Port security

travel-to-go

The background checks will not examine workers' criminal history

So, comprehensive checks then! I guess its now ok for Dubai to buy the US ports - after all, this was all about security - right?

Well, the 'War on an Abstract Noun' is sure going well, with you protecting your ports by NOT checking people's criminal records and us releasing foreign murderers, rapists and paedophiles back into OUR community, rather than deporting them!

See here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4939376.stm

And THEY lecture US on needing to be tough on terrorism/criminality!

Peter

I can't believe no one has posted this yet!

Flame on!

Port Workers to Undergo Background Checks

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/25/D8H7CR6O2.html

Karie,

who will now sleep well at night!

Another bunch of BS and crack-pot crap. And a few more dollars out of transportations' pocket.

I just got a detailed 5 page application for all my guys (38 drivers + dispatchers + office workers who may have business at the ports).

I can't get my own admin cleared and I doubt I can be cleared. NO, none of us are on the terrorist watch list. BUT-I have drivers who have had DUI's more than 5 years ago, drivers who have been arrested (for a whole variety reasons-the worst being bar fights) and my OWN admin was arrested 3 years ago during a domestic dispute.

This is the same crackpot crap transportation went through (and is still going through) with the crazy HAZ MAT DL clearance. IF you applied for hazmat clearance AND had ANYTHING (any kind of arrest) on your record, you went to the bottom of the pile. I still have 19 driver's (out of 38) who have not cleared and it has been over 9 months since I filed the applications. Do you know how many HAZARDOUS (labeled HAZMAT) materials there are in FOOD PRODUCTS??? Hairspray (in pallet quantities) is labeled HazMat. We have had to discontinue hauling some Kosher bakery bulk products, as they are labeled HazMat.

DHS is so understaffed, the ONLY people who will clear are those who have NOTHING on their record. Generally means the very youngest and most inexperienced drivers. I, myself, probably will not be cleared rapidly.

To put this in perspective-Let's say I have a truck break down (anyplace USA) or need additional trailer capacity. I rent-sometimes from Penske or Brown National Leasing or another national company and sometimes from the local guy, because he is close to where my truck broke down. When I rent a tractor or trailer, the EQUIPMENT OWNER certifies to me (via the rental agreement) that the equipment is highway ready. Now, my driver (or me) gets stopped at a weigh station or a DOT roadside check. They find something wrong. Believe me, if they have NOT met their quota, they can ALWAYS find something wrong. If a ticket is issued, the ticket is in the driver's name. The ticket is then immediately sent to the EQUIPMENT OWNER. Normal procedure-fix the defect-have the Highway Patrol certify defect is fixed- send ticket to issuing state AND maybe pay a small fine.

IF the issuing state does not do a good job on the paperwork (matching up the issued ticket with the repair certification) a WARRANT is issued for the arrest of the DRIVER. Driver gets pulled over for whatever reason, warrant check run-off to jail you go. This is especially bad in California, NY and NJ.

My own story-16 years ago-brand new truck, off the showroom floor at Waukesha Peterbilt. I always drive EVERY new truck I buy. Got to California, Banning scales, truck put out of service. WHY??? Brake hoses NOT up to CALIFORNIA specs. This was a brand NEW truck-less than 3000 miles. Peterbilt from Los Angeles sent a tow truck to the Banning scales. They towed the truck to LA-replaced the brake hoses-AND sent the paperwork to the Indio court. I was issued a "fix it" ticket and could not leave the scales until it was fixed onsite or towed to a repair facility.

Indio court did NOT match up the paperwork. Warrant issued for my arrest for not showing up in court with "fix it" paperwork. I had called and they told me it was taken care of. Another case of the right hand not knowing what the left was doing. I got stopped for speeding in LA. Warrant check-I went to jail for a 14yo "fix it" ticket. Never showed up anyplace except in California. That arrest is still on my record. The records do NOT differentiate between terrorists, murderers, rapists, AND truck drivers who get "fix it" tickets where the paperwork doesn't get properly processed.

If you really want to see how badly DHS is performing in the security area, send me an email-greatam@earthlink.net-and I will send you the letter (with attachments) I sent to Secretary Chertoff and numerous Senators and Congressman AFTER DHS asked for trucking's help to weed out the "bad guys" and prepare for a disaster. ROTFLMAO will be your response.

Gina

Archived