Refurbished Century

nsshel

Century's outdoor Sunset Bar will feature a full service bar designed of teak, stone and stainless steel, topped with an arched-glass canopy. There, guests can enjoy an assortment of fresh tapas and appetizers with cocktails and other

The new SVs will be on the deck above the Sunset Bar. When I look at the new deck plans, I see that there is a space between the SV balconies and the back of the ship.

Do you think we'll be looking over the glass canopy of the bar:confused: This would mean that there would be a large space before I get to see the ocean.

What do ya think.

Does anyone know for certain if all the staterooms will be refurbished on the Century? I have not read that in any of the official posts. We are looking at possibly booking a Royal Suite with a connecting CC class cabin for my parents. However, I have been unable to confirm that all the staterooms and bathrooms will be refurbished.

This will be our first time with Celebrity that we haven't sailed on a "M" class ship. Do you think we will miss the amenities of the "M" class ships?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy

Does anyone know for certain if all the staterooms will be refurbished on the Century? I have not read that in any of the official posts. We are looking at possibly booking a Royal Suite with a connecting CC class cabin for my parents. However, I have been unable to confirm that all the staterooms and bathrooms will be refurbished.

This will be our first time with Celebrity that we haven't sailed on a "M" class ship. Do you think we will miss the amenities of the "M" class ships?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

We saw a presentation on CENTURY's last cruise before sailing into this major refit, the transatlantic, and just returned a couple of days ago, so this information is pretty fresh.

You won't be missing ANY amenities of the M class ships, and in fact will be treated to a new martini bar concept not available on any other ship on any line: The bar and the wall behind it are ICE, with lighting that changes color periodically. The only thing that is being eliminated is the T-pool (a real shame), but they are expanding the spa area substantially and are adding some new concepts that the M class ships won't have: More and different kinds of saunas, treatment rooms for some new concepts, and the acupuncture clinic will be housed there too.

YES, ALL the cabins will be refurbished AND enlarged a wee bit .... and they are ALL getting luxury bedding! (Hallelujah!) The Royal Suite will actually be on what is now deck 11, and CENTURY is getting bumped up in height with an additional new deck, deck 12, which will become the lido etc. ... They are adding a ducktail onto the back of the ship, which will add ballast to keep CENTURY balanced after adding the new floor. The sunset verandahs don't appear to get a view of the Sunset Bar unless you walk right up to the railing and peer down, so your view won't be affected. Not sure that the CC cabins will be on the same level as the suites, though. I think those are remaining on their current deck.

Believe it or not, for all the new stuff being added, the Captain added that the passenger load will remain the same: Even though they are adding a bunch of new cabins, they are eliminating others to build in the specialty restaurant and enlarging cabins overall. On deck 4, a dozen interior cabins are being eliminated behind the current Fun Factory, and the Fun Factory is expanding into that space.

Overall, I think folks are going to be blown away by CENTURY. We booked the westbound transatlantic to see all the new changes in October. I wouldn't hesitate a New York minute booking it!

Cheers~

Sonrisa, let me think ... OH YEAH ... every cabin will have a new widescreen plasma TV built into the wall. I think the orientation of the furniture placement in the rooms is changing to accomodate that. As in, the beds are currently under the windows, and now they are going to be on one of the long walls with the TV opposite it on the opposing wall. (we saw several renderings that showed that.)

The bathrooms will have TUBS. (Hooray!) (We actually saw several of the new tubs and their new plumbing hardware out in a hall one day .... they were working on cabins that weren't occupied while sailing the transatlantic.) The bathroom basins will be completely different ... ALL furniture and fixtures are being replaced in every cabin.

All the cabins will be wired for Wi-Fi .... in fact, the whole internet system is being replaced (YEAY!) from the horrific dinosaur-age ultra-slow one they had to high-speed internet. Also getting a new phone system that is supposed to be pretty fancy.

I forgot to mention that the new martini bar will be housed in what is now the IMAGES sports bar, on deck 7 outside the theater. Sure is a nice spot for a martini bar, don't you think?

Cheers~

Nicki

Yeah, I saw some pictures of the mock up a CC cabin and bathroom posted by Char on one of the roll call threads, but I didn't know about the bathtub or Wi-Fi. Wow. I've been getting discouraged lately with all the negative news about decline in quality, sick ships, fires, sewage odors, outrageous prices for all extras, etc. Now things are looking up. What about the atrium? Someone posted that it would also be redone, but haven't heard any details. More! More!

Sonrisa, let me think ... OH YEAH ... every cabin will have a new widescreen plasma TV built into the wall. I think the orientation of the furniture placement in the rooms is changing to accomodate that. As in, the beds are currently under the windows, and now they are going to be on one of the long walls with the TV opposite it on the opposing wall. (we saw several renderings that showed that.)

