I think we messed up!

skarletohara

We booked a cruise for April 12, 2007. It's a 10-day Mexican Riviera

cruise from San Francisco. For some reason, I had it in my noggin' that

Easter would fall on March 24th in 07. But in fact, it's April 8.

Now DH and I always try to avoide the big spring break time. We don't have

kids, but we do like kids, but based on certain posts in the past it seems

that there are like 700-900 kids during the spring break cruises. Others have

reported back that it was a somewhat chaotic atmosphere with parents failing

to watch their kids, et cet, et cet

For those of you who have cruised during spring break on 10-day cruises only,

was there a significant decrease in the amount of teeny-boppers, little ones

as opposed to the 7-day cruises?

We were looking for a more quiet laid back atmosphere.

Hi! I just got off of the 7 day Sapphire Mexico over Spring Break, I traveled with family who have a child (none of my own). I actually didnt notice a significant difference in the number of children onboard, compared to any other time I cruise. Yes, there were more kids, but except for the time or two I saw a little heard of teeny boppers hanging on the stairs at midnight, I was never thinking to myself "OMG, never again with I cruise over Spring Break!"

I would think that the 10 day cruise would make the numbers ever better showing less kids. Also, the end of March is no picnic either. In my experience, it seems that Spring Breaks cover a wide section of time, from mid-March to mid-April. You are never safe! (j/k ha ha)

BTW, we arebooking that same cruise for this coming November, I am excited! If you are a daredevil, make sure you do the Jungle Canopy zip line tour in PV!

Casey

I think you will be ok because you are doing a 10 day. The school breakers tend to take the 7 day cruises. I think you should be fine. Also keep in mind that the Princess ships tend to be a little older crowd.

I agree with Perky1, the 10 day cruise will likely mean you will have a lot less kids than 7 day cruises during any of the typical Spring Break weeks. Taking kids out of school just isn't an option for a lot of folks, plus 10 days is going to price the cruise out of some families price range.

I also recently finished a Spring Break week cruise (4/1 - 4/8) on the Sapphire. Plenty of kids (we contributed two), but I felt as a whole they were much more under control and behaved than the year before when we cruised on Royal Carribean during Spring Break. Princess distributed a list of rules re kids on the first day, perhaps that helped. On RC, we actually had a curfew announced for kids midway through the cruise. But even on both, I saw relatively few instances of really poor behavior by kids, certainly no more than I observed with some adults.

Hey Skarlet,

Be careful of those wild horses in Mazatlan!!!!!!!

Randy

Hi RAndy!!

How are you and Barb doing? Eldred and I actually just got back from

the Sapphire 3/4 sailing, and this time not only did we NOT ride Happy

Horses, but we didn't even get off the ship in Mazatlan and decided

to have spa treatments instead!

How are things in D.C. area? Been on any cruises lately?

Eldred and I are also going on the Sapphire 6/24. Just booked it 3 days

ago... got a deal we couldn't resist. And no, I won't be riding any

horses in Alaska either. LOL

Dana

I agree with Perky1, the 10 day cruise will likely mean you will have a lot less kids than 7 day cruises during any of the typical Spring Break weeks. Taking kids out of school just isn't an option for a lot of folks, plus 10 days is going to price the cruise out of some families price range.

I also recently finished a Spring Break week cruise (4/1 - 4/8) on the Sapphire. Plenty of kids (we contributed two), but I felt as a whole they were much more under control and behaved than the year before when we cruised on Royal Carribean during Spring Break. Princess distributed a list of rules re kids on the first day, perhaps that helped. On RC, we actually had a curfew announced for kids midway through the cruise. But even on both, I saw relatively few instances of really poor behavior by kids, certainly no more than I observed with some adults.

I agree about the poor behavior by adults. Out of all the cruises we've been

on, we had a shipload of "poorly behaved adults". I've never seen a poorly

behaved child aboard a ship....

I just thought of something else. On this last cruise, it was the first time I notcied a whole slew of "youth security". They were in yellow polos, with those words on their backs. At one point, I was trying to eat by the small pool in the back. I accept that this is considered a "kids pool", and I would never begrudge a kid some fun, but the two that were wild when I was trying to eat were deliberatly splashing water on us outside of the pool, and running and jumping all around in the pool, despite posted no jumping/diving rules. I was just starting to peer around and said to my companion "Where are the yellow shirt Youth security when you need them?" and not 10 seconds later a pair came out from the kids area (located next to the pool). We ratted out the boys, and they were talked to and the problem stopped. Kudos to Princess for making it a safe AND enjoyable day for everyone!

