Rum Point

scubapuss

Do many people go to rum point? I want to rent a jeep and drive there but every time I see pictures it seems deserted.

It was so packed the day were were there you couldn't get a lounger. We had a hard time finding a picnic table so we could have lunch there. However, we arrived around noon-one and there was at least one tour boat there. And we were there on a Tuesday or Wednesday...

If you go, I get a jeep and get over there. That way you might be able to beat the crowds. It's really a pretty place...and we enjoyed the drive.

We were just there on 4/19/06. It was the highlight of our cruise. We swam with the rays, snorkled on the reef and then the boat took us out to Rum Point. There was hardly anyone there. It was a piece of Paradise. It was so peaceful and relaxing. You could walk way out in the water. I want to go back there for an entire week.

I want to go back there for an entire week.

That's what we did, and we had a ball. It was probably the most relaxing vacation we've ever taken. Late one night while we were sitting on the screened porch, we saw a cruise ship off in the distance. It was so much fun... :)

And the airport has one conveyor belt! It's so quick and easy to get in and out of there.

We stayed at the Regal Beach Club (unit #122). We wanted a three bedroom unit, but they only have four (I believe) for rent, and they had been reserved. We also wanted to be on the second floor, which we were. We had the closet two-bedroom unit to the water. We spent many nights out on the screen porch...it was amazing. I went to the Regal Beach Club website, and then I called them. We booked aroung 7 months in advance. These condos are owned...so we had to wait until the owners decided when they would be usuing the unit. I think I remember them saying that they find out 6 months in advance.

There's also a washer/dryer in the unit, but it's one of those small stacked types. We didn't use it...but it was nice to have in case we did. Next time, we are going to eat in more, and out less. It's very expensive to eat out there...but since it was the first time we were there (for a week-the other time was on a ship), we did eat out a lot. Aqua Beach is right across the street, and Coconut Joe's is just up a block from there. We ate at both, but ended up at CJ's a lot.

We rented a car from Andy's, which had a location right outside the airport. I don't think there's a road on that island that we didn't venture down. What you will see a lot of is chickens. They were everywhere...once you get out of the port area. They just wander around wild. We never heard them while we were in the condo, but you will see them wandering around, especially where the homes are. I asked someone if they ate them, but they said they are too tough...so they just let them wander.

We flew Delta from Kansas City. We changed planes in Atlanta. Atlanta is not my favorite airport...way too big. And as usual, the international terminal was at the opposite side of the airport (from where we landed). We wanted to go in through Charlotte, but there was flight issues that day. We traveled from Thursday to Thusday because we wanted to be coming and going on the days where there were the most ships in GC. I know the Thursday we left, there were 9 ships in port. However, the cruise ships really didn't cause us any problems.

We usually spent the morning at the beach, and then headed out after lunch. By then, most of the cruise people were going back to get in the tender lines. I brought along a list of the ships that would be in port. We planned our activities around the peak times, and when the largest number of ships were in port. If you venture away from George Town, toward Rum Poin, Bodden Town, and the East End, you're not going to see much (if any) cruise traffic.

The day we went out to see the stingray's (a Sunday-no ships in port), we were the only tour group there. It was amazing! We can't wait to go back!

We do sound a lot alike! :) We enjoyed the Regal Beach Club, but there are others. If you go to the Cayman Activity Guide (you will have to register) which runs a banner across the top of the page, you will find all sorts of pictures and information. It's a great place, but they do really support their sponsors (can't blame them). RBC isn't a sponsor, but you will find information about it there.

We were looking for a nice beach with lots of sand...that was the only thing my kids were interested in. What was really nice is the Marriott is right next door. They have a poolside bar which is located right next to the RBC. It was so convienient for getting drinks. Red Sail also operates out of the hotel, so we had access to all sorts of water activities.

Have a great time!

We were just there on 4/19/06. It was the highlight of our cruise. We swam with the rays, snorkled on the reef and then the boat took us out to Rum Point. There was hardly anyone there. It was a piece of Paradise. It was so peaceful and relaxing. You could walk way out in the water. I want to go back there for an entire week.

We were there on Thursday, 4/20. Rented a Jeep from Avis and got to Rum Point around 10:00. There were one or two families there when we got there. It got crowded, meaning 80% of the chairs were taken, by 1:00.

Another thank you for the details on the week stay. Definitely on the top of my list for a "non-cruise" vacation.

I asked a local if she could recommend anyplace and she recommended Plantation Village (rentable timeshares), Grand Caymanian and if you have Marriott Rewards points, there are two good Marriotts there. I also found Christopher Columbus Apartments as I was looking into GC. Hope this helps you too. :)

Archived