CB - Bringing Hangers and Coffeemakers?

CrusinAgain

Wow I have never needed extra hangars, and although I need coffee to even make sense in the morning I just am to lazy to pack a pot. Less work to dial room service, then get up, get water, measure the grounds, and wait for the brew.

My one peeve is getting room service to bring two pots. This is because I just get up really early so want a pot on standby for my husband when he gets up.

A luxury for us on a cruise is to linger in the room, we for our jobs are out of the house by 6AM. We do still get up early, but to be able to sit and suck on coffee and have no place to go is to us what a cruise is all about.

I specifically picked a model that did NOT have a warming component or a caraffe - the coffee pours directly into two thermos-like travel mugs, then shuts off. I didn't include this info in the previous posts. Sorry - that might make a difference.

Then you may be OK. I guess it can’t hurt to try – if it becomes an issue, your Room Steward will ask you not to use the device. As for the Princess CSR staff – they often contradict ship board policies – sometimes the policies in effect on a ship aren’t communicated to the land-based office. Not efficient, I agree – but that’s the way it is. Those in charge of the ship are in charge when you’re on it – not the people in Santa Clarita.

I agree with those who feel that bringing a coffee maker is more of a hassle than it’s worth (and some of my friends do it, but I still don’t get it). If you want coffee in the room, room service is available and there’s no charge for it. If you don’t like the room service coffee, you can get the fresh brewed kind – even though it’s a dollar a cup, you’d probably save money over buying a maker if you include the cost of the hassle of bringing it in your luggage.

I agree with those who feel that bringing a coffee maker is more of a hassle than it’s worth (and some of my friends do it, but I still don’t get it). If you want coffee in the room, room service is available and there’s no charge for it. If you don’t like the room service coffee, you can get the fresh brewed kind – even though it’s a dollar a cup, you’d probably save money over buying a maker if you include the cost of the hassle of bringing it in your luggage.

Point taken - it is a hassle, and like I said, upon reflection I might wish that I hadn't bothered. Still, unless I knew it was a safety hazard or broke one of the guidelines, I still think it's worth a shot. This may be the trip I look back on and say, "What was I thinking?" :p

On a side note, bdjam - I appreciate that, while disagreeing with my preference, you didn't put down my decision or act too judgemental. I never mind someone giving me their honest opinion, even when they don't agree with mine, so long as they have the "live and let live" policy, as I try to have.

Smiles all around!

Vanessa

On a side note, bdjam - I appreciate that, while disagreeing with my preference, you didn't put down my decision or act too judgemental. I never mind someone giving me their honest opinion, even when they don't agree with mine, so long as they have the "live and let live" policy, as I try to have.

Smiles all around!

Vanessa

Good luck with the coffee maker…

Thanks, Pam – I was going to say the same thing. On Regal Princess, coffee makers, cup warmers, anything with a burner or warmer were forbidden from cabins. In addition to that, there was mention made that anything that plugs in – camera or phone chargers, blow dryers, curling irons – should be unplugged when the cabin is not occupied (and I would assume the Room Steward would take it upon themselves to do so if need be).

Where are you getting your information? They didn't say a word or print a word about any of this on the Princess ship we were just on. Our coffeemaker made the coffee and off it went and we unplugged it.

Once again, with us, its not the fact of having to drink the cruises colored water called coffee, its having to get dressed to go get the coffee instead of relaxing upon waking up. A cold soda drink doesn't do it for me.

We'll be on the Crown. Isn't there a card you can hang on your door every evening for room service the following morning??? :confused:

Less work to dial room service, then get up, get water, measure the grounds, and wait for the brew.

Where are you getting your information? They didn't say a word or print a word about any of this on the Princess ship we were just on. Our coffeemaker made the coffee and off it went and we unplugged it.

Once again, with us, its not the fact of having to drink the cruises colored water called coffee, its having to get dressed to go get the coffee instead of relaxing upon waking up. A cold soda drink doesn't do it for me.

Perhaps room service could fulfill your coffee-undressed needs?

I get my information from the cruise that I just finished on Regal Princess - I embarked on 5/1 and disembarked on 5/16. There was a letter left in each cabin indicating what was prohibited from use inside the cabin and there were announcements made at the muster drill of same.