Casey

I really don't think you will encounter a problem on a 10 day cruise. We are doing the 4/8 cruise out of San Diego on Carnival. Most schools here anyway start Spring Break as early as the beginning of March and run on and off until Easter. For most Spring break is before Easter. Our schools go year round so the kids go so many months then get a couple of weeks off.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We were on the Dawn Princess over Easter on the 10 day Mexican Riviera. There were over 400 kids on board!! The week previous there were 10. Although the Patter every day read that the activites listed were for 18 and over, no one paid any attention. There were lots of kids at the champagne waterfall party and Mexican deck party well past midnight. We were in Jammers disco one night when security brought a child (around 8 or 9 years old) in looking for her parents - they were going from bar to bar to find them because the child had no idea where they were.

Don't be fooled into thinking people will opt for a 7 day cruise because spring break is only one week. Our ship was overloaded. We had 2168 passengers (ship holds 1950 double occupancy). I found the ship to be very crowded, especially when everyone was indoors because of the weather.

I would strongly advise that you change your sailing to another week unless you don't mind being around a lot of children. BTW, I am a mother and grandmother and I love kids - but I was on vacation without them!! A lesson learned - I will never cruise over Easter again.

We were on the Dawn Princess over Easter on the 10 day Mexican Riviera. There were over 400 kids on board!! The week previous there were 10. Although the Patter every day read that the activites listed were for 18 and over, no one paid any attention. There were lots of kids at the champagne waterfall party and Mexican deck party well past midnight. We were in Jammers disco one night when security brought a child (around 8 or 9 years old) in looking for her parents - they were going from bar to bar to find them because the child had no idea where they were.

Don't be fooled into thinking people will opt for a 7 day cruise because spring break is only one week. Our ship was overloaded. We had 2168 passengers (ship holds 1950 double occupancy). I found the ship to be very crowded, especially when everyone was indoors because of the weather.

I would strongly advise that you change your sailing to another week unless you don't mind being around a lot of children. BTW, I am a mother and grandmother and I love kids - but I was on vacation without them!! A lesson learned - I will never cruise over Easter again.

We were on the Sapphire the first week of March and had around 300 kids.

That was fine. I just didn't want huge numbers of 'em. But I do appreciate

your advice!

I was on the same cruise as cruzlover on the Dawn. For the first 7 days, the 400 seemed like less than 100 but by the last 3 days, the kids (mostly the young teens 12-15yrs. old) were getting bored and a few of them caused a bit of mischief on the ship. Don't kid yourself, the Youth Security on board were part of the problem. We saw 2 of them laughing and giggling with a group of young teens outside some cabins after midnight. Then these same kids came up ( about 5 minutes later ) to Horizon Court and started throwing ice at each other. I nearly slipped on the wet floor and had to call for someone to clean it up. Where were the 2 youth security personnels then?

Parents: If you want to take your kids on a cruise, do a 7 day one. 10 days may be too long for them. Even if your kids are well behaved, others get bored over a long period of time on a ship.

Hi Melinda, glad you got home ok.

Even though it is a 10 day cruise, I predict there will be plenty of kids on a Dawn cruise during spring break. The reason; no flying involved for anyone in Northern California.

There were a surprising number on my cruise EVEN with school in session.

Even though it is a 10 day cruise, I predict there will be plenty of kids on a Dawn cruise during spring break. The reason; no flying involved for anyone in Northern California.

There were a surprising number on my cruise EVEN with school in session.

For clarification,

we'll be on the Golden Princess. The Dawn will also be sailing under the

Golden Gate on 4/12/07. We've been on the Golden before and she has

more pools than the Dawn. I hope that doesn't make our ship MORE appealing!

Yikes.

Hi RAndy!!

How are you and Barb doing? Eldred and I actually just got back from

the Sapphire 3/4 sailing, and this time not only did we NOT ride Happy

Horses, but we didn't even get off the ship in Mazatlan and decided

to have spa treatments instead!

How are things in D.C. area? Been on any cruises lately?

Eldred and I are also going on the Sapphire 6/24. Just booked it 3 days

ago... got a deal we couldn't resist. And no, I won't be riding any

horses in Alaska either. LOL

Dana

Barb and I are both doing well, She is finishing her Masters next month so no cruising but we are planning a trip to the UK and Ireland in September.

I am now working in Virginia at the same hospital as Barb so no more driving to DC and I do not miss that. Sounds like you and Eldred had a good cruise i am jealous.

Take care and maybe we'll see you again in Cabo Wabo!!!!!

Randy

Archived