South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

Shae - Thanks for the information. I always mix my alcohol with diet drinks so there are not carbs or calories. It is always funny to think about why I am drinking something that has no carbs, no caffeine, no calories - you'd expect it to be no taste, but it isn't. Have a good one.

John- I'm so jealous! I love Fisherman's Wharf! It's just too much fun to walk around and see all the musicians, artists and other performers doing their thing. From what I remember there is also a huge fruit and veggie market there.

Tami

John, I was surprised, too, about rum having zero carbs, but I double checked the article and the book and both state the same thing. Do be careful about the beer. Even though there are a few out there with single digit carb counts for a 12oz. serving they are all still loaded with maltose which is the highest sugar on the GI scale. As Dr. A. states in the SB book, they don't call it a "beer belly" for no reason. That being said, if you do have a beer, treat yourself to one of the lighter one's that actually tastes good.

Shelia, I know what you mean about foo-foo drinks. I'm wondering how many carbs were in that gorgeous, yummy concoction that I had onboard the Coral Princess while in Alaska. It was huge and full of chocolate, whipped cream, etc. I can't remember what it was called, but it tasted like a liquid hot fudge sundae. Guess that won't be on my list of "must haves" next time. In October I stuck with white zinfandel on the few occasions I had anything to drink.
Shae

Well,went off the diet last night for the 1st. time but I think I needed it.
My wife wanted pizza so we ordered one up and of course I had 8 slices.Didn't feel so great after but I felt good this morning and have had a ton of water so far,probably because of the salt.

I have just been low on energy lately,especially late in the day,regardless of all my good snacking.I needed some carbs but probably could have figured out better carbs than pizza but oh well,it's been done and I'm still alive.

Back to a strict diet these last 20 days before we sail with the introduction of good carbs.

I hope Juli is now safely on her way to the ship.I'm envious but we'll be there too before long.

[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]Hello everyone, this is my first time here. I started SB in the summer, dropped about 30 lbs then kind of lost my way around the holidays and gained back 9 lbs. I've been back on since Tuesday, and feeling much better already.[/i][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]Do you ever post recipes here? I'm always on the lookout for good "legal" recipes, and I find that home made ones are the best![/i][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]Here's one I made just this evening. [/i][/color][/size]
[u][size=3][color=darkorchid][i]Bean Salad[/i][/color][/size][/u]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]1 can Chick Peas[/i][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]1 Can Red Kidney Beans[/i][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]1 sm Onion, diced[/i][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]1 Tomatoe, diced[/i][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]1/4 cup Olive Oil[/i][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]1/4 cup Vinegar[/i][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]Mix together and let sit overnight to get the full effect of the vinegar.[/i][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]LOL as I was typing this, my son just said "This is REALLY good!" and he just told me he polished off the whole bowl!! (He doesn't have a weight problem)[/i][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid][i]Enjoy![/i][/color][/size]

Luckyroot- Welcome, and thanks for the recipe! We love chickpeas around our house. I've posted this recipe before but I'll post it again for you and the others who are new to the board. My kids inhale this soup.

Tomato bean pot:

1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
1 can chickpeas
1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes
1 cup of water
1 T sweet pickle relish (don't leave it out! it tastes wierd if you do.)
1 T mustard
2 T brown sugar or brown sugar twin
1/4 cup of splenda

Toss it all in the crockpot and let it go all day.

Tami

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=seagreen]Yummy, thanks mom![/color][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=seagreen][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=seagreen]I love soup, and crockpot recipese too! Fits both! :) [/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=seagreen][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=seagreen]Today I'm having mock french toast with some Walden Farms sugar free Jelly. Walden farms is my saviour on this diet, they have the most amazing products! No sugar, no carbs, no calories, no fat. It's like.......like water with the most amazing flavor! I never liked the atkins brand syrups, too watery. Walden Farms makes a chocolate syrup that is the exact texture of Hersey and tastes really good too! And it, too is sugar, fat, carb, calorie free. Don't know how they do it, but it keeps me on track![/color][/font][/b]

Hi, Everybody, and welcome, Ruth. There were some nice recipes posted in the earlier pages of this thread as well as links to other sources.

I'm sorry I missed wishing Juli a Bon Voyage. I had hoped to get back into the computer earlier this weekend, but we had company overnight, and I just didn't get a chance.