The bathrooms will have TUBS. (Hooray!) (We actually saw several of the new tubs and their new plumbing hardware out in a hall one day .... they were working on cabins that weren't occupied while sailing the transatlantic.) The bathroom basins will be completely different ... ALL furniture and fixtures are being replaced in every cabin.

All the cabins will be wired for Wi-Fi .... in fact, the whole internet system is being replaced (YEAY!) from the horrific dinosaur-age ultra-slow one they had to high-speed internet. Also getting a new phone system that is supposed to be pretty fancy.

I forgot to mention that the new martini bar will be housed in what is now the IMAGES sports bar, on deck 7 outside the theater. Sure is a nice spot for a martini bar, don't you think?

Cheers~

Nicki

Hi Nicki !

The Bathtub information is not correct. I can assure you that standard Cabins other than Suites, will NOT be upgraded to Bathtubs. The shower will remain. The bathrooms will be upgraded with new fixtures.

As for the plasma TV's, they are mounted to the wall, not built in. I actually was in the mock up cabin, and there was very little room to pass between the edge of the bed, and the TV. If anyone is on the larger side, I can see this being a problem. Hopefully, Celebrity will have come up with a better plan on the final version of the Cabins.

Also, the regular (non-suite) cabins are not getting any increase in size.

As for the internet, you are probably right about Wi-Fi. However, I would be shocked if it a high speed set-up like broadband, as I do not think that is readily available at sea. I would be very happy if there was a nice speed improvement over what they had before.

Andy, the tubs we saw were on Deck 5 (same deck as Guest Relations) and were later lugged down the hall to different cabins.

The Captain may have misspoke, but he indicated that all cabins were going to be slightly larger. We had an hour long Q - and - A with him after the presentation, and the cabin size thing came up during that. Actually, the Captain brought up the fact that all cabins were going to have Wi-Fi and also said it was going to be "significantly faster high speed internet." So whatever that means, that is what he said. (BTW, a HUGE cheer went up in the theater when he said this. Ha!)

I misspoke when I said the TVs were in the wall ... I actually meant what you said ... but just didn't say so very well. ;)

Virtually ALL areas are getting a makeover; no one area was singled out as being one remaining the same. All the colors are changing. Some of the palettes are lovely, others I would like to actually see before passing an opinion.

I am anxious to see what they do with the ducktail .... we always love sitting out on the aft deck outside the Island Cafe ... this one will be 'supersized', from the looks of it. It looks neat in the drawings, anyway.

Cheers~

Nicki

Andy, the tubs we saw were on Deck 5 (same deck as Guest Relations) and were later lugged down the hall to different cabins.

The Captain may have misspoke, but he indicated that all cabins were going to be slightly larger. We had an hour long Q - and - A with him after the presentation, and the cabin size thing came up during that. Actually, the Captain brought up the fact that all cabins were going to have Wi-Fi and also said it was going to be "significantly faster high speed internet." So whatever that means, that is what he said. (BTW, a HUGE cheer went up in the theater when he said this. Ha!)

I misspoke when I said the TVs were in the wall ... I actually meant what you said ... but just didn't say so very well. ;)

Virtually ALL areas are getting a makeover; no one area was singled out as being one remaining the same. All the colors are changing. Some of the palettes are lovely, others I would like to actually see before passing an opinion.

I am anxious to see what they do with the ducktail .... we always love sitting out on the aft deck outside the Island Cafe ... this one will be 'supersized', from the looks of it. It looks neat in the drawings, anyway.

Cheers~

Nicki

Ni Nicki !

Thanks for the update. Did you have Captain Pagonis as the Master of Century ? He is a wonderful Captain, and very friendly. I had the chance to sail with him last November, and I was very impressed with him. I hope we will see him again, next time we sail on Century.

BTW, I am VERY curious to see just how fast the internet will be. Century, had one of the slowest internet speeds I have ever seen. Whatever it is, I am sure it will be a nice improvement. I do wonder when "broadband" type speeds will appear on Cruise Ships. It sure would be nice to have.

By the way, it looks like Celebrity turned the "bridgecam" off on Century. While I would have liked it to stay on, you really could not see much anyway.

I hope they put it in a better position when it returns.

We will be on the Amsterdam to Barcelona cruise on the new Century in September so have found this thread very interesting.

We were in the port of Barcelona last Friday 28th April and took what may be one of the last photos of the old century.

You can see the orange containers that they had been loading onto the ship all that morning.

I do hope this link works as I have not done this before

http://uk.*************/centurybarca

On another topic, I am very pleased to see that a Celebrity ship will be calling at a Welsh port for the first time in Sept 07. I think I will give the captain a red dragon flag to fly on that day.

Archived