Casual dress on Formal nights

mozart1999

As for dress-code enforcement ... as I've repeatedly posted on this board, I have seen it happen. I have seen/heard people turned away from the main dining room ... and even asked to leave ... for not being dressed according to code. It's happened on the Statendam, the Zaandam, the Volendam, and the Maasdam. All of these cruises were longer cruises ... and in every instance it was a man who refused to wear a jacket.

Then you've seen something, Rev, that I have never seen ... not on HAL anyway. I only saw the dress code enforced once ... and that was on a Princess cruise when someone tried entering the dining room for breakfast wearing a tank top. He was asked to leave. For dinner, though, I can't say I've ever seen anyone asked to leave the dining room. Of course, that's not saying no one was. From my experience, as long as people are dressed neatly ... no shorts, jeans, flipflops, etc. ... I've never seen them ejected due to not technically being dressed formally on formal night.

Sad to say ... in my last several cruises, the trend I've been noticing is a lot of empty spots at tables in the main dining room ... especially on port days. Maybe at one time the food was so good in the main dining room that the majority of folks took the extra effort to dress appropriately in order to dine there? Today, though, it seems like every cruise I go on, I wind up sitting at a table for eight that maybe has three or four people on any given night ... even on sea days. And, I've noticed this both on HAL and on Princess. That would seem to indicate a trend to me ... that maybe the dining room is no longer the elegant place it once was? Maybe today the Lido is considered just as good ... not to mention much, much faster?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason it will never happen is because an overwhelming majority of the passengers don't want it to happen? HAL is a business. They are a successful business. The reason they are so successful is specifically that they dance to the tune of their customers. If the majority have made their feelings known against formal dress codes in the onboard surveys, then HAL will more than likely not very stringently enforce such a dress code. If you want to get all gussied up, fine. But if someone else chooses to come to the dining room dressed country club casual, that's fine too.

Believe me, if the majority of the passengers were dressed to the nines, and expressed their desire to see dress codes strictly enforced, those few who did not abide by them would be on their way to the Lido in no time flat.

As I've said before, I think how strongly the dress code is enforced will also depend upon the ship/itinerary. The OP is going on an Alaska cruise ... 7-dayer. Believe me, the majority of the passengers on that sailing aren't going to be putting on tuxes and gowns on formal night, and the OP will most likely be fine as long as she is dressed appropriately for the dining room ... even if the outfit she chooses to wear would not even come close to formal.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

I was just giving a remedy for the situation. They could make it 7 days casual dress and I'd be happy as a pig in slop.:D

I cruised the Zuiderdam last summer and took my tux for formal nights but no jacket for semi formal night. Before I left for the cruise I was charcoal broiled for saying that I didn't want to buy a sportscoat for that one night. Believe me I was in the majority on that night not the minority.

Bill

I´m going to Alaska this june and like to have a different cruise, more casual. Also I´m on an aft. corner suite on the Westerdam and dreaming of the large balcony and all the use I can get from it, like having breakfast and dinner.

Thank You

I was in an SA on ZUI last month, corner 8128 on Navigation Deck. It was the most amazing cabin! We had breakfast and lunch on the balcony several times but most mornigs we took advantage of the Pinnacle Grill.

We enjoy dressing for dinner and had dinner six nights of seven in the Pinnacle as well. The food, service and ambiance were well worth it!

They have done away with it.... on NCL.

HAL is not NCL. If "how you dress is up to you" makes you happy, choose a cruise that meets your requirements.B

I am quite aware of NCL's dress policy. And I am quite aware of what to wear on Formal night on HAL. What I do NOT like on ALL of the cruiselines that STILL have "formal nights" is the fact that it is a jumble of attire on those evenings. You have many people who have changed after dinner mixing with those that are all gussied up and it looks silly. That is what RevNeal was mentioning in his post that I was agreeing to.

Once the cruiselines began OFFERING an alternative dining venue for those that did not want to follow dress guidelines they left themselves wide open to this kind of behavior.

I know that most of CC´s like to dress for formal nights and enjoy the dining room and all the atmosphere around it, but this question is for those that choose NOT to dress and NOT to go to the DR, I want to know all experiences and notes.

I´m going to Alaska this june and like to have a different cruise, more casual. Also I´m on an aft. corner suite on the Westerdam and dreaming of the large balcony and all the use I can get from it, like having breakfast and dinner.

Thank You

It is requested that you adhere to the dress code on formal night in all public areas, but eating at Lido or having room service is certainly acceptable. You'll have access to movies to watch in your room, a sky full of stars, etc. and you can have a nice time without going out and breaking the dress code rules. Be aware that many of us would not pay a lot of attention even if you were out and about, though. (Bring layers for the balcony as it may be chilly out there; we have an aft balcony for Alaska in May and I want to spend a LOT of time out there. I envy your corner suite).

