2 yr old on Helicopter & Floatplane?

bgoldca

Hi - we're going to Alaska in June on the NCL Sun and wondering what excursions our 2 yr old will tolerate. We're especially interested in experiences with kids in this age-range going on Helicopter rides and flightseeing (float-plane) tours. I called a flightseeing company and the pilot told us that kids always have a bad time on floatplanes because of the pressure changes. Is this true? Are helicopters any different/better?

Thanks,

Ben

We're going to Alaska at the end of June also, and plan on taking our 2 yr. old on a helicopter ride. One of the floatplane companies I spoke to said they don't charge for 2 and under because often they fall asleep.

My 2 yr. old has already flown over 10 roundtrip commerical airlights without a problem. I've never had to have a bottle (or the like) for her during take off or landing. (I know a helicopter is a little different.) We're trying it!

A float plane usually does not have a pressurized cabin as does a commercial jet. I wouldn't chance it with my 2 year old.

If the plane has a pressurized cabin, you should be OK. As for a helicopter, along with the pressure issues you will have noise issues. I would not want to ruin my child's hearing as a toddler.

I hope you enjoy your trip...

The first thing you need to do is find out if they have a minimum age requirement for those trips. Most excursions involving planes and helicopters do have a minimum age, and I know it's older than 2, so this might be a moot point. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to take a toddler on any kind of flightseening excursions for many reasons, a couple being the extreme noise factor and the pressurization issues. Even if they don't pressurize the cabin, the increase in altitude could be harmful to a toddler.

Archived