Booking and fares

scdreamer

NOt sure if this is a silly question. We have cruised on NCL, Princess, and RCCL ... now looking to move up to a more luxurious line, and we are considering an Oceana Med cruise in fall 2007.

My question: if the fare goes down between the time we book and the time we sail - and I am not even sure if that would happen with Oceana's policies - would we automatically get the lower rate applied to our cruise?

Also - is there the "cabin guarantee" assignment on Oceana? - On other lines we have sailed, you can book a certain class, and then you may or may not be upgraded, but you know you will at least have a cabin in the category you booked.

Thanks for any information anyone may have.

...if the fare goes down between the time we book and the time we sail - and I am not even sure if that would happen with Oceana's policies - would we automatically get the lower rate applied to our cruise?

I haven't seen fares go down. Oceania has smaller ships, lesser availability , so their prices wouldn't need to fluctuate as much...But, in any event, NO ONE "automatically" reduces your price...The hook with any cruise line is that you are not obligated in full until final payment...They are willing reduce your fare...if you ask...since you could always just cancel and re-book...

Also - is there the "cabin guarantee" assignment on Oceana? - On other lines we have sailed, you can book a certain class, and then you may or may not be upgraded, but you know you will at least have a cabin in the category you booked.

This has been the topic of some heated discussion here...They apparently (it seems to be up to debate as to when) offer a "guarantee"...but they IMMEDIATELY assign you into the guaranteed category cabin as soon as possible...and they offer no discounts for booking as a guarantee...So, you might as well just book a chosen cabin.

Not sure if your idea will work Steve....cancel and then re-book.

As I understand it, Oceania are often oversold and if you cancel, the next person in line might end up with your cabin and you get nothing.

Brian

Not sure if your idea will work Steve....cancel and then re-book. As I understand it, Oceania are often oversold and if you cancel, the next person in line might end up with your cabin and you get nothing

The point is this: If a cruise line...ANY cruise line...is offering LOWER fares on the SAME category of cabin, that means it is NOT sold out...and you can do better...

If it's "oversold", then the cruise line has no reason to start dropping fares...

And the idea was that the cruise line is willing to lower your fare to match the new prices since you have this advantage in your back pocket...

You wouldn't even have to risk your existing booking--You could book a second cabin, THEN drop the first reservation...As long as you cancel a reservation before final payment, it is without penalty on most cruise lines.

Of course, you avoid the entire masquerade by merely having your TA call and negotiate it with the cruise line. They've all been through this before. Any good TA should be able to handle it.

But, if a cruise is sold out or oversold, it's not an issue--they're not lowering fares and you have no reason to renegotiate.

Archived