Also, please DO NOT listen to people who tell you to take another cruise line. That is YOUR choice, not THEIRS. If you want to cruise HAL and opt out of formal nights, that is also your choice. Enjoy your cruise!

Here we go again we are going to beat the dead horse again. If you read the "Know before you go" booklet that comes with your docs you will find it says. Dress code for the evening will be for all public spaces. Which means to me that even if you eat in the Lido you need to be dressed. the way around this would be to have room service and remain on your balcony.

OK Now Flame Away

On the Amsterdam's Circle Hawaii last December we saw people wearing shorts, robes, etc. on formal nights. They were having dinner at the Lido. The first time people were waiting for the elevator in shorts on a formal night they said formal was only for the dining room. I guess they didn't read the booklet and HAL personnel weren't enforcing the code.

My grandson is in his early twenties. . .he is bringing a suit for formal evenings but should I insist that he bring a sport coat for all other evenings in the dining room? We are in the southern Med and it will be quite warm in mid-JUne. Isn't a nice long sleeved shirt and trousers acceptable in the dining room on informal nights? It was on our Costa cruise last summer. . We know about jeans not being acceptable and all the rest, but does he need a jacket every evening, or is a sweater sometimes acceptable?

My grandson is in his early twenties. . .he is bringing a suit for formal evenings but should I insist that he bring a sport coat for all other evenings in the dining room? We are in the southern Med and it will be quite warm in mid-JUne. Isn't a nice long sleeved shirt and trousers acceptable in the dining room on informal nights? It was on our Costa cruise last summer. . We know about jeans not being acceptable and all the rest, but does he need a jacket every evening, or is a sweater sometimes acceptable?

As for dress-code enforcement ... as I've repeatedly posted on this board, I have seen it happen. I have seen/heard people turned away from the main dining room ... and even asked to leave ... for not being dressed according to code. It's happened on the Statendam, the Zaandam, the Volendam, and the Maasdam. All of these cruises were longer cruises ... and in every instance it was a man who refused to wear a jacket.

On ZUI last month, there were 4 men in my party of 8 with reservations in the PG. It was an informal night. Each of these men showed up sans jacket. The PG manager very politely but firmly advised them that jackets would be required to have dinner that evening.

The men all went and changed and dinner was wonderful I was very pleased to see that the policy was enforced.

I do not agree with Rita that an "overhwhelming majority" prefer not to dress formally. Lines like HAL and X IMO appeal to the more traditional cruiser who prefers a more elegant experience. Dressing for dinner is part of that experience.

I also have no problem with a 2 hour - or longer - dinner. What a treat to linger and enjoy the company of my dining companion(s) in such a lovely atmosphere! We dined in PG six of 7 nights last month on ZUI and it was the highlight of the evening. Shows and gambling do not appeal to me personally and there was not much else going on after dinner on HAL. We were in no rush to go anywhere else and most nights PG at 8:30 was it.

We plan to do the same on OS next year.

Just personal preference. I guess I am an old school cruiser.

Recently on the Noordam, I was surprised to see many men (not teenage boys) in shirtsleeves and ties on formal night. On nights that a sportscoat was requested, I have to say the majority of men wore nice shirts (not ties) such as an Hawaiian shirt. This is a far cry from what used to be seen on HAL. Perhaps society is changing and if that's the case, should HAL change also? After all, what else can they say but "Good Evening, Sir".

That's quite different than what we encountered on the Amsterdam. The dining room staff asked men who weren't wearing coats to return to the dining room properly attired. On formal nights all men without a coat and tie were not admitted to the dining room. However, anything went in the Lido - shorts, robes, tank tops, bare feet, etc.

All HAL has to do is enforce the dress code and this matter wouldn't have to be debated every 3 days.

Newbies like the OP would post and ask for experiences and everyone would reply that you will not be permitted into the dining room unless you strictly adhere to the dress code, end of story!

Sadly we all know that it will never happen.:(

Bill

Newbies do not all come to cruise critic. Some newbies plan special last-minute cruises, pack and go. If we had cruise critic before our Alaskan cruise with my elderly MIL, I would have been too anxious to even get on the ship! We decided to take her on a cruise after she had travelled here all the way from New Zealand. We did NOT tell her to bring "formal" attire and found that nice dresses, jackets and skirts were more than enough for the formal nights in Alaska. If people gave her the evil eye for being under-dressed, we must have missed it - and I'm certainly glad SHE missed it!

