RCI in August

amyo28

Hello all. Me, singificant other, and married couple friends want to go on a seven day cruise in the carribbean in august. we can choose from Freedom, Mariner, and Navigator, they are basically around the same price for a balcony room as we need to go in the first two weeks of August.

1) Which should we choose? All seem about the same --- anythign I've missed?

2) Suggestions for cabins on any of them -- or suggestions for areas of the ship we should definitely avoid? Is it ok to be by the elelvators or is too noisy? Is there a deck we should avoid?

3) Beverages --- plannign to bring on some vodka in water bottles and 2 bottles of wine -- will the bar give you a tonic water with a lime twist covered under the soft drink thing? Should I bring my own tonic water? Also, I am a diet coke freak, they do serve diet coke on the ship right?

4) Can someone tell me more about the wine package, or where to go to find more info?

5) Finances are an issue for a 7-night cruise --- does anyone know, in teh past have there still been balcondy staterooms available if you wait for the "last-minute" deals for August?

thansk, appreciate any help!!!

amy

Oh this is easy! Choose freedom, there is nothing like a ship so new you can smell the paint! (Though the fumes won't actually be a problem by August I should think). How'd you find prices on Freedom that were reasonable. We kept looking, couldn't find anything, and bought tix for Mariner instead (though we're sailing four people, 7 days, for less than 2k, can't beat that.)

Anyways, they are all very nice ships, but if you want the BEST, go freedom.

Hello all. Me, singificant other, and married couple friends want to go on a seven day cruise in the carribbean in august. we can choose from Freedom, Mariner, and Navigator, they are basically around the same price for a balcony room as we need to go in the first two weeks of August.

1) Which should we choose? All seem about the same --- anythign I've missed?

Welcome to Cruise Critic Amy!

Well you've chosen a great cruiseline so you're headed in the right direction. Is this your first cruise or your first cruise together? If this is your first cruise, then from your list of ships I would recommend Mariner or Navigator. Both are "Voyager Class" ships and have so much to offer. The Freedoms' inaugural cruise is in June this year and she is the largest cruise ship afloat. I think the Freedom might be a little overwhelming for a first cruise (plus it may spoil you forever ;) ). The Navigator (from Miami) and the Mariner (from Port Canaveral) do similar alternating Eastern/Western itineraries. There is a "Hot Deal" listed on rccl.com for the Mariners' Western itinerary, August 27th balcony for $857pp. If you want more of a "Mexican/Central American" cruise, choose the western itinerary. If you want more of a "Tropical/European Influence" cruise, choose the eastern itinerary. Is there a particular port you really would like to visit?

2) Suggestions for cabins on any of them -- or suggestions for areas of the ship we should definitely avoid? Is it ok to be by the elelvators or is too noisy? Is there a deck we should avoid?

I wouldn't say there is a particular deck to avoid. The balconies are located on the upper decks and ocean view cabins on the lower decks. I guess some people prefer the "hump" (where the ship curves out) or the "aft" (the back of the ship), but those cabins are more than likely taken this close to sailing. Other than that, the general consensus is to pick a cabin in the catagory you want that is "as low as possible and closest to midship". Less rockin' n rollin'.

3) Beverages --- plannign to bring on some vodka in water bottles and 2 bottles of wine -- will the bar give you a tonic water with a lime twist covered under the soft drink thing? Should I bring my own tonic water? Also, I am a diet coke freak, they do serve diet coke on the ship right?

I can't give you instruction on how to break the cruiseline smuggling policy..... but here's a hint: If run a search on this forum (top right) and include the words "liquor" and "smuggle", you will find numerous threads with information on the subject.

I do know they serve Diet Coke onboard, but not for free. Read about the soda stickers.

4) Can someone tell me more about the wine package, or where to go to find more info?

Try this link for the wine packages:

Wine Packages

Scroll down and select "Wine Cellar"

5) Finances are an issue for a 7-night cruise --- does anyone know, in teh past have there still been balcondy staterooms available if you wait for the "last-minute" deals for August?

Not always. But you can book the cabin you want now and make a deposit directly through the Royal Caribbean website. Then continue to make payments up until 70 days prior to departure date, when the remaining balance is due.

thansk, appreciate any help!!!

You are very welcome! There are several folks here that are happy to answer your questions or will direct you to the answer. Enjoy booking your cruise!

Ok, people who have beein on the Mariner before -- what about these cabins:

D1

D2

D3

E1

Does anyone know which would be the best one, or one to avoid? Thanks!

Amy,

By the way, here is an excellent video of the Mariner by another cruise crirtic member. Just click the link, then click on the pricture of the Mariner. Enjoy!:

http://www.apsh32.dsl.pipex.com/video.htm

Its the other itinerary (eastern), but you get to see what the ship is all about!!

Archived