Anything cool to buy in Alaska & Victoria?

midnight302

An Ulu knife. Find a unique one, with the handle handmade of antler, bone, oosick, jade, etc, or choose an 'Alaskan made' mass produced one with a chopping/bowl block. http://www.theulufactory.com/ I've seen this one also... and am very tempted to purchase it (and the bowl) while in Juneau when we sail next month. http://www.galligaskins.com/legend.htm http://www.galligaskins.com/cutting.htm

Ketchikan has a shop that sells genuine handmade porcelain dolls in authentic Native American costume. They're all absolutely gorgeous, and it took me well over an hour to select "Spirit" - she sits in a special place in my glass curio cabinet and brings back wonderful memories of my cruise to Alaska every time I look at her.:)

There are many Russian Shops in Ketchikan. The Czars Palace is one. I want a Gzel Clock and am hoping that they are still in business as they left in August last year. I sent them a letter and have had no response. There is a new shop in the shoppong center that is near the dock. We will be on the Island Princess . Our cruise starts on May 6 from San Pedro. There are many places in all the ports that the dolls can be purshased. You will not be disappointed. :)

Can you tell me the name/location of the shop? My wife is a doll collector and I am sure she would love one of these!

Thanks!

I'm sorry, I do not recall the name of the doll store; however, you really can't miss it - "Main Street" runs parallel to the dock - the shop is right on this street, with many, many, dolls in the picture-glass window. Head left when you hit Main Street as you disembark - you won't walk more than 50 yards, and it's on the right-hand side of the street.

Good luck.

If you are going to Butchard Gardens I found a real nice gift for others at home. I bought packs of flower seeds (Forget-Me-knots) They are beautiful blue flowers. Friends of mine that I gave them to planted them outside of their screened in pool. Everyyear beautiful blue flowers bloom. And they always think of me.!!:)

I like to collect native masks, and the Pacific Northwest has a bunch. I would also recommend a small totem pole replica (we have one at home and it's a neat reminder of Victoria).

Also, if you love salmon (and really, who doesn't?), absolutely, positively, get yourself an alder wood plank. Salmon on that plank is just incredible (order some on your trip and you'll see what I mean). Then as you use it, you can marinade the salmon, and just keep sanding it down to keep the flavor fresh.

:D

Seriously, there are a LOT of really nice souvenirs available, but watch out what you buy. Almost every ulu knife available in the "typical" tourist shops is made in China.

When my wife and I travel, we usually buy a Christmas ornament and a refrigerator magnet from each port we visit. Then we look for something especially unique. For example, at the farmers market in Anchorage, we bought an ornament made from clay collected in the outwash from one of Alaska's glaciers. Can't find those in Florida! In Ketchikan, there is a store on Creek Street where native Alaskan craftsmen make and sell silver jewelry. Some of it is very reasonably priced, and truly beautiful. Most of the ports have stores that sell authentic native Alaskan-made miniature totem poles, but be prepared to pay well for them.

Just a few ideas for you to ponder over. Hope this helps.

If you should get an ulu, be sure to pack it in your checked luggage - it will be taken away from a carryon. Nancy

On NCL they will take it away, but give you a receipt and a time and place to pick it up before the end of your cruise. I've bought a number of them in AK while on cruises.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

Find the Murchies Tea & Coffee store on Government Street in Victoria. They have wonderful teas (they blend themselves) and coffee. Inexpensive and you really can't find Murchies outside of Canada.

As an aside, if you're looking to do "high" tea, do it at Muchies rather than the Empress. The Empress is terribly overpriced for what it is. Do walk through the "grand dame" of a hotel, though. It's lovely.

Archived