Yes, it is nice for everyone to be dressed consistently, but the emphasis on extremely formal clothing like ball gowns and tuxedos is over-the-top. We got DH a tux for our cruise last year and he is happy with that, but any nice, dark suit would have worked. I had cocktail dresses and a gown, but saw very pretty (and more informal) pant suits, too. I think new folks can be intimidated by all the dress code threads - and dress code WARS. It's a shame that so many are quick to point people to other cruise lines for a more casual experience. People can have a more casual cruise on HAL within the rules. Why deprive them of that? (Hmmm, maybe to keep cabins open?)

He's an adult - he should abide by the dress code same as everyone else.

BTW - There's lots of options out there - there are linens, cottons and lightweight wool gabardines that are perfectly comfortable on warm-ish evenings. It's also not a crime to wear a suit jacket with a different pair of pants to achieve a different look....

I just don't understand the fuss for men who would rather kick and scream than put on a suit or jacket and tie once in a while - I mean a tux or a suit is just a jacket and pair of pants that match...

...its not like we're telling you that you have to dress up in a pink-bunny costume from your Aunt!

I just don't get it. It's like people who buy a home in a deed restricted neighborhood and build a storage shed in the front yard. I'm all for personal rights and everyone being happy. But when you know, upfront, what the expectations are and choose not to go along, then how is it right for the people you are imposing upon?...B

NO, it is quite different from your scenario which involves a major long-term investment, and where there is recourse for other residents. A HAL cruise is a short-term experience where someone does have a LEGITIMATE option within the current guidelines not to comply with formal night requirements. They don't have the right to traipse around the ship in their bathrobe or in blue jeans, but that is true on any other night as well. If someone is happy with MOST of their HAL experience, there is no reason to try to force them to cruise with another line. They can stay happy and the dress code can stay intact and be followed (to whatever extent it is followed on that particular ship on that particular cruise), and everyone wins. People are often more than happy to have dinner in their cabin or at Lido and they don't all rush out to the shows and lounges in defiance of the evening dress code either.

This has been a pet peeve of mine since day one on this board. There are occasional flagrant dress code violations, but someone dressed a notch below fancy dress is never going to put my knickers in a twist. These threads create a lot of anxiety that is really unnecessary. And, it creates a perception that HAL passengers are rigid and judgmental. That is not wholly accurate, but if I'd visited before our first HAL cruise, I would have been convinced that booking was a mistake. We have thoroughly enjoyed our cruises and I am so glad I found cruise critic after our first cruise on HAL.

...its not like we're telling you that you have to dress up in a pink-bunny costume from your Aunt!

You would look like a "demented easter rabbit" in such a get-up.

However, if you bring your Red Rider BB Gun along with the bunny rabbit suit, I'm sure the Matre'D will let you into the dining room. :D ;)

Just don't shoot your eye out!

I guess we're the only ones interested in SOLUTIONS!! Liked your ideas in #44 post above. I fully understand the rules and suggested rules in place. What I am trying to get across is we need some new ENFORCED ones.

I guess we're the only ones interested in SOLUTIONS!! Liked your ideas in #44 post above. I fully understand the rules and suggested rules in place. What I am trying to get across is we need some new ENFORCED ones.

The only enforcement needed is the self-imposed enforcement which responsible adults bring to the situation. That's the essence of civilized behavior...

That's the essence of civilized behavior...

You assume the unwashed masses are civilized. ;)

To be wise, one should never do that.

As Robert A. Heinlein once said: "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity" ... to which I would add: "or incivility."

Hey ... if I'm going to be branded a snob and a "stuffed" shirt, might as well let it ALL hang out!

Newbies do not all come to cruise critic. Some newbies plan special last-minute cruises, pack and go. If we had cruise critic before our Alaskan cruise with my elderly MIL, I would have been too anxious to even get on the ship! We decided to take her on a cruise after she had travelled here all the way from New Zealand. We did NOT tell her to bring "formal" attire and found that nice dresses, jackets and skirts were more than enough for the formal nights in Alaska. If people gave her the evil eye for being under-dressed, we must have missed it - and I'm certainly glad SHE missed it!

LOL ... trust me ... from my limited experience with cruising HAL ships, if anyone had given your MIL the "stinkeye" over how she was dressed, it would have probably been someone right from these boards! :) I've found that in actual truth, most people don't give a rat's you know what about what other people are wearing (assuming, of course, those other people are not dressed just downright sloppy). People are too focused on having a good time in their own groups to worry how others are dressed. And ... isn't that the way it should be?

