Spirit--Room 9207

twinss

We sailed the Spirit last week ( April 16 -23). We were booked in Room 9207, which is in the back (aft) of the ship. I was warned by a friend I might encounter some vibrating from the ship's motor, as the room was in the aft. I don't mind a little vibration, but what we experienced was pure torture! I didn't sleep one wink the first night. The ceiling tiles clattered, the shower doors rattles, cabinet doors clanked...basically the entire room shook. I was in near tears the first night, watching the minutes tick away on the clock. The next day, I went to a scheduled massage at 9:30, attended the cc meeting at 10:30, then went to the Martini Clinic. After 8 martini's, I was able to get some sleep on Mon afternoon.

While I was sleeping, my husband wend to the front desk to ask about getting another room. He was told the ship was sold out. About 10 minutes after he returned to our room, the phone rang...it was the front desk telling us we could move to room 9055. It was like HEAVEN in the new room. We were very appreciative to be in a quiet room where we could get the sleep we needed.

Just a heads up about 9207.

• 2 weeks later...
We are going out on the 5/20 Spirit Cruise. We will be in Room 9110. Has anyone been in this particular room. Hopefully for my wife's sake, you can't feel the ups and downs much.

We were moved to Room 9055, which was quiet. However, on the way back up the coast to NY, you could feel the ship rock while laying in bed. I don't think there is anywhere to escape it on the ship. I have never been sea sick before, but I was on the last nite. Bring Bonine.

We were moved to Room 9055, which was quiet. However, on the way back up the coast to NY, you could feel the ship rock while laying in bed. I don't think there is anywhere to escape it on the ship. I have never been sea sick before, but I was on the last nite. Bring Bonine.

Rocking ships on the open ocean is normal.

If you want to escape rocking and pitching on ships in the future, get an inside cabin on the lowest deck amidships. On the Spirit, around cabin 4555 would be a great choice.

• 2 years later...

Someone contemplating 9207 may see this and be forewarned. I read this when selecting a cabin MONTHS before our sail date but decided that it couldn't be THAT bad all the way up on deck 9!! Wrong. It was worse.

The floor vibrated under our feet, the bed vibrated continually, the doors (shower and closet) clanked until the perfect position for both was found, but the biggest noise-maker was the safe! About 2am DH had paper wedges sticking out of it in, like, 4 places. Even then, the noise(s) SANG from many spots.

Finally at about 4:30 am I called 00. She said they would send someone to investigate. He arrived shortly after and said, "Hmmm, yes, you do have a problem"! He assured us that he would write a report to that effect and that, hopefully, we could be moved. We were later that morning to an outside on deck 4. It was great...very quiet and actually much better to get everywhere on the ship from.

Just a heads up. We've been on 14 (?) cruises and on a few we've had a little rolling, pitching, WHATEVER on occasion but this was something completely different.

The rumble in the back, especially going from the Delta into the Gulf is normal.

What wasn't normal for us was we had one of the Owner's Suite (9708) all the way to the back. The rumble and swaying started and believe it or not thats sort of a lullaby to us. What wasn't was the big BANGS that happened all night (starting about 2am). I got up to make sure all of the doors were latched but the sound was coming outside the bedroom wall.

Some idiot had left a ladder standing against the outside wall of the suite. So every time we had a starboard/port shift the thing would clang off the wall.

Anyway, the next day we and the butler figured it out and the ladder was on the deck vs. laying up on the wall. No more problems.

We love the aft, seeing the blue churn from the props. We were especially blessed that we could see an amazing site. We had a crescent moon with Jupiter and Mercury (I think) aligned and beautiful at night - even though it was cloudy at nights. Next to last night from Cozumel back to New Orleans it was so clear you could see the Milky Way.

The Spirit was just in dry dock and it was said that vibrating engine has been replaced, along with carpets , beds and just some updating to the ship. We were on the Spirit in March for 14 days and it did shake a little, we also missed one stop on the cruise but not from the engine. The crew was always great and service very good for all our meals.

The engine on Spirit wasn't vibrating, it blew up (it was one of four). Keep in mind the engines generate electricity both for the props and the rest of the ship.

Also, the new engine replaced during drydock will not be on-line until the end of December. This all came directly from the Captain. Thats why the first port (Costa Maya) is currently delayed by 2 hours.

The engines don't vibrate (well, unless they blow up). The props cause the rumbling.

Hey, pretty good deal. Vibrating bed and you don't have to find quarters to keep it going ;).

Seriously, the only times it was fairly noising was going into the gulf. Very short distances (and no need to speed) after that.

9207 had the new beds. Our new cabin did not...at first. I walked into our new cabin and recognized the old low, narrow, thin-mattressed cot-like beds of old. Also, I noticed that one of them had a very pronounced dip in the middle of the outer edge. I picked up the cover and the frame was bent down several inches!!

I thought, 'Okay, I have several choices. Live with it and hope it doesn't completely collapse, call the cabin steward OR get back in touch with my new 'friends' at 00'. DH said if they could just have someone brace it, it would probably be okay. A couple of people came to look. Finally an officer appeared, apologized and said there was only one thing to do....send in a new bed. Then he turned to DH and said, 'we might as well get one for you, too'. It took about an hour all toll for the new ones (beds AND frames) to be brought in and get set up.

