Pressing service on Carnival Glory?

IntoTheBlue

Can anyone who has used this service for their formal wear let me know if they were satisfied? I have silk dresses for the formal nights and I know they will wrinkle in the luggage. I am a little nervous that they could be damaged if pressed incorrectly. Any thoughts or experiences with this will be appreciated. Only 10 days to go now. Yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!:)

Hi,

I actually brought a small Conair steamer with me in Nov on the Conquest and it did a terrific job on my suit and other clothes as well. It was my first cruise and wasn't sure about the irons in the laundromat or pressing service, and the steamer did a great job. Just a thought :)

I would not use the steamer on silk. The steam will damage the fibers. I work in a bridal salon - we press many silk dresses. Why not try that wrinkle spray (I'm not sure what it's called). I don't know if it's safe for silk, but I'm sure it says on the bottle. Anytime you get silk wet, the fibers, in the area that was wet, will be permantly damaged. You'll notice that the wet spot gets kind of hard compared to the rest of the fabric. I would try packing it in the dry cleaning bag, like suggested, I hear this really works. Also, check out the wrinkle remover spray and see if it's safe for silk.

Suspect you do not get the pun and it is better than a pun:

During the Royal Navy's War against France 1790's-1815 the British

had "Press Gangs" that recruited men for service on their ships using

rather ruthless means as they hit the ports taverns and places of ill repute.

When I read this I figured the Glory's new Captain was Cpt Hornblower

and Carnival had a manpower shortage:eek:

Then again perhaps the level of service would be enhanced:p

Besides a HMS Bounty or that "Master & Commander" ship were hardly "Fun Ships"

"Beat To Quarters"

Joe

I would not use the steamer on silk. The steam will damage the fibers. I work in a bridal salon - we press many silk dresses. Why not try that wrinkle spray (I'm not sure what it's called). I don't know if it's safe for silk, but I'm sure it says on the bottle. Anytime you get silk wet, the fibers, in the area that was wet, will be permantly damaged. You'll notice that the wet spot gets kind of hard compared to the rest of the fabric. I would try packing it in the dry cleaning bag, like suggested, I hear this really works. Also, check out the wrinkle remover spray and see if it's safe for silk.

It's called Downey Wrinkle Release. On the back it says, "Safe on virtually all fabric. On fabrics which may water spot (silk, rayon), test a hidden area first." You can usually find it in the laundry aisle at Wal-Mart but I also found a small bottle at Wal-Mart with all the travel size stuff. I didn't use it but my kids did. I packed my dresses with the dry cleaner bags over them and they came out with no wrinkles. One poster here said she used the Downey Wrinkle Release on her formal dress and it showed on all the formal night pictures. It must have reflected the flash.

Can anyone who has used this service for their formal wear let me know if they were satisfied? I have silk dresses for the formal nights and I know they will wrinkle in the luggage. I am a little nervous that they could be damaged if pressed incorrectly. Any thoughts or experiences with this will be appreciated. Only 10 days to go now. Yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!:)

The dry cleaner bags work very well. I always do that with all our dress clothes. Another idea is to hang your dress in the shower, not actual shower, :eek: but in bathroom while you shower. I've found this to be helpful. Just a little steam can do a lot to remove wrinkles.

Have a wonderful trip. 10 days for also.....

Luv's Crusin'

Archived