belize zoo/baboon sanctuary

critcatny

Heard that the belize zoo is real good...but not sure if we will do that or the baboon sanctuary when we cruise in June...Just wondering if there might be enough time to do both and the best way to do it (not sure how far apart they are)? Cab? Personal Tour Guide? If someone has been to both....I'd love to hear what your opinion is of each? Thanks! Happy Cruising!

We have not been to Belize yet (going for a week in June), but we have a close friend who was a missionary there for years. He said that the Belize zoo is one of his favorite places in the world. He did say that the earlier you get there in the morning the better chance you have of seeing the animals because during the hottest part of the day they tend to take shelter. As for the baboon sanctuary, we are very interested in visiting there ourselves, so I did some research. Apparently the chance of seeing the monkeys there is pretty good. From what I have read, it is basically forest that has been designated a safety zone for the monkeys and has been very successful. There is a rangers office where you pay an entrance fee and then are allowed to walk around. I found a tour guide on the web that will take you to do both. Have not personally used him, but read good reviews. Experience Belize (leave out the space, add .com) is the website. Good luck. Seeing the wildlife is my primary goal in Belize too. Hope you have a good time.

Archived