luggage question

I know this subject has been covered before, but I have a quick quesiton. Has anyone brought any extra (overweight or additoinal) luggage on an Air Tahiti flight from Papetee to Bora Bora? I have e-mailed Air Tahiti, but never heard back from them. I would like to avoid leaving luggage at the airport and thought maybe we could just pay the additional fee. The webiste doesn't really seem clear.

Thanks.

While I didn't fly Air Tahiti inter island, the airline I flew weighed us (thankfully it was the start of vacation!) and our luggage. There was not an option of paying more if it weighed too much. What I saw them do was put as much on as possible and then fly the rest on another flight. There are tons of flights between islands and the runways are quite short and the planes quite small, so I don't think you really would want to risk overweight.

Why don't you try calling them?

This is from their website:

Q : My baggage exceeds the free allowance

A : Charges for excess baggage are strictly levied due to weight restrictions on our network. Rates are display in the Fares search results.

Discounts on excess baggage charges : For travel not exceeding 30 days, two options are available upon your first check-in (either in Tahiti or Moorea) :

"Roundtrip" : 30% reduction on the roundtrip rate.

"Circle trip including several islands" : the rate for the whole circuit is equal to the roundtrip rate to the island farthest from Tahiti (or Moorea). Example for a trip Tahiti - Moorea - Huahine - Bora Bora - Rangiroa - Tahiti. The normal additional segment rates is 740 F CFP per kg; the discounted rate is calculated on Tahiti - Rangiroa - Tahiti, that is 400 F CFP per kg.

Ask for this special discounted rate upon check-in in Tahiti or Moorea, and pay once for the whole trip.

Archived