RCI out of Norfolk

RCI's Empress of the Seas will be sailing out of Norfolk 4/20/07-7/27/07 on seven day Bermuda cruises. This is a big plus for the city after Holland America decided to pull out the end of the year. The new state of the art cruise terminal is to open March of 2007. Maybe this is a start to more cruises out of Norfolk.

I hope that they do put a lot more cruises out of Norfolk. It will save me a lot of time and money not having to fly anywhere. I would cruise on the Empress anytime. I have only cruised on the mega ships and wouldn't mind trying a smaller ship.

We sailed "into" Norfolk on the Celebrity Horizon last spring on the repo San Juan to Norfolk sailing. Sorry, but your local economy won't ever get my cruise dollars again! New terminal or not, it was the absolute worst disembarkation experience of my life. The walk from where you pick up your bags to where you get your taxi was about a mile long. OK, I'm exaggerating here, but the sidewalk weaved in and out and up and down the beautiful exterior of the terminal. Pretty, yes, but NOT designed to drag luggage around. Then we finally got to the taxi stand to find 3 taxis and 400+ people waiting for a taxi. The guy managing the loading of the taxis would only let one taxi load at a time. The taxis had to pass up where the loading was and then back in. As we got closer to the front of the line, people start to walk up the sidewalk toward the waiting taxis, but the dispatcher or whoever he was stopped them because there wasn't a sidewalk there and it was "too dangerous" and made us wait until the previous taxi was filled before we got another one. People started taking the phone numbers off the cabs and calling the taxi cab companies directly and requesting more cabs. The taxi company dispatchers said they were instructed not to send more taxis because of the slow loading facility and the only way they would come get us is if we walked across the street and down one block and meet them there so they wouldn't get in trouble with the port authorities. The line of people waiting of course grew bigger as disembarkation continued. The handling of handicapped persons was horrific. There was no where to sit while you waited in this seemingly unending line and of course people started getting nasty as they got more tired.

I realize I shouldn't let one experience sour me, but as I have to fly into or out of every cruise I take, until they start embarkation at Chicago's Navy Pier, it would have to be the most incredible value on an incredible ship and an incredible itinerary before I would ever sail into or out of Norfolk ever again.

Perhaps before you diss so dramatically on the cities economy that supports some of your fellow cruisers, you might just give the leaders of the city of Norfolk a break in being intelligent enough to figure out that it is a poor design AND that bringing in the new terminal will alleviate most, if not all, of those concerns. I work near that terminal and drive in and out of the city all week long... the traffic pattern is, in itself, enough to make you drink... but they are working on that with the new terminal and even though I am not a fan of traveling near the Norfolk waterfront, I won't make those kind of judgements or write a 1/2 page knocking something until I have tried it.

Bravo Nancy! I have to agree that the getting on and off board in Norfolk Stinks. But as Nancy said once the terminal is done it should take care of that. But to condemn a whole city is a little harsh. I have grown up a military brat and have lived in a lot of places across the US and have to say that the Tidewater area of VA is a great place to live.

Perhaps before you diss so dramatically on the cities economy that supports some of your fellow cruisers, you might just give the leaders of the city of Norfolk a break in being intelligent enough to figure out that it is a poor design AND that bringing in the new terminal will alleviate most, if not all, of those concerns. I work near that terminal and drive in and out of the city all week long... the traffic pattern is, in itself, enough to make you drink... but they are working on that with the new terminal and even though I am not a fan of traveling near the Norfolk waterfront, I won't make those kind of judgements or write a 1/2 page knocking something until I have tried it.

If they are still working on a new terminal, I apologize, however, when we docked we were told we were arriving "in the new terminal", so that WAS my experience and I "thought" I HAD TRIED IT. That is exactly why I stated WHEN I traveled. If things had significantly improved, I was expecting someone to tell me all the great changes that had been made, and how they got off to a rocky start and learned from their mistakes. I haven't heard that yet, so I will stay with my opinion, however.

