Capt. Marvin vs. Capt. Bryan

snorkelmom2

We've done a Captain Bryan's tour twice, and we're going again in a couple weeks. I've seen lots of bad reviews for Capt. Marvin, but none for Capt. Bryan. I wouldn't hesitate to go with him again. Plus it gives us a little time for shopping and lunch :) There's a wonderful bakery right next to their office, once you check in for the tour you have a little down time before they're ready to go.

We used Captain Marvin's both times we were in Grand Cayman, and had a ball. We're using them again next January when we visit. I think both Captain Marvin and Bryan are Eubanks. I believe most of these families are related in some fashion.

You're going to read good and bad reviews about everyone, even Captain Bryan's. Honestly, I think you're going to have a great time no matter which one of these companies you use. We just had a great time with CM's and see no reason to change.

Have a great time!

oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh...now I can't decide. The pros for Capt. Marvin's are that my son is 11, and he is considered a child, whereas he would pay adult price on Capt. Bryan's. Also their site says they include food for stingrays and a snorkle vest. What about Cpat. Bryan's?

pros for Bryans - The catamaran sounds roomier and I've heard Bryan's carries fewer people at a time than the others. I may have to flip a coin! Thanks for your replys.

We used Capt Marvin's last week and weren't overly impressed. It was ok, but not the service experience I was expecting. We didn't feed the stingrays. The guide was in the water and caught a stingray for people to touch and hold. He did not get in the water at the snorkel stops. None of them were overly friendly. So, it was just an "ok" experience and I would probably choose someone else the next time.

Just returned a few weeeks ago from Cayman. Did trip with Capt. Bryan on the catamaran. Great time, not crowded, had all the equipment if you need it along with food for the rays. Went with wife and two kids age 10 and 12. Swam with rays and did two snorkle stops, plenty of time to shop upon return.

easy booking on-line and easy to find.

Just returned a few weeeks ago from Cayman. Did trip with Capt. Bryan on the catamaran. Great time, not crowded, had all the equipment if you need it along with food for the rays. Went with wife and two kids age 10 and 12. Swam with rays and did two snorkle stops, plenty of time to shop upon return.

easy booking on-line and easy to find.

Thanks for the post. I've made my decision...capt. Bryan's on the buc. Did you guys take a lunch along?

I noticed that Capt Marvin includes an additional snorkeling spot.

He does Stingrays, coral gardens and an additional spot.

Does Capt Bryan do that as well.. I see only Stingrays and one snorkel spot?

Can anyone who has done this clarify for me. I am about to book with either one. I love to snorkel, so that is how I will make my decesion.

Thanks

I noticed that Capt Marvin includes an additional snorkeling spot.

He does Stingrays, coral gardens and an additional spot.

Does Capt Bryan do that as well.. I see only Stingrays and one snorkel spot?

Can anyone who has done this clarify for me. I am about to book with either one. I love to snorkel, so that is how I will make my decesion.

Thanks

We've done both...the 2-stop and the 3-stop. The first time we did the 2-stop because we weren't sure we'd like snorkeling (ha-can you imagine?), and the second time we did the longer version. You basically stop at one more location...and our extra stop was the reef. That's where we saw the eel and the shark. It was really neat.

We just booked the Bucaneer for our 6/11 cruise. It leaves at 1030 and goes to 130. Its our first experience snorkeling (well hubby did once but got stung by a sea urchin so it was kind of a turn-off). I'm really looking forward to it and of course the sting rays. Bringing our 17 year old and her 19 year old friend.I hope we have fun (yes, we are big wussys!) :)

After reading such great reviews about the stingray excursion with Capt Marvin, I tried to book with him for May 25th when we will be there on the Rhaspody. After giving all my information including my CC info. I got an email saying my request had been received but after that I have not heard anything else from them. So I don't know if I have a reservation or not. BTW, this was a week ago. I emailed them again today, maybe I will hear something soon. If I don't, what would you do? Try to book with someone else? Has anyone else had this problem before? Thanks for your help.

Swimming with rays and then two snorkle stops with Capt, Bryan was just right. If they pull up to the rays and a lot of other boats are present, they may make one of the snorkle stops first. My kids and myself sat up on top of the catamaran on the trip out and back, great view.

One thing I always do is bring some bread, crackers, or cereal really works great. The fish love it and you will be their favorite, don't forget.

We ate breakfast on the ship and there is a very nice bakery right next to the meeting place. They provide punch and water on the catamaran.

After reading such great reviews about the stingray excursion with Capt Marvin, I tried to book with him for May 25th when we will be there on the Rhaspody. After giving all my information including my CC info. I got an email saying my request had been received but after that I have not heard anything else from them. So I don't know if I have a reservation or not. BTW, this was a week ago. I emailed them again today, maybe I will hear something soon. If I don't, what would you do? Try to book with someone else? Has anyone else had this problem before? Thanks for your help.

We've never had any problems booking with them. You'll hear from Joan or Ruth by the first of next week. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Captain Bryan was the best! Only 17 of us on the tour. Geico was a great tour guide. Can't remeber the name of the other guy, the one who swam after the sting everytime we "lost" her. We had LOTS of time with the stingray. The other tours were so crowded, I heard complaints that they didn't get to hold, feed, kiss the stingray. And they paid $70 for their tours, I only paid $35. And the catamarran was so cool!

I highly recommend Captain Bryan.

Captain Bryan was the best! Only 17 of us on the tour. Geico was a great tour guide. Can't remeber the name of the other guy, the one who swam after the sting everytime we "lost" her. We had LOTS of time with the stingray. The other tours were so crowded, I heard complaints that they didn't get to hold, feed, kiss the stingray. And they paid $70 for their tours, I only paid $35. And the catamarran was so cool!

I highly recommend Captain Bryan.

shhh:cool: at least until after 7-18

I've noticed 2 different tours with Capt Bryan, the Buccaneer with 3 stops and another with 2 stops. Anyone know with one would be best, more convenient with ship times, etc.? The cost is only a few dollars difference.

Tina

We've decided on the 3-stop and couldn't be more excited! I would love to hear from others about your other snorkel stops besides the stingrays. How difficult was the snorkeling (choppy water, etc)? What were the stops like? Also, did you guys take food aboard for lunch?

We've always done the 2 stop tour with Capt. Bryan, I think it depends on what time you're going to be in port and when you have to be back on board, we've always had to leave by 3:30, so we've had the earlier tours. There were 9 of us on the last tour we did (there were only 2 ships in port that day) It was amazing, our friends were so impressed with the catamaran ride on the way back. So relaxing!

Archived