Walkie-talkies onboard?

Kooma

GMRS is called the citizen's radio service in Europe and is called PMR446. A license is not required to use them, like FRS in America. They also don't require a license in Canada either. GMRS is limited to 5 watts and FRS to a half a watt transmitting power. You must buy GMRS radio first before you apply to the FCC and then wait for approval before you can legally use them in the US. These are the radios that you can buy in any Radio Shack that says on the package the range is up to 10 miles. The salesman doesn't necessarily tell you that, but if the FCC catches you it could be a large fine. There is a lot of unlicensed use in the US use because it is rarely enforced. I have a call into the cruise line and asked about Mexico. It would be interesting to know if they were illegal in Asia in countries like Japan and China. If Princess rents these radios, they would be the ultimate authority because I doubt they would violate the laws of any port they visit.

FRS is relatively low power and line of sight. Maximum range is 3 miles with radio to radio and any barrier greatly reduces that. I have heard of people being able to talk up to 25 miles with GMRS in very ideal conditions. I know a couple that took their Marine Band radios from their boat on cruise once. They were told to stay off certain channels because their chatter was being listened to in the bridge.

Radio listening is a little hobby of mine at sea. You can hear shortwave stations from all over the world and listen to your ship talk to other ships. It's great for getting weather reports too. Makes a day and night at sea interesting when you have seen all the movies.

Of coarse I always use headphones.

GMRS is probably your best bet as far as both power and legality. The FRS band is legal in the US and Canada, but I believe it cuts into the emergency band in Europe. One thing to note about the GRMS is that although they are available in up to 5 watt power in the US, their use in Canada is limited to 2 watts. If you want to have a truly universal set, look for one that support multiple power ranges - usually .5 watt (The FRS maximum) 2 watt and 5 watt. I have a set from Midland (the GXT500) which supports the three powers on GMRS, 0.5 watts on its FRS frequencies, and has a built in weather radio.

I took a pair of the original 0.5 watt Motorola Talkabouts on my last cruise on the Sun Princess, and they were not powerful enough to cut through the metal in the ship, though others have found them fine on the Grand Class ships. I have heard others complain about FRS on the Dawn Princess, so I suspect you'll need a higher wattage GMRS for the Sun class ships - either the 2 watt or 5 watt.

And for those who despise the use of them on board, yes, there are obnoxious people who misuse these radios and disturb people. There are also people who use these discreetly and politely. Just like there are a large number of obnoxious people who misuse alcohol on board and disturb people, as well as people who discreetly and politely use alcohol. Or video cameras. Or flash photography. Or cigarettes. Or, frankly, people who just talk loudly.

Might I suggest, before coming down rudely on some asking a legitimate question, you spend some time learning to distinguish the tool from the abuser. Otherwise you are a hypocrite if you engage in any activity which can possibly be abused and disturb others, regardless of how politely you use it.

Booze? Hey, leave it at home or toss it overboard, right?

Well put buddy!

I think there are alot of cruisers who need to:

A) take a vacation on a deserted island where there won't be any other

annoying people with annoying habits or using annoying electonic

devices.

or...

B) rent their own cruise ship and limit access to people who are just

like them. It wouldn't be very interesting but at least they'd all be

happy (or whining) together.

Buddy,

You forget something, how about women who wear way too much perfume or men who wear cologne/after shave. Talk about making others sick. Sometimes the cigarette smoke smells better.

Yup, that's another one, and, I have to admit, one I can be guilty of too. I think for people who wear the same scent constantly loose awareness of how strong it smells.

But thank you for pointing it out - to be more considerate, I'll limit my Jo Malone Amber and Lavender to one spritz instead of two while I'm on the ship. :)

We've used these handy devices on the last three cruises and found them to be wonderful for locating your husband or wife. We don't talk loudly, and only use short sentences i.e. "where are you?" They are wonderful. We have the Motorola T5720, there is probably a newer version, and when we had trouble talking on one channel, we would switch to another. We did not use them in the dining room, or where anyone would be annoyed. Just be a good neighbor and no one should be bothered. Have a great trip!:)

I used to use them with my kids. We weren't obnoxious with them, we were simply using them to locate each other and check in with the family.