Well, as I stated before, since I got the okay from the CSR on the 800-princess line, and it doesn't say anywhere in the pre-cruise docs that I can't take it, I'm going to try to take my mini-coffeemaker on my first cruise that is coming up in July. I'll be on the Sun, traveling 7 days RT to Alaska from Seattle, starting July 2. I'm not going to hide it from security during embarkation, I'll keep it on the counter (albeit unplugged) in my cabin, and I will listen for guidelines during muster drill, and read the info that they leave in the cabin. If you all wouldn't mind waiting a month or so, I'll let you know what happens with the coffeemaker. I'm not sure how it translated to other itineraries/ships in the line, but it's the best I can do.

Drinking my 2nd cup of coffee as I type this (Sigh, admitting the problem is the FIRST step!);)

-Vanessa

Be sure and let us know - we're going in July. I will not drink the stuff that they serve for room service. Last time I even tried saving those little chocolates they put on the pillow at night and melt them in the coffee. (thought this might mask the taste) It didn't work!! I would also be willing to pay for espresso-like coffees, but the patisserie does not open till 7am, and sometimes we are up before then. This is why I always bring a coffeemaker. Like Toto, we leave it for them, and they have always been thrilled. Don't see how it is any different than a curling iron as far as the fire issues go.

Perhaps room service could fulfill your coffee-undressed needs?

I get my information from the cruise that I just finished on Regal Princess - I embarked on 5/1 and disembarked on 5/16. There was a letter left in each cabin indicating what was prohibited from use inside the cabin and there were announcements made at the muster drill of same.

Could be due to the Regal being an older ship why you got a forbidden item list. We only left 2 days apart from each other but the CB is a newer ship otherwise I don't see the difference.

As far as room service, yeah, we tried that before but true coffee addicts want their fix as soon as they wake up and there is no room service on the last day on Princess cruises.

As far as hangers go, I found that packing my clothes with the hangers on them worked out great. Unpacking took less than 15 minutes and then packing took the same. This was the quickest unpacking and packing I have ever done on a cruise. Leaving your clothes on the hangers also alleviates the problems of the room not having enough hangers. Amazingly we didn't even need to use our steamer or go down to use the iron.

Could be due to the Regal being an older ship why you got a forbidden item list. We only left 2 days apart from each other but the CB is a newer ship otherwise I don't see the difference.

I don’t know that the age of the ship makes any difference. Both ships have the same level of fire suppression systems in the cabins and none on the balconies. In fact the balconies on Regal Princess are more protected from possible fire in that they are not tiered as are Caribbean’s.

Apparently the base policy is being made by the cruise line, but other considerations are being added on each particular ship.

On my recent Regal cruise, my cabin steward brought hot coffee every morning at 7:15 am. Do you need coffee earlier than that on vacation? I thought the point of being on vacation was being able to sleep in. He also brought chocolate croissants to room every morning. Maybe you all should try the Regal?

On my recent Regal cruise, my cabin steward brought hot coffee every morning at 7:15 am. Do you need coffee earlier than that on vacation? I thought the point of being on vacation was being able to sleep in. He also brought chocolate croissants to room every morning. Maybe you all should try the Regal?

This has NOTHING to do with getting Princess coffee delivered, but it is for those of us that don't consider what they serve 'coffee'. I have never tasted anything so nasty in my life. Heck, it even smells bad. ARGH! I have tried it everywhere on the ship for 16 Princess Cruises and except for the fresh brewed at the lobby bar, I can't stand any of it. Even in the dining room, the smell of it turns my stomach.

So, we all know we can have it delivered anytime we would like, but I wouldn't wash my deck in that stuff. YES, I consider it that bad and I know I am not alone in this.

This has NOTHING to do with getting Princess coffee delivered, but it is for those of us that don't consider what they serve 'coffee'. I have never tasted anything so nasty in my life. Heck, it even smells bad. ARGH!

Think you are beating a dead horse. You have to remember the majority of Americans have never had a real cup of coffee.

I bring my own coffee pot, a burr grinder to grind my own coffee beans that I roasted. The coffee pot does NOT have a warming plate, coffee is brewed in a carafe.

Plus I am up at 5 each morning, I am on vacation and LOVE the peace and quiet of the mornings with a real cup of coffee.

