Need Advice for Ladies' Attire - QM2 July Crossing

Texwell

As this will be our first experience on QM2, I would welcome any advice regarding proper attire for ladies, especially during the day since I've ready many helpful posts about formal wear for evening.

Thanks.

During the day, dress can be very casual. However, if you are going to afternoon tea, dress as if you were going to the afternoon tea at the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas. At lunch, dress as if going to a business lunch.

Otherwise, save your formal wear for those formal nights. But remember, chances are most people you meet on the cruise will never see you again and will most definitely not remember past a few minutes what you were wearing. So -- my point is -- dress to please yourself while