Until one day when my walkie crackled to life with my son's voice, "Fart-knocker Two, Fart-knocker One, over."

Then my daughter's voice, "Fart-knocker One, Fart-knocker Two, Go."

And to think that I taught them the military alphabet. We left them at home this past trip.

RB

The walkie-talkies or the kids? :)

I was in Mexico yesterday. (Rocky Point) There are lots of people using GMRS, FRS radios. The must be legal there or the authorities don't care. Lots of people talking in English which means they are brought in from the US. Very useful on the beaches as there is little cell phone service.

We used them just last week on the Golden, although with a ship that big, reception was hit or miss. Only used them twice on board, but took them to every port. GREAT for being able to split up yet still keep in touch.

And I DO agree with everyone that posted about them being rude. There was one family on board with 5 kids and they all had them. Seems you couldn't go anywhere without one of them screaming into it at one time or another. Not exactly what you want while on vacation, but we survived.

So to sum up, great idea for excursions and ports, but leave them in the cabin while on board. (Just my two cents)

We have used them on our last three cruises. We like to talk extremely loud into them and make loud bathroom noises. Everyone really likes it when we do it, especially while in the dining room or when we're by the pool hoging chairs and letting our babies swim in the pool with diapers. :rolleyes: Just kidding...we don't have any kids yet. :D

Seriously, we have used them and they are quite efficient when you have a group (like ours) that likes to split up for stuff (me and the MIL go to the spa while the DH and FIL are off getting into trouble). Most of them have a "vibrate or silent" function and you can't even hear them. We make a consious effort to talk quietly and see no problem with others doing the same. Bring them along; they'll come in handy. Just remember the "Golden Rule" and you'll be fine.

OF COURSE RADIOS ARE PERFECTLY LEGAL IN MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!

You can use

ANY FREQUENCY -

AT ANY TIME -

ANYWHERE!

The military codes their frequencies....... even if we tried to, VERY few people would be able to hack into them and that's only with SPECIAL devices in which you can change BOTH the amplitude and frequency of radio waves! These devices are not sold at Circuit City..... amateur radios which most of us have are harmless!

Don't worry about their LEGALITY - they are LEGAL!!!!

Radios are a good form of communication in Mexico just as much as they are in the US. Plus the cruise ships would NEVER rent them out if it was a CRIME!

OF COURSE RADIOS ARE PERFECTLY LEGAL IN MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus the cruise ships would NEVER rent them out if it was a CRIME!

Technically that's not true. While the FRS frequencies are legal, there is also a requirement for Mexican certification, which few radios purchased in the US will have.

(1) Dual-mode GMRS/FRS equipment is not approved in Mexico.

(2) It wouldn't be the first time that cruise lines - with the best of intentions - gave out inaccurate or misleading information.

See: http://www.geocities.com/wd9ewk/xe-frs.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

Will they hasle you? Probably not. But you've been warned!

-----Burton

The Mexican free-use channels also include many others at VHF and UHF, some allowing up to 5 watts output, and some with limitations forbidding their use within 150km of an international border - to avoid interfering with licensed radio services of Mexico's neighbors.

I find this statement to be pretty funny when you consider that Mexico hasn't cared about the powerful radio stations that have broadcast into the US for years without regard to who they might be walking on. Right across the border. The author of this also states That you should use his information at your own risk. So it's not high on my list to worry about.

Travel in parts of Mexico is risky to begin with. One of these radios might save your life, or give your companions vital information if there is trouble.

Has anyone asked the cruise line? I am sure they would know. Other questions I need to know is can I wear bluejeans on formal night? Smoke cigars in the Movie Theater and use chewing tobacco in the swimming pool? I sure would hate to offend anyone.

ALL EXCELLENT IDEAS! LOL not We used the Motorola Walkie Talkies when we took the kids (teenagers). We were careful about their use but they really came in handy. I'd never cruise without them again. What I really hate is everywhere we go those STUPID Nextels in stores, restaurants, everywhere!. ARRRGGGGGG Now those are annoying! I figure as long as you are careful to turn them off when appropriate they are terrific. Take them - but use your new powers wisely.

Archived