I don't know how many of the cabins do not have the new beds yet but we had one albeit for a short time and, in our wanderings, we found about 40+ new mattresses (still in plastic) and boxed frames piled up outside the doors in the rear of deck 11. And they may well have other places where they're stashed until the switches are made.

And, yes, I attributed a lot of the vibrating to the trip from NO to the gulf...this is our 4th cruise out of NO and it's always - at the very least - a noisy process for whatever reason. This vibrating had nothing to do with that and 'full speed ahead' when we hit the gulf seemed to cause it to increase!

AND just for the record, bigger is not always better!! Yes, 9207 is 190 sf compared to 157 but it's useless space that actually makes for a worse cabin lay-out. The little settee (whatever) is off to the side, blocking a closet door. And the TV can't be seen from it. If you move it to the foot of the beds (that cabin had them together as a kind) you were looking straight up! And the bed lights were in funny spots...really in place for the beds to be separate. The only light we could read by was the ceiling lights. When we got to our new cabin, "all was right with the cabin set-up"!!!!

We just got home from being in 11525 for the week on the Spirit. Does the term "crow's nest" conjure up thoughts of pitching and rolling? OMG!?! There were a few times I was nearly thrown from the (old, cot-style, not replaced yet) bed. Once I even got up at 3:30 am- convinced that the banging I was hearing was someone at the door. For real!! No more 11th deck for me- even if it is cheap. It just ain't worth it.

Here are some observations on rock and roll on all cruise ships.

1. The lower you are the less.
  2. The more you are toward the middle of ship the less.
  3. Add being in an inside cabin (maybe, because then you run into issues of claustophobia (sp).)

Side to side motion is mostly controlled now with side stablizers. Up/down - the Captain has to change the route to at least quarter the waves. Not alway possible when trying to make a port.

Anyone that figures out how to cut out the up/down problems (porising) would win a big jackpot.

Having said that there are multiple treatments for sea sickness if you are susceptible to it. MaryBeth uses a "Relief Band". George uses "Jack Daniels".

Just back from 10138. The rocking wasn't nearly that bad. We did feel the slight vibration coming into and out of the gulf but it was very slight. 10160 may be a little closer to the kids club area but that is very quiet at night. Very convenient to the aft elevators too. Rooms above, rooms below; it should be a great cabin. 10630 should be about the same but it's not on the same side as the kids club. Honestly, the kids club is not going to go parading down your hall at all hours of the night, so it's not a concern at all. I think Friday night was the only night we had any rough seas this trip and it really didn't bother me much at all.

But remember, motion sickness and seasickness are personalized reactions so what didn't bother me could of certainly bothered others.

I've worked on ships for a little over two years and here are my observations when it comes to sea sickness:

1. Absolutely, the higher you are the more you "feel" the motion

2. One deck isn't a big difference in terms of feel. You'll feel about the same on 10 as 9. Now, deck 10 vs deck 3 - difference :)

3. Motion will always feel more extreme at the "ends" of the ship - fore & aft

4. The direction of the motion makes all the difference, our bodies seem to handle pitch (up & down, forward & aft) a million times better than roll (side to side) or any combination of the two

***my personal theory here is that the pitch feels sort of like a carnival/roller coaster type ride and if you have no issues with them, your body thinks "fun"!***

Lastly, sea sickness is self defeating, if you think you will be sick - you will be sick. A lot of people swear by the sea bands, I've never used them. I've tried the meclazine (otc meds that the Front Office or medical center often has) and while it stops the sickness, I still feel sick and then I pass out. Tough to work through that:D

When I first became seasick onboard (yes, it happens to the crew too!) an old crew member gave me some tips and they've worked every time:

1. eat a green apple (don't ask me why)

2. drink a gingerale

3. eat some crackers

4. do all of the above while sitting (or reclining :D) in the lowest, most central spot you can get to on the ship - often the base of the atrium

If all else fails, swim for shore!:D

My dh worked for Costa (cargo ships...Genoa to NY mostly) for 10 years back in the 50's and 60's. When he first started during summers when he was 14, he said he was sick almost all the time and thought he would die. Then at some point it just stopped which he likened to someone turning off a switch. He never gets sick today under any conditions and neither do I..TG. It's a very strange and unpredictable condition...and most unpleasant!!

Engine was replaced during dry dock but will not be operational for another 3wks as they are still hooking it up. Only vibration I felt was the transit down the Miss River and when entering/exiting the Gulf. We were in 10519 and had a peaceful journey. I believe the kids area is still on Deck 10 but they are in the process of adding new rooms where the video arcade was. They are still not ready yet.

The worst thing you can do if you get "mal de mar" (or however you spell it) is to go into your dark, enclosed bedroom. Since you have no point of reference your equilbrium is just going to get worse.

Best is to go outside and try to fixate on something that isn't moving. Moon, star, shoreline, whatever. Even going directly aft and as low as possible and look at the sea being churned by the props helps (and there its just vibration, not any side to side or you got a big problem). Also, breeze in your face if you can find it.

If you stay in your inside cabin in the dark, it's not going to get better.

Archived