Getting to Pompeii from Naples?

Hi,

I will be in Naples with my fiance in October on the Carnival Liberty. We are unable to get the cruiseline excursion so I was wondering if anyone knows how we can get to the ruins of Pompeii on our own from Naples? Any good tour companies out there that someone can suggest? All the tours I saw online start in Rome. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi

If you have the whole day the best thing to do is a tour of pompeii and amalfi coast go on your roll call l bet their are loads of people on there looking for sharers in their private excursions.

If you search google for drivers based in Sorrento Amalfi Naples you will find they all do shore excursions from naples

Do a search on here for Pompeii and Naples and you should come up with a thread with exact directions how to get to Pompeii on your own. We did it but took a bus to the train and then the train to Herculaneum. See if you can find more info from previous posts because they were super detailed and I can't remember bus #'s etc.

On two other occasions, we used Sorrento Limo and Genaro. He is a super gentleman and will drive you anywhere you want to go. He speaks very good English but doesn't take you through the ruins. There are guides there as well as audio guided tours for rent.

sorrentolimo.com (I think...). Good luck!

That is a super website! The only problems with walking to the train station is time element and possible heat element considering the time of year you are there. It can be VERY hot in July when we were there. If you exit the port's parking lot and cross the street directly in front of you, you can get a bus ticket to the train station from the little news stand. You then stand in the center divider of the street and wait for the bus (the number is what I can't remember) and hop on.:eek: We did it, so I know you can! Good luck!:cool:

We took the train from Naples past Pompeii to Sorrento, it was so cheap, about 3 euros, and runs every half hour or so. But it's not a pretty ride, no views, lots of tunnels and industrial lots, and no a/c. Rather than trying to figure out the bus to the train, I'd suggest a cab, it was $10, through a rather seedy area, bums sleeping on the street, not a place to walk even in midday.

But the best way to go is the hydrofoil, Sorrento to Naples was 7 euros, lovely views up the coast, fast, leaves right beside the cruise ships.

-Bob

Bob, didn't you find that the cabs didn't want to take you only to the train station? I have read horror stories about pushy cabbies in Naples. At least with the bus, you are not bothered by them~

One other thought, the hydrofoils don't run if the winds are high. I have also read about cruisers stranded and having to find other ways back to Naples. Perhaps a hydrofoil to Sorrento, then the train back, might be a better plan? I think if we return we might try this!

There were a bazillion cabs lined up at the ship, and yes they are aggressive, hardly let you go by, but they were glad to take us to the train, and would also take people the short ride to the shopping area along Via Toledo. Ours tried to talk us into letting him take us all the way to Sorrento, but he was ok when he realized we didn't want that.

Yes we also heard the hydrofoils don't leave if it's rough, I heard the max is 4 foot waves. So I guess it's best to check the weather report the night before :-) And if it turned out to be bad weather in the morning I guess no one would go anyway, not nice for walking around.

Yes the hydrofoil to Sorrento and then train to Pompeii would work, the train is so frequent, about every 20 minutes. It's sort of like a subway train, no frills :-) but soooo cheap.

We purchased a bus train all day ticket in the kiosk opposite the docks and caught the bus from there to the station and then the train to Pompeii. the only comment would be hang onto your bag very tightly as there are some very strange looking characters in the docks and station area.

I don't recommend walking to the train station in Naples. Neopolitans are the CRAZIEST drivers I've ever seen...they don't necessarily pay attention to stoplights and our cab driver even drove across a median to make a U-Turn.

The walk is not very "scenic" anyway. And it's a fair distance.

We took a cab to the train station. We told the driver we were meeting friends who were taking us to their home in Naples. They just can't argue with that. It was 10 Euros each way (for the cab, not per person) a couple of years ago.

Once you're at the train station, buy your ticket at ground level. Simply ask at the ticket office, "Pompeii Scavi?" Go downstairs to the trains. Ask there: "Pompeii Scavi?" You'll get someone to point you to the right train. Be sure to validate your ticket before getting on the train.

Be sure to get off at POMPEII SCAVI...not Pompeii. Once out of the train station, turn right on the street. You'll start seeing street vendors and will know you're going the right direction...Entrance to the ruins is about a block away.

Get the audio tour. The cost is minimal and it's a great way to get info on the sites at your own pace. If you're going to do this, be sure to bring your DRIVER'S LICENSE, which they'll keep as collateral so you return the audio system. (They'll take passports, too, but I wouldn't risk it.) Note that there are free booklet guides (very substantial, in many languages) near the ticket windows. These are informative with or without the audio tour and they make great souvenirs.

Buy your souvenirs in the Scavi gift shop. I found them to be better quality than "identical" ones at the street vendor. It's nice to have the "before and after" book in hand as you tour the site, so you can see what the various elements once looked like.

You can get back to Naples doing everything in reverse. Buy and validate your return ticket at the Scavi station (you may be able to buy from a machine). Taxis are lined up outside the Naples train station on the ground level.

FYI: Want to send Pompeii postcards quickly? Buy cards from street vendor and ask if you can also buy stamps! Mail at mailboxes at the Naples train station.

Archived