Grandparents, parents and kids -- a ship that can please all?

gpmtrixie

We are considering a cruise with our kids next summer (10 & 12 at that time) and their grandparents who are just over 75, but both in good physical and mental shape. We (mom and dad) are in our 40s and only moderately mentally impaired for even considering this. This would be the first cruise for us and kids, but not for the grandparents. A few starter questions:

Are there certain ships that any of the experts out there would recommend or conversely some that we should avoid given the mix of ages?

Would a big suite state room for all 6 of us be too much togetherness for a 5-7 day cruise? I see some ships have these.

When do cruise reservations for June - Aug of 2007 start to become available?

Remember, I'm completely new to the cruising way of life, so I may be asking dumb questions, but any comments would be appreciated.

We have cruised with three generations three times (so far, next one planned for Feb. 07). For us, a large stateroom would be way too much togetherness. The grandparents always get their own cabin, usually a higher category than the rest of us. Sometimes they are close to us; next time, they will be on another floor.

These vacations work for us because we are together as much as we want and we are accepting of time away from each other.

I would choose a cruise line where there is plenty for the kids to do, as well as adult activities. So far, we have only gone on Carnival; next year, we are on Royal Caribbean.

In ports, we are together for part of the time, but often go separate ways from the grandparents (who don't like too much beach or shopping).

We always have dinner together on the ship and usually go to shows together. We also hang out together during the sea days and try to do activities together. But, it's not mandatory. If we tried to figure out what everyone wanted to do together, it probably wouldn't be a vacation!

I can't comment on other cruiselines because I've only been on one so far. But, the reason our family does cruise together is because there is something for everyone.

I should mention that my kids were 13 and 10 on this year's cruise; this is the 4th year we did this (grandparents skipped one year). My brother's family has joined us a couple of times too -- his children are now 7 and 5. We are low 40's; grandparents are late 60's (and very active).

There is so much great information on these boards. Keep reading - you are lucky to have found CC!

We too are going on first cruise and are multi-generational. Youngest are grandkids 12-26.....parents in 40's and then we come along in our 70's. We got 8 cabins most on one deck but some upgraded and our on upper decks. So far we are planning on dinners together (not mandatory) but mostly doing what we all please....no pressure on anyone to have to stick together. I don't think we would want to put more than 3 in a cabin...too much togetherness!! I checked out a couple of cruise lines but frankly liked the Carnival Miracle and we are sailing July 2nd Western Caribbean and really excited. It will be our 50th wedding anniversary and this is our gift to the family and we are really looking forward to this. I started planning this in November using a group planner from Carnival to help and have been pleased with their help. Heaven knows I must have driven them crazy with all my questions........but read these boards..........you will learn almost everything you want to know!!!

We too are multi-generations of family traveling together this summer-29 of us to be exact. I would definitely not go for the suite-Think extra bathrooms!!!! Think privacy!!!!Think not too much togetherness!!!! Younger generations are very different from older generations. Even if they usually do fine together in every day life, why push the envelope?When people start to get tired at the end of vacations, this is when emotions, tempers, etc can change and problems can arise. Better everyone has a place to retreat to. We are all planning on doing our own thing on our reunion, but planning plenty of together time also. We are going on NCL Spirit because their kids programs looked superb. Last cruise I was on, with my mom, who suffered with Alzheimers and my older sister, we shared one balcony cabin and had a great time, but normally three adults with one bathroom would be way too much (showers would take forever if in shifts). People we met on this cruise, raved about the kids program and this was aboard RCCL. Hope this helps. Regardless of what you choose, it will be the memories that will make it worthwhile to all.:)

Consider Royal Caribbean's Radiance class or Voyager class. These ships have tons of activities for all ages. The Radiance class will be a little more elegant and a little easier to navigate than the Voyager class but the Voyager class will have an ice skating rink (which is really cool for the kids plus they have amazing ice shows). Honestly, I think the Grandparents would prefer the Radiance class and the kids won't know the difference.

With two adult couples and two kids, I would either look at the Royal Family Suite which has two bedrooms and two bathrooms, plus a common area. This cannot be booked online, you must call to book it. Or look at getting two adjoining staterooms, which may actually cost less. I would not recommend the Family Oceanview Stateroom with more than 2 adults, since it only has one bathroom and does not really have 2 sleeping areas.

I believe Royal Caribbean will open bookings for next summer on or around May 3rd.

Seems like most prefer sleeping apart, so I will keep that in mind. We are actually considering this as a 50th anniversary gift to my husband's parents. I haven't asked if they're interested yet because I wanted to figure out if it was a feasible idea first. Sounds like it is, as long as you don't have expectations of doing everything together.

gpmtrixie - I'm the grandpart in a three generation group of cruisers (although a very young grandma!). We've been on both Carnival & RCI ships. If your in-laws are experienced cruisers they will most likely prefer RCI as do we. Both have excellent kid programs but RCI is a bit more sophisticated for the adults.

Dinner together every night is manditory but let everyone do their "own" thing during the day (once the kids realize how cool kid camp is they'll have to be dragged away). Seperate rooms is also a good idea - while the grandparents love their grandkids it can be a bit much to spend that much time together in cramped (and even the suites are cramped with that many bodies) quarters.

Go for it and have a great time!

Interesting question and posts. We are a family of ten, my grandmother 93 years old, my parents mid 60's, dh and myself mid-40's, brother early 40's and 4 kids- 17, 13, 12 & 10.

1. We would never be able to stand one another staying in any suite together. LOL Dh will not even consider a land vacation in a 10,000 sq ft villa for this reason and ship's space is much smaller. My grandmother will sail in nothing less than a balcony cabin, so we do try to get 4 cabins which are all next to one another, but this is not always possible. If it is affordable, at leat one suite is nice if only for a nice place to have pre-dinner cocktails/gatherings or as in our case, opening gifts Christmas Eve and such.

2. Everyone is free to do whatever they wish during the day. We do some excursions all 10 of us when it appeals to all, and sometimes we will split up. The adults always end up eating together each evening. The kids eat with us for the most part, only staying with the kid's club if they are offering something better than family companionship!

3. It is really special for both my parents and grandmother to share their travels with their grandchildren and great-grandchildren and has created many wonderful memories with hopefully many more to come.

We're doing our first multi-generational in July to Alaska. We (66 and 71), our kids - 40s and grandkids ranging 7-15. We're on Celebrity's Mercury because we've done that itinerary before and it's the first 7 day cruise for the rest. Nice mix of sea days and port days with docks very close to the sites and one day glacier watching. Our joy will be to see the sights through the eyes of the kids. Will be doing different things most days and, hopefully, have dinners together. We're celebrating our 45th anniversary on the 1st formal night and are looking forward to being with the whole family (pictures, toasts, etc.). Really looking forward - somewhat anxiously - and hoping they love cruising as much as we do.

Carnival cruises are good for big family cruises. THis is just my opinion but i am going on a big family cruise on the legend and there is something for everyone to do Its a Big family thing, my grandparents,aunt, uncle, cousins, siblings, nieces, sister, parents and me. From ages 70-1yr old. You should look into a carnival cruise. There is something for everyone. My advice is do a lot of research on the cruises before booking them. Some cruises dont have a lot of stuff for the younger crowd

Archived