you will start embarking on the ship.....this us usually hours before it sails......but you can figure about noon to 2:00 is a good time.....you won't be allowed to get on the ship until everyone from the previous cruise is off....try and relax and things usually go smoother than you think they might and have a great cruise...think you will love this ship........... :)

We've taken a car service 3-X's on the Dawn from NY.

We always arrive at the pier at 11:00 AM. (embarkation)

Be sure to have your driver's cell number for when you return.

A good driver will always be IN-side to retrieve your luggage when you return home;)

Have a wonderful cruise:)

I've done both -- limo service & driving. I did take the limo for my 1st cruise on the Dawn. Once I saw the layout and how easy it was to park a car, we've been driving ourselves for subsequent cruises.

It's so easy to park at the terminal, that my DH & I now just drive ourselves to the pier. The car is safe because you park right on a pier surrounded on 3 sides by water.:rolleyes:

I found that driving ourselves is actually less of a headache. Combining this with express debarkation, it was a breeze going home.

Express debarkation: you are among the 1st ones to leave the ship, but are responsible for carrying (wheeling) your own luggage off the ship.

Rates published at the NY Passenger Terminal website http://www.nypst.com/ are:

Overnight Rate (per 24 Hours) $25.00

Monthly Rate (For Parking in Excess of 8 Days) $180.00

Because this is your first cruise, you may want to take the limo, like we did. Then, for your next cruises :) , you'll feel comfortable driving.

Bon voyage!:D

Like BarbCT605 I have done both several times. It certainly is nice to have someone do the driving and drop you off curbside but on balance driving myself has been easier and faster.

Even on the worst of days parking is a breeze. When you return you have two options one can go up the escalator and bring the car down or you can take the elevator and bring the bags to the car.

When I returned from the Feb. 12th blizzard cruise I was in the tunnel 15 minutes after we exited the customs hall.

One other point the price:)

Cruise Parking (Multi-Day Passengers) $24.00 Per Day

Parking up and to the right

671176953_parkingramp.jpg.302e5437a443029d7f4c8909830fec31.jpg

Cruise Parking (Multi-Day Passengers) $24.00 Per Day

Thanks for picking that up -- I missed the buck-a-day discount for cruisers ($24 vs. $25). Hey, that buck-a-day will pay for 1 Comospolitan on board the Dawn:D

Archived