Qe2

NJBill

I have sailed a few times on other lines and was thinking of trying the QE2. I was looking at the pricing structure, and it seemed a lot more reasonable than I thought it would be, given the luxury of the ship. Am I missing something? Is food included like other cruise lines? Do they charge for things that most others do not?

Thanks for the information.

... given the luxury of the ship.

That is the point - the QE2 is luxurious. However she is a) 40 years old; and b) a liner not a cruise ship. If you want a floating gin palace (you'll guess I don't!:) ), all glass, mirrors and atriums then she's not for you, you wouldn't consider her luxurious. If however you want to experience a boat that was built to cross the Atlantic in all weathers, you want the patina of years of fine living, you want a ship with character, then the QE2's the finest ship afloat.

To answer your question - everything's included that you'd expect to be included, there are no nasty surprise, she's just an elderly lady with the end not too far distant - that's why her cabins are cheap.:(

I have sailed a few times on other lines and was thinking of trying the QE2. I was looking at the pricing structure, and it seemed a lot more reasonable than I thought it would be, given the luxury of the ship. Am I missing something? Is food included like other cruise lines? Do they charge for things that most others do not?

Thanks for the information.

There is no other comparable experience because there is no other liner in the world like QE2. And that is probably the essence of the difference. QE2 is a liner, built to cross the Atlantic at a rate of knots (remember the QE2 can travel backwards faster than most ships can go forwards) and in her heyday was the epitome of ocean travel.

The world has moved on. Cruising is now a multi billion dollar industry with each shipping company vying for trade. Ships are glitzy floating hotels with all associated amenities.

The QE2 is nearly 40 and she may show her age in some ways. But I guarantee that sailing her will be an experience that you'll be unable to replicate on any other ship. The food is excellent, service incomparable and the sense of 'living' history on board is indescribable.

As far as I'm aware, services etc on QE2 included in the price are the same as for other cruise liners. All food, including room service meals if you don't want to eat 'out', tea and coffee whether with a meal or if you're sitting in a public area at any time, water, orange. There's an exquisite white glove afternoon tea served in Queens ballroom at 1600 each day. Sandwiches and cakes served by impeccably dressed staff.

No, you're not missing anything. But if you don't book within the next year or so, you may lose the opportunity to sail on a legend. And I guarantee that chance will never come again. Go for it and enjoy!

Well, I'm not sure I'd say that QE2 is that much more luxurious than other ships... At least not in the lower categories.

She has a reputation for being a "luxury" product but in reality I think only the Grills (that's Q and P grade cabins) fit into that segment of the market. Caronia and Mauretania grades, IMHO, are "premium", in the same market segment as e.g. Holland America, and they are priced accordingly.

So if you expect a product that is a lot more luxurious than other ships, you may be disappointed. That's not to say that she's Spartan - far from it - but she is not a "luxury" product (except in the Grills). However, the public perception of QE2 (or QM2) as being far more luxurious than other ships is not necessarily true these days.

All that said, I agree with the other posters... QE2 is a very different ship from any other, and she is really something "to be experienced". I would not say that she's for everyone - the average mass-market cruise passenger would miss the atrium, the balconies, the alternative dining, etc. - but she is a living legend with an atmosphere, grace, and style that the modern ships just can't match. So in the end - go for it! She may not be with us that much longer, and there will never again be another ship like her.

Another warning, her cabins are tiny and quirky, compared to most modern ships. However, the beds, pillows, and duvets are exceptionally comfortable, and the service will be excellent. I had one of the smallest singles (78 ft sq, including bath and closet) but would not hesitate in the least to book that same inside cabin. The closet and drawers are more than adequate. No sofas or lounge chairs, to say the least!

Expect more wood paneling than on modern ships, which is a sign of her age. There is plenty of public space and the two main public decks have chairs and tables along the windows on both sides, with the dining areas and bars mostly in the middle of the ship, so you have a lot of choices to sit and read a good book if the weather is bad.

She is truely an historic legend and you may regret never having experienced her.

Another warning, her cabins are tiny and quirky, compared to most modern ships.

Well... Certainly quirky, but they need not be tiny if one chooses well!

The key with QE2 is to choose a specific cabin and choose it carefully - even in the M grades, one can get a very nice cabin.

If you choose carefully, you can wind up with a cabin that is actually larger than those aboard most newer ships.

And of course, as you said, all of her cabins have storage space that puts newer ships to shame.

Although I haven't sailed on the QE2 I think its important that if anyone wants to see the glory days of ocean travel then they should definitely look into the ship. It may not be flashy and come with all the trappings of a modern cruise ship but it certainly is the most famous of the last of its kind.

Although I haven't sailed on the QE2 I think its important that if anyone wants to see the glory days of ocean travel then they should definitely look into the ship. It may not be flashy and come with all the trappings of a modern cruise ship but it certainly is the most famous of the last of its kind.

The 1970's were the glory days of ocean travel? - that's interesting ..... perhaps you are referring to the bunk beds still in some M grade cabins???

The 1970's were the glory days of ocean travel?

I think QE2 represents "the twilight years of ocean travel" rather than "the glory days".

If you want to see the "glory days", go to Long Beach and take a look at QUEEN MARY!

Unfortunately, people born after WWII are too young to have experienced the "glory days"... Twilight was already setting in by the late '50s and by the time QE2 came around, she was really just a magnificent dinosaur.

Which of course is what she is. Even the high-tech QM2 is sort of like, I don't know, a carbon-fiber fountain pen - she uses the latest technology, but in a sense is still totally obsolete!

.....If you want to see the "glory days", go to Long Beach and take a look at QUEEN MARY! .......

Couldn't agree more and have done so twice ..... it's what I keep telling people when they rave about QE2 being ... well you know what without me saying!!!

Ken

Archived