Ambergris Caye vs. Caye Caulker? Anyone done both?

woodofpine

Ambergris is bigger, more developed (all things are relative, tho; still a laid back place) and farther away from Belize City. I think it took about 1 1/2 hrs by water taxi ( I could be wrong), so a trip out might require a long day in port. YOu can see all of Caulker in a morning, there is a nice place to swim and it's just a small funky island. It would take longer to get around Ambergris. If the weather is bad, the water taxis are not always on time. Hope this helps.

We've done both-it was a long ride between them on the shuttle boat-I'm guessing over an hour each way. Our day on Caulker was fine but only because it was the annual lobster fest. Really not much to do otherwise and we didn't find a place to get into the water-it was HOT! We love Ambergris-again not a great shore entrance anywhere but San Pedro is very fun. Go see the crocodiles or eat in any of the restaurants. Definitely have a beliken somewhere too. Not to miss: the bakery by the new bridge!

Archived