John, I "went off the beach" last evening, too. Ten of us went out to celebrate my daughter's birthday which will occur while we're out of town. She loves this one family-run pizza place in Evansville, so that's where we ate. I did skip the breadsticks and cheesy bread and had a salad instead, but I had a couple of pieces of pizza. Usually we go to this other pizza buffet and DH and I just have a big salad and then eat the toppings off 3-4 tiny slices of pizza. (THey cut them so small there that they usually get 16-20 pieces out of one pie. That works well for us because we can get a variety of toppings.) Today I'll just keep the carbs at a minimum. You'll find the balance of good carbs that lets you keep losing weight yet gives you enough energy that you feel good. Check your vitamin intake, too. You may be missing some important vitamins, like the Bs, and some other nutrients if you cut back too much on all carbs.
Shae

Hi,

I have been on South Beach since Sept 03. I have lost 90 lbs so far. It has been a miracle, so my husband and I will be boarding the Carnival Miracle on June 19th for our 20th anniversary and my 50th birthday. I have about 25 to 30 more lbs to go. Anyone that is just starting this new way of eating, just take it one day at a time, and it will work for you too!:)

Willow, thanks for the reminder to take it one day at a time. Great advice.

Does anyone else get the pre-cruise jitters? Maybe I should say "re-vacation jitters" since I get them before we leave on any kind of trip. They used to hit weeks in advance. This time they started last week, but are getting worse each day. I love cruising once we get onboard, but I practically make myself sick the days before.
Shae

Willow, WOW You are an inspiration to the rest of us.

Shae, I also get pre vacation jitters. It doesn't matter what type of vacation. I usually lay awake the whole night before I leave. This is sometimes good because I usually get up and pack something that I have forgotten. Little items like a slip for me or a belt for my hubby.

Deb

Morning all.

Willow, 90lbs is fantastic,good for you!

Pretty much back on track with the diet.Only 17 days before we sail so trying to do as much as I can before we cruise.Will try to be good on the trip but won't deny myself either.

Weirdeyes,

The pizza was good but not enough to do it again.However,the pizza & calzones on Princess are practically to die for(!) so I don't see myself going without there...at least once or twice!

How is everybody doing so far this week? I seemed to have leveled off on my weight loss. I guess I got rid of all of the extra water last week by losing the 7 lbs. I also ran out of CLA, which always helps me in losing weight and building muscle. I started back exercising last night and boy is my back & legs letting me know about it! LOL

What is everyone else's goal and how much are you trying to lose a week? It seems a lot easier if you break it down per week instead of the overall goal. :)

My goal until May 13th is to lose at least 1.2 lbs a week. If I do that, I will reach my goal of a size 8. :D

Hi. I'm calming down now that I've got my toiletries packed. My best friend will be pet sitting and will come here later this evening. That'll keep me from worrying about whether she arrived okay or not. Leaving our dogs is the hardest part of traveling for me. One good thing about the nerves... I was down another couple of pounds because I have trouble eating when I get wound up. Now I won't feel at all guilty about a few desserts since I'm 5 below goal.

The months really flew by and it's hard to believe we'll be leaving in the morning. Y'all stay warm and healthy while I'm gone. Remember your cruises will be here before you know it, too! Good luck to everyone with your goals.

Deb, are you doing okay out in CA? Those mudslides look so frightening. We've got rivers flooding here, but many of the towns along them are prepared for it.
Shae

Shae,

Have fun on your cruise. WOW you are below your goal. I only wish that would be the case for me when I go on my cruise. Please give us a report when you get back.

We aren't anywhere near any mudslides. My house is in a subdivision on a bluff overlooking a river. We are located on the highest point in this area, so if we get a flood, I will have lots of company. I love the rain, but at this point I am even getting a little waterlogged.

How close are you to Layfayette? We have very dear friends that live there. We drove back for their oldest DD's wedding in 2001. We call them about once a month. His parents live in So Cal so when they fly out to visit we usually drive down to join them.

Deb

[size=3][color=darkorchid]Wierd Eyes, I think I'm down about 7 lbs so far too, talk about twins! :) [/color][/size]

[size=3][color=darkorchid]Willow you are such an inspiration, thanks for the reminder to take one day at a time. Sometimes we forget in our impatience to get to goal. We didn't gain all this weight overnight, it's not going to disappear overnight either.[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=darkorchid]And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome :)[/color][/size]

Deb, I was glad to hear that you're not in danger from the mudslides.

DH was raised in Lafayette, IN. He went to Purdue for a year before transferring to IU (where we met). DS graduated from Purdue, DD from IU. D-I-L is also from Lafayette (W. Lafayette actually).

It's about a 4 1/2 hr. drive from here. We haven't been back up there since my M-I-L passed away over 3 years ago.

We're getting up pretty early so I'd better get going. Bye til next week.
Shae

Archived