What do you ladies wear on airplanes?

Mrsdigi

I am flying down to Miami next month for my cruise. I will be wearing khaki crop pants with a nice little cotton t-shirt and slide on dressy sandals that match my top. Comfortable, but presentable! :)

Welcome to my new world. Just got back from a cruise and set off every single security alarm there was, both at the airports and every single time I got on the ship. Just got new knees 9 months ago but nobody believes me because I'm so young. I just show them my ugly scars and that shuts them up. They're so strict in San Juan that in addition to being wanded (which was a daily ritual for me), I also got patted down.

Thanks for the tip about the IPEX at Victoria's Secret - I'll go try them on and see if they're comfortable on me.

Now what was the original question? Oh, what to wear on planes. Whatever's comfortable (key word there). I wore my light green pants so that I could also wear them on the ship (one less thing to pack), and a tank and shirt jacket in that stretchy slinky material. Very comfortable. When we landed in the 90 degree San Juan, off came the jacket. And you're right about shoes that are easy to slip on and off, only because you have to take them off in the airports.

Whether I'm flying for work (often) or for pleasure (sadly, not as often), I always wear jeans, a light sleeveless shirt, a hooded sweatshirt, and the biggest clunkiest pair of shoes I'm bringing with me. And if I'm travelling to a colder climate I'll bring my heaviest jacket onboard, too. Once onboard I place my jacket under the seat in front of me. I tend to be a very light and efficient packer so my priority is to bring the bulkiest items on my person, thus saving all that extra room in my luggage.

I have worn underwire bras consistantly since I was 12, and I have only once set off the metal detecter. The woman security guard was very polite and told me ahead of time that she would be using the back of her hand to feel where the wire was, and then she would use a wand to check that specific area. As it turns out, it wasn't the underwire at all that set off the alarm - it was the hooks in back.

Personally I think your best bet is to dress for comfort - YOUR comfort. If your comfort entails wearing business-appropriate attire "just in case" then by all means please do so. Heck, wear your best ball gown, stiletto heels, and pearls if it makes you comfortable! For me comfortable is about wearing the clothes that allow me to sit for long periods of time without being restrictive and that allow for sometimes widely varying changes in temperature.

Archived