In fact, I've heard tons of grumbling while onboard ... especially from men ... who do NOT want to get all stuffed into their tuxudo and go to the dining room that evening ... because the dress code is formal. In fact, I heard one guy tell his wife ... "you've got a choice. I go dressed casually or you can go to the dining room alone." Needless to say, the wife told him to just wear his sports jacket.

I'm sure there are people who love to get dressed to the nines when onboard ship ... and that's great. But then there are plenty of others who just want to be comfortable and enjoy a good meal in the dining room. Why can't we all just get along is the only thing I wonder. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree with you 1000% and for that reason I dislike formal nights. Either EVERYONE takes part or do away with it.

I wonder if HAL has actually taken any surveys on the subject ... or perhaps added a question to the comment cards that are filled out at the end of a cruise? That's really the only way to settle the matter. So what the majority of the passengers want. If it comes out close ... say 60/40 in favor of formal dress code nights, then maybe another dining venue needs to be added (split up the two levels of the main dining room), where the dress code would be country club casual every night. But, if the vote is overwhelmingly in favor of formal dress code nights ... say like 80% to 90% ... then the dining room personnel should be instructed to STRICTLY enforce the dress code as a matter of passenger preference.

But ... as I've said before ... I'd be willing to bet that HAL has already done its research and found that an overwhelming percentage of their passengers just don't want to bother. And ... that's why people get into the dining room and seated wearing just about anything.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The facts are that society is changing. Those of us who want to maintain standards (formal dress by eveyone on formal nights) are probably dreaming in colour.

Times change and people's sense of decorum changes. I've gotten accustomed to going to a fine restaurant dressed up (my preference) and having people at the next table in jeans. So I guess, why should a cruise ship be any different? We book cruises to get away from the usual routine at home -- but that's a personal preference. Others book cruises and expect at much as possible to have everything the same as at home.

The only thing we (as members of the formal crowd) can do is get over it and move on. After all, there are lots of problems in the world to worry about without acognizing over the guy who showed up in his bathrobe on a formal night. Look at it this way -- you'll always remember that guy but probably forget by the next night whoever was next to you in a tux.

Call it part of a "colourful" experience that you will recall years from now.

For me, fine dining means that you "dress". Somehow, enjoying an exquisite steak in a pair of jeans or shorts just takes away from the experience.

I don't care for seeing people in casual dress on formal night. I enjoy the atmosphere that is formal night.

I agree with the many posters here that say if you don't intend to dress, maybe you should find a cruise line more to your dress code.

In the seven cruises that I have been on, I can say with all honesty that I have NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVEN REMOTELY EVER, noticed what others were wearing in the dining room! NEVER! EVER! It just doesn't happen.

My husband and I focus entirely on the fact that we are on a relaxing VACATION... we are thankful for the fact that we are healthy, prosperous, and enjoying life. My eyes are focused on his handsome face, and his attention is solely on me (which we'd do in any land-based restaurant). We do NOT go out to "critique" our surroundings or those around us.

I'm sorry for those of you who might feel "detracted" by what someone else might wear to dinner... life is far too short and precious to even have such an item on your radar. You cannot control others, but you can certainly control your reaction to others. Ce La Vie.

I know that most of CC´s like to dress for formal nights and enjoy the dining room and all the atmosphere around it, but this question is for those that choose NOT to dress and NOT to go to the DR, I want to know all experiences and notes.

Thank You

Making a statement are you?? :( Those that choose NOT to dress and NOT to go to the DR usually choose a Line that offers 'alternative dining' or whatever it's called - why didn't you?

Can only assume you won 'the big wooden spoon' award somewhere...... and feel compelled to use it - for what purpose? :confused: Doubt you'll gain 'brownie points'!

The choice of cruise line is not just about dining room and dress code. We have chosen HAL for an Alaska cruise for 2007. This is because of the itinerary, departure date, ship size, ship layout and stateroom amenities. we will probably dine at the Lido or use room service in our suite most nights(travelling with school age children). We may choose to dine in the DR on a casual night but it's not a major for us. We can eat at a restaurant or fine dining restaurant at home if we want to! Please don't say that just because people aren't interested in dressing for formal nights means they should be cruising on another line.

BTW, we have no intention of flouting our choice of casual dress on formal night, we will simply keep to our suite if that's what's expected

People CAN dress casually on HAL and BE WITHIN the cruiseline's dress code. Why is that so hard to understand? If someone is willing to avoid the public areas, what EXACTLY is the problem? Why is this even anyone else's concern? If they're dining on their balcony, you won't know how they are dressed - unless you lean over and look. Live and let live...

Cruiseoften - your post is needlessly insulting to the OP. What brownie points do you get for being so rude?

Archived