Do you wear shorts part 2?

How often do you wear shorts for dinner in the formal dinning room?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you wear shorts for dinner in the formal dinning room?

• Never
    • Once
    • Twice
    • Three Times
    • Four Times
    • Always

...how often would you wear shorts to the formal dinning room on a 5 night cruise?

Many variables, but several of our cruises have been 5 nighters, so here is the breakdown:

Splendour of Seas x 2, both in March from Galveston. Shorts first night and last night.

Ecstasy x 3, one before the fire and two after. November sailings on 2 of them. No shorts at dinner, khakis and polo's on non-formals.

Celebration, November sailing from Galveston. Jeans the first night, and khaki's on non-formal nights after.

Bored yet?

Majesty of the Seas, 4 nighter; khaki's on each night, few dressed up beyond a sport coat on formal night

On the seven nighter's we've taken I've worn shorts the entire first day if we sailed in warm weather and khakis on non formal nights

Carnival Mardi Gras 1976, teenager, cheap suit, bad tie, bad haircut, low tolerance for alcohol and the need for pursuit of many young women on the ship for a graduation party...

Someone else stated that mass market cruises have turned their heads and I agree. With the newer ships offering alternative dining and NCL going to freestyle I forsee the "smart casual" dinner option being a thing of the future. I'd define that as polos or a collared shirt for men and khaki shorts. Jean shorts and t-shirts would not be allowed. That'd work for me.

I also see an option of casual dinner seating and a formal dinner seating. That would give families the option of eating early and not carrying all those dress clothes with the weight restrictions airlines are imposing.

Conquest planned in June, Ecstasy in November; khaki's every night except formal and dark business suit for formals. Wear 'em every day, one evening will not kill me. I do have a habit of dashing back to the room each night after dinner and changing to golf style khaki shorts and a bright flowered or polo shirt.

Just my opinion.

I don't believe that for a minute!!!!!!!

I don't think it's super casual run amok by any means. That said, it is more casual than 20 years ago, far more.

On one hand cruising, like air travel, has opened to allow more people from all walks of life to enjoy the experience. On the other no one dresses up to travel anymore. I miss that.

Bored yet?

Yes, I'm still waiting on you to post the changes to the GMRS license!

Personally, I've never worn shorts to dinner in the dining room, and won't. I don't care to travel on one of the new freestyle lines, I have thoroughly enjoyed RCL. I used to get worked up about the dress code discussions, but after Mariner, where I saw one well dressed lady giving the Maitre D' (thanks to either Merion_Mom or Nliedel for posting the correct spelling in one of their posts somewhere, I was just butchering it) a terrible time, and one of our tablemates who was a lot of fun to chat with, but his idea of formal wear was jeans and a cotton shirt with a tie. First night at our table, jeans and a white, crew neck skivvy t-shirt with his Corona Extra Panama Jack style hat, that he wore all through dinner. It really didn't affect anything at our table, we talked and laughed and had a good time, much more so I believe than if the couple who were abusing the Maitre D' had been there.

Yes, the first night is technically, "Come as you are." So if all you have is a bathing suit... lol!

I always have a carry on with a change of clothes and a bathing suit. If I get no luggage I can survive. Barely

Now wait a second there... I think even the first night there's rules about going BARELY:eek:

Now wait a second there... I think even the first night there's rules about going BARELY:eek:

You know it's only a matter of time till someone goes in their skivvies. After all, it's their vacation and they want to be comfy. ;)

My DH may wear them on the first night. My DDs may wear skorts. But I do not like my legs enough to have shorts on at dinner. Especially when sitting in a chair squishes all the fat out to the sides for really attractive saddlebags:eek: with dimples. But if I had fabulous legs I would probably never wear pants again. ;)

Never! Never! Never! Would any of my family wear shorts for the evening dinner. We have all worn conservative shorts or crop pants for Brkfast and lunch in the dinning room. We always follow the dress code for dinner. I believe the dress code is speaking about the evening dinner; not brkfast or lunch.

Archived