St.Thomas help for first time visitors

CrusieGuy

We will be going to St.Thomas next week. We will be there for 10 hours. We are stuck between booking an excursion or adventuring out on our own by catching a taxi to a beach to soak up some sun. We would also like to do some shopping afterwards. Is it safe to go on your own? Any suggestions on beaches??? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?:rolleyes:

I just returned from St. Thomas by cruise. The beaches are very nice here. I've been to both Magen's Bay and Coki Beach on our own by taxi. The third time, I took a catamaran cruise that included lunch to St. John and booked that through the cruiseline. It was great! Last week I booked an Eco Hike in St. John again through the cruiseline (Princess) which was terrific. We took a boat to St. John and were met by our tour guide. Easy hike for about an hour, a one hour swim at Honeymoon beach (#7 in best beaches by National Geographic), and about another hour walking through the gardens at the Caneel Bay Resort which was stunning. Got a boat ride back to St. Thomas. Shopping is pretty much limited to the port area and very safe. The ship is docked right next to the shops. Hope this is helpful.

i booked a tour with godfrey... he was great ~ we did shopping, sightseeing, and snorkeling at coki beach.... we were back at the ship with plenty of time to spare... he has gotten great reviews if you do a search on this board for him.

I always recommend ship's excursions for first-timers. You might want to try Magen's Bay or one of the half day or whole day sails to St. John. Princess Cruise Line has a Champagne Sailaway excursion to Honeymoon Beach, St. John that is a great way to experience the Caribbean for the first time. Personally, I would save "St. John on your own" for the next cruise.

Godfrey was awesome! SO professional and the tour was a blast.

$25 per person and that included shopping, a tour of the island and beach time. Plus, he provides drinks (bottled water, soda, juice) and even stays at the beach so you can go to the parking lot and get drinks whenever you want. He tells you to save your money and walk out to see him because he has coolers full (part of the tour price). We had a blast with him and the tour was SO well worth it.

http://www.godfreytoursvi.com/

I stayed on St. Thomas for a week a couple of years ago. It is easy to get around and safe -- stay out of the alleys at night -- use common sense, etc. One of my favorite places was Iggies Beach Bar and Grill at Bolongo Bay Beach. You can take a taxi, great place just to hang out, a lot of fun and the food was great. Megans Bay was one of the most beatiful beaches I have ever seen. But if the cruise ships are in it can be quite crowded, head way down to the left if you plan to go on a heavy day. Another great spot was Mountain Top, the view is spectacular and the banana daquiris world famous.

Shopping on St. Thomas is great. I'd stay away from the shops right where the ships dock and head into town (to the left). If the shop keepers are out on the street begging you to come in, then stay away. Otherwise, enjoy. I recommend Elegant Jewelers if anyone is interested in jewelry. St.Thomas/St.John are the place to buy and Elegant Jewelers are extemely professional and helpful. They will also make you anything you want. Check out Mr. Tablecloth too, they have a great selection of linens, hard to choose.

For anyone wanting to go to St. John's, just take a taxi to Red Hook and take the ferry to St. John. You can take a bus taxi (with a load of others) to any of the beaches in the area. Shopping is right there off the ferry. They have some very interesting shops. There are also taxis to take you around the island. Or, you can rent a jeep and toodle around the island on your own.

I hope this post is helpful. Enjoy your trip. :)

Archived