I think you are correct 'seagar', but I just get frustrated when others think we want to bring our 'own' because we are too lazy to pick up the phone or for other reasons. It has nothing at all to do with anything except 'taste' and that is something that we just can't seem to start our day without, 'a good cuppa coffee'! :)

We have a monster 40” rolling suitcase. I pack my clothes first, right out of the closet on wire hangers. Fold the sleeves in and stagger the hangers slightly so not to make a bump out of all the wire knots in one place. 5” and I’m finished, leaving the other 9” for the wife.

Depending on the length of vacation, just hang everything up once on the boat or transfer to the Princess wooden hangers.

This has NOTHING to do with getting Princess coffee delivered, but it is for those of us that don't consider what they serve 'coffee'. I have never tasted anything so nasty in my life. Heck, it even smells bad. ARGH! I have tried it everywhere on the ship for 16 Princess Cruises and except for the fresh brewed at the lobby bar, I can't stand any of it. Even in the dining room, the smell of it turns my stomach.

So, we all know we can have it delivered anytime we would like, but I wouldn't wash my deck in that stuff. YES, I consider it that bad and I know I am not alone in this.

I agree 100000%

we bring a small coffee maker and a zip lock bag of coffee from home. We order creme, sugar and coffee cups in the morning from room service. If they accidentally send "coffee" we just dump it out.

I think you are correct 'seagar', but I just get frustrated when others think we want to bring our 'own' because we are too lazy to pick up the phone or for other reasons. It has nothing at all to do with anything except 'taste' and that is something that we just can't seem to start our day without, 'a good cuppa coffee'! :)

Actually, I don't think you are lazy. I feel sad for you that you have a coffee addiction. I would liken it to cigarette smoking, drugs, or anything else that causes one to obsess over something so trivial. What do you do on long airplane flights? Have you ever asked the stewardess to brew your own for coffee you? Not trying to be smart, just curious how you handle your addiction.

Actually, I don't think you are lazy. I feel sad for you that you have a coffee addiction. I would liken it to cigarette smoking, drugs, or anything else that causes one to obsess over something so trivial. What do you do on long airplane flights? Have you ever asked the stewardess to brew your own for coffee you? Not trying to be smart, just curious how you handle your addiction.

Ummmm.....Guess you don't quite grasp it. Coffee addiction does not mean someone has to have it all day long. I know I enjoy it first thing in the morning but other than that I don't drink it after breakfast hours.

Also your question regarding your steward delivers it at 7:15 every morning is fine unless your ship pulls into dock at 7 like so many do and you along with the rest of the crowd have to meet an excursion shortly thereafter.

Interesting, I never thought someone who was particular about their coffee would be considered an addict. My experience in life is some people are just particular about certain foods.

I am not overly concerned about the flavor of my coffee. I worked graveyards in a hospital for five years. That coffee could eat through a foam cup. It was to keep us all awake. I like non strong coffee now. I make it weak.

So what I am served is fine. I just call when I wake up. I never plan my morning wake up. I always dream of sleeping in. Normally up by five. It is nice to watch the ship pull into ports. Year round habits are hard to break. I also dream of staying up past 9PM. Maybe after we retire.

On a side note, our cabin steward on the Coral was telling us about another steward that was fired because of an iron. A couple brought an iron so he told them it would have to be held until the last night of the cruise. They pleaded with him and told him they would keep it in the safe when not in the cabin. He agreed but they left it out and an inspector found it so the steward was immediately fired and put off at the next port.

This was last year so I'm sure the rules will be much more stringent now.

Ummmm.....Guess you don't quite grasp it. Coffee addiction does not mean someone has to have it all day long. I know I enjoy it first thing in the morning but other than that I don't drink it after breakfast hours.

Also your question regarding your steward delivers it at 7:15 every morning is fine unless your ship pulls into dock at 7 like so many do and you along with the rest of the crowd have to meet an excursion shortly thereafter.

I will quote my friend BDJAM, "...I'm easily pleased or have no taste....". And you are right, regardless of the ship's schedule, DH and I never leave our cabin before 9:00am. Then we use our elite member tickets to cut in the tender line. ;)

I will quote my friend BDJAM, "...I'm easily pleased or have no taste....". And you are right, regardless of the ship's schedule, DH and I never leave our cabin before 9:00am. Then we use our elite member tickets to cut in the tender line. ;)

Aren’t those tender tickets just the bomb? I think they are one of the best Elite perks. Those and the canapés on formal night…! We'll get along fine - I usually don't wake up until 9:00 when I'm on vacation!

Archived