What to expect when flying with an 11 month old?

mdxter

We'll be flying into FLL on Sept. 17 to board the "Valor", and some friends have mentioned the ear pressure hurting our baby. Anyone experienced this with their child? What are the remedies to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

mdxter

Yes, they can feel discomfort. I always tried to time it that they had a bottle-the trick is not to give it to them too soon, so that it's gone when they really need it...The sucking apparently helps.

HTH and enjoy your trip.

I read this also,( as above poster ) Plus I htink my DR suggest a bottle at time of take off, or sucking on pacifier. I will be flying with our 10 month old son. SOON! Can't wait. Deb

04/30/06 Carnival Destiny:D

Please let me know how your child handled everything. Are you bring a stroller?

Went on the Destiny a couple of years ago and loved the itinerary. In fact I went on tour to Sapphire Beach, fell in love with the beach and ended up purchasing a condo there. Just wished I could go more than once a year there.

Mdxter

Valor 9/17/06

Yes, I should have been more specific-it can happen both at take off and landing. Particularly with take off, hold off until you're actually, literally about to be airborne, or better yet, wait until you're off the ground. Landing is a little trickier...you just never know how quick the descent will be or how long you'll have to be in a holding pattern. If your child uses a pacifier, it's a bit easier.

Worst case scenario, they'll cry a little. While they may be uncomfortable, it's just that - discomfort. I can pretty much guarantee you it will bother you, at the time and in the long run, more than it will bother your child or your fellow pasengers.

I'm sure it will be fine. Enjoy!

I don't mean to answer questions not directed to me, but if I may add another two cents worth....I would DEFINITELY advocate a stroller. There have been recommendations about specific models here, but I consider a 5-point harness system, hood (to support rain or bug net), storage, large wheels (to handle uneven surfaces) and compact and easy folding absolutely necessary.

As a by-product of having a child in a stroller, we've always been able to avoid some (or a lot depending on the port) of the waiting in line. We've gotten priority treatment, along with those in wheelchairs.

Looks like I may have to go out and get the type of stroller you just mentioned. Right now we have our main stroller and a jogging stroller, both are huge suv type strollers. Can't take neither one of them. But if i want to have fun with less fuss from an 11 month old, I may have to do use your recommendation.

Thanks again for the flying tips.

Mdxter

We took our first flight last month with our 5 month old son and I was concerned about the air pressuse hurting his ears. As it turned out, there was nothing to worry about. My wife nursed him after takeoff and he fell asleep pretty quickly, didn't wake up until the plane was landed and at the gate. Personally I have more trouble with my ears on descent, but it didn't bother my son at all. Same thing with the return flight.

Now, I'm hoping he'll do the same on our flight from LAX to San Juan in a couple of weeks!

Don't forget you'll need your rear facing car seat on the airplane also. So much can happen even during the flight (turbulance, etc) that you really don't want to try to hang on to your baby (a'la Brittany Spears)

Good Luck with the flight! As Mom1977 mentions, please use your car seat on the plane. Many airlines offer infant fares, so you can guarantee a seat for your baby.

An 11 month old may use a bottle, binky, or eat a snack such as cheerios. All you want to do is equalize the pressure. If your baby shows any signs of a cold, give him an antihistimine such as Benadryl. Call your pediatrician for the proper dosage.

Also, pay attention to your descent. Depending on the airport you are flying into, descent may start up to 25-30 minutes before landing. A small snack like cereal works well to get the baby to chew and swallow. Hand them out slowly so they last through the descent.

Have fun!

Another good trick especially during decent, if baby is crying because of ear pain, ask cabin attendant to pour hot water into a clean empty styrofoam cup with a paper napkin on the bottom. Empty out the water and then hold the EMPTY CUP over the baby's ears. Don't forget that you can keep the stroller with you in the airport until you get onto the plane and then you "gate check" it.

Don't forget you'll need your rear facing car seat on the airplane also. So much can happen even during the flight (turbulance, etc) that you really don't want to try to hang on to your baby (a'la Brittany Spears)

Are you serious with the rear facing car seat? I hope that it is not a requirement. I was hoping i can have her sit in my lap for the duration of the flight.

That is a long flight from LAX to SJU. Good luck and let me know how your child handled it.

Mdxter

The car seat on the airplane is not a requirement, it is a recommendation.

I have a friend with small children who works for an airline, and while I would generally consider her a very laid back mom, she is adamant that small children should be in carseats when flying. She maintains that without the car seat, there is simply no way to protect a small child in the event of turbulance, etc.

You will see many traveling with babies in their lap. However, I have noticed more and more that small children are occupying carseats in their own seat. It can actually help, in the sense that they are (in many cases) familiar with being in a car seat for a stretch of time, so they seem to accept the restraint better than if they were forced to stay in your lap for hours.

This issue is much like the one dealing with bringing a carseat for shore excursions. Some feel very strongly that you should always err on the side of caution, regardless the expense and/or inconvenince. Others feel differently.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful and safe trip!

Just adding my $.02 as a mom who's travelled with her young one on several occasions. If at all possible, get a seat for the little one. If yours is at all active (mine is VERY much so) it's just about the only way to convince them that they have to stay put - even if they aren't walking yet, they can put up quite a struggle if they want to see what's going on elsewhere! :) One time I did travel with him on my lap - a quick 1 hour flight when he was 18 months old... never again! The longer the flight, the longer you have to convince them to stay put!

I often fly alone with my twins (15 mos) and find that the back of the plane is easiest. It's a closer run to the rest room, and you can stand in the back with a restless toddler (since no one can stand in the front of the plane anymore).

Have a great time!

- Mia

I am a mom who travels with her kids all the time as well. I have to say to check the airline to see if they allow infant carriers. One time, US Air gave us a problem with using the infant carrier. The stewardess was being a pain about it. And my youngest was only 7 months old and I felt she needed to be in a car seat so she could rest comfortably.

On another note, we just got home on Sunday from Disney World. I did not buy my 23 month old a seat for this flight. BIG mistake. She wanted her own seat. We were really cramped in. And we had a 2 hour delay as we were stuck ON THE PLANE while they fixed something. It was terrible. So the 2 hour flight became a 4 hour flight.

And yes, you will need a bottle (or pacifier) on takeoff and landing. And as far as a stroller, I went out and bought a Jeep Umbrella Stroller. We have the Jeep full sized stroller but that was way too big to lug around. The Jeep Umbrella stroller is really lightweight. And it had side pockets for storage.

Have a great trip :D

Archived