Going to Cozumel and Costa Maya what to do and where

Heathergurl

We will be going on a 5 day Carnival cruise in Aug. It will be me and the hubby and 3 kids. 14, 8 and 3. however the 3 year old will prolly stay on the boat on day. We will be in Costa Maya for 7 hours and Cozumel for 10. We want to snorkle and shop and see all there is to see in this little amount of time. Any help here? We want the best of it all lol but then again I guess who doesnt...... I was unsure of where to do what. What is the best port to shop in and what is the best one to beach and snorkle. Im tryng to plan this to the best poss. Also has anyone been to Paridise beach I heard it was 8 bucks for all water toys and free to get in.... is this a good place to go? or is it another you get what you pay for? Anyways any help or suggestions would be Great ty :)

Costa Maya is a new port relative to Cozumel. The tours do not have the same experience and scope.

DW and I visited Costa Maya in March - see the site about "how is cats meow" on this board.

There are several pictures and they can give you some comfort.

We did the Mayan ruins tour with Ivan and David. There are several posts on them and many include something that rates the kids factor.

The tour is back by 1pm so so can have all afternnon to lounge on the free beach and swim. There are several activities available from independents - all listed on other posts.

Regarding Cozumel, the tours there have far more offerings and the variety can make the decision hard.

Suggestion, since Costa Maya is more limited in the selection - see what you want to do in Costa Maya and then do whatever else you wanted in Coz.

J

I agree with Herkimer. Costa Maya first. Cozumel has great beaches for families, Paradise is highly rated, and Mia thru the ship is fine also. If they get Chankunaab back up by August, you could get to snorkel and swim with the dolphins. You'll find great bargains in Mahaual Costa Maya, just don't let the shop owners intimidate you, and haggle:)

• 2 weeks later...

I visited both Costa Maya & Cozumel on my Miracle cruise last March. I think the shopping in Coz is better than in Costa, but it depends on what you're looking for. Costa Maya seemed to have mostly locally made handcrafted items in their stores & street vendors.

Costa Maya has some REALLY good places to eat lunch (right on the beach), and VERY reasonably priced.

The beach in CM is about 8 blocks long, and is lined with palapa-style bar/reastaurants, most of which will provide you with a lounge chair if you buy your food & drinks from them. The water her is that deep caribbean blue color, and was relatively calm the day I was there.

I really cannot say enough good things about Paradise Beach! It's a short 5-10 minute taxi ride from the Punta Maya pier. The beach is VERY spacious, the grounds are very well maintained, they have clean restrooms, shower & changing room. Both food & drinks were EXCELLENT as was the service. Beach massages are available. A water trampoline & climbing wall iceburg are out floating for you children to play on. (not sure of cost. didn't do this) And taxis are readily available at the main entrance when you're ready to leave.

I HIGHLY recommend Paradise Beach:-)

Archived