If you do a search of my previous posts, you will find that I do not go around dissing things, people or events. I don't typically join the chair hog, kid hating, jeans dissing threads. I use these boards to share my experiences, learn about things to avoid (like a poor port area) and embrace the cruising experience. My previous post was a report of MY EXPERIENCE and those of the others on that sailing. If you reallly want to hear some rantings, go over to the Celebrity boards and look up Tuggers. She posts there frequently and after our cruise was looking into taking actions against the way she was handled in her wheelchair. As I don't need to sail out of Norfolk, I haven't kept up with what happened, but I'm sure she can fill you in.

Now, you'll forgive me if I don't come back and revisit this thread. It's not that I'm avoiding the flaming of my post, but I board a plane for my next cruise in a few hours and won't be back for several weeks. I hope the port authority and the City of Norfolk have made huge improvements, because they were needed.

All I can say is Hooray!!! That goes for RCCL leaving from Norfolk- we have family there, so it will combine vacations. That also goes for bringing Empress of the Seas to Norfolk- our favorite RCCL ship and lastly it goes for getting rid of the complainers..........

We live in Williamsburg, VA and are thrilled to have RCI use Norfolk. We were hoping to see some since the new terminal. Even stopped saving on the air tran card in hopes of not having to fly to FL for our future cruise. Already doing another 2006 cruise(Jan and upcoming OCT) so would love to do the Bermuda one with NO AIRFARE!

Lets hope RCI brings in some of the other ships too.

Well for anyone interested the itinerary for norfolk will be:

Day 1: Norfolk Departs 4:00pm

Day 2: Sea Day

Day 3: Hamilton 1:00pm arrival

Day 4: Hamilton

Day 5: Hamilton Departs 7:00 am

St. George Arrival 9:00am

Day 6: St. George Departure 12:00 noon

Day 7: Sea Day

Day 8: Norfolk 7:00 am

Perhaps, however do you realize how old and small the Empress is? RCI would have to pay me to get on that ship :eek:

###

While Empress is an older ship she is certainly in good condition, especially after her refurbishing last year. We sailed her to Bermuda prior to the refurb, and found her to be in good shape, clean with a super crew. As for small...bigger is not always better. We actually got to know some of our fellow passengers and cruise staff on Empress - a far cry from Mariner, Voyager or Navigator cruises we've taken. I suggest that you withhold judgement until you've experienced Empress. Can't wait for her to get to Norfolk - only 35 minutes from home.

I've cruised out of Norfolk twice, Miami twice, and Baltimore twice. My experiance is that Miami was terrible. I didn't have any trouble with Norfolk or Baltimore. I'm glad to be able to leave locally. It's 20 minutes away from me.

For all those concerned, they have been in the process of getting the terminal up and running for two or three years now and things have changed a lot. If it's been a while since you were here, what you got was the make shift terminal and I'm sorry for the inconvience. I'm really excited about our new terminal and RCI! :D

I don't know anything about the Empress, but I heard of this plan last week and have already made plans to go pending the prices. :)

The new cruise terminal in Norfolk is set to open in the Spring of '07. So... no one has "experienced it". I say we give the city a chance to redeem itself. That was what I was trying to say in my post to "Murphy". Don't knock it until you have tried it. That city's economy supports my family. I hope they do it right!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I hope that I can finally go to a decent port of departure without flying!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if Carnival will replace the Empress (which currently runs out of Philly during that time of year) with another ship for Philly? I hope it isn't that RCI has decided to not sail out of Philly anymore. :confused:

We sailed "into" Norfolk on the Celebrity Horizon last spring on the repo San Juan to Norfolk sailing. Sorry, but your local economy won't ever get my cruise dollars again! New terminal or not, it was the absolute worst disembarkation experience of my life. The walk from where you pick up your bags to where you get your taxi was about a mile long. OK, I'm exaggerating here, but the sidewalk weaved in and out and up and down the beautiful exterior of the terminal. Pretty, yes, but NOT designed to drag luggage around. Then we finally got to the taxi stand to find 3 taxis and 400+ people waiting for a taxi. The guy managing the loading of the taxis would only let one taxi load at a time. The taxis had to pass up where the loading was and then back in. As we got closer to the front of the line, people start to walk up the sidewalk toward the waiting taxis, but the dispatcher or whoever he was stopped them because there wasn't a sidewalk there and it was "too dangerous" and made us wait until the previous taxi was filled before we got another one. People started taking the phone numbers off the cabs and calling the taxi cab companies directly and requesting more cabs. The taxi company dispatchers said they were instructed not to send more taxis because of the slow loading facility and the only way they would come get us is if we walked across the street and down one block and meet them there so they wouldn't get in trouble with the port authorities. The line of people waiting of course grew bigger as disembarkation continued. The handling of handicapped persons was horrific. There was no where to sit while you waited in this seemingly unending line and of course people started getting nasty as they got more tired.

I realize I shouldn't let one experience sour me, but as I have to fly into or out of every cruise I take, until they start embarkation at Chicago's Navy Pier, it would have to be the most incredible value on an incredible ship and an incredible itinerary before I would ever sail into or out of Norfolk ever again.

I have to agree with this post. Our disembarkation in Norfolk was by far the worst we have ever experienced. Total anarchy. I think they had two shuttle buses for 1200 people. People fighting to get on the buses. Plus the porters were extremely rude also. Strictly out to make a buck. Not actually assist anyone. Our experience in Norfolk made us appreciate Cape Liberty in Bayonne.

I sailed out of Norfolk once on HAL's Maasdam when it was the temporary terminal next to the Nautical Museum. We did a park & stay at the Holiday Inn and they provided a shuttle to and from the port. Sure the traffic was crazy and it was not a smooth process. However, I would go back again I suppose.

Funny comment about the old/small ship. Some people do think that way which is ok. I hesitated too for my upcoming cruise but I figured.. I've been on many cruises over the past 18 years so even if it's dinky, I can pretend I'm camping in a trailer. lol. Small is relative if anyone has ever been on the Norway. I can say I wouldn't choose to go to Bermuda at the end of October. People forget that it's not a carribean/bahama type climate and it can get cool enough for a light sweater that time of the year. I prefer it HOT.:D

I think this will replace the Philly port Snowball. Maybe RCCL is going this route as they are retiring the Horizon (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one).

I have to agree with this post. Our disembarkation in Norfolk was by far the worst we have ever experienced. Total anarchy. I think they had two shuttle buses for 1200 people. People fighting to get on the buses. Plus the porters were extremely rude also. Strictly out to make a buck. Not actually assist anyone. Our experience in Norfolk made us appreciate Cape Liberty in Bayonne.

But your experience was at the old port.... my point... give them a break... let them try to fix it. I am seriously not a fan of the parking situation/traffic in the port of Norfolk. Let them see if they can fix it with the new terminal and give it a try. If it sucks, I will be the first to be here saying so!!!!!!!!! Trust me.

Yep, the NEW terminal in Norfolk is scheduled to open in Spring 2007. There was never an official terminal before, just a makeshift setup. So anyone who cruised out of Norfolk in the past will probably see a big improvement coming up.

We have lots of confidence in our neighbors in Norfolk. We just booked the 5/26/07 Empress cruise!! :D

Cheryl

I love to cruise, no matter where to or from! Norfolk is great for me as I livein Richmond! RCI is even better. I just did not want to go on HAL yet. I am still too young and need the fun and nightlife! I like Norfolk, the Waterside area, and all that it has to offer. We are all so spoiled that a little confusion sets everyone into a tizzy! Relax, you are going on a cruise. I tell you I never want to fly into San Juan ever again, but if it mant I was getting on Serenade again, I would go in a flash. I would deal with the issues and keep going knowing my final destination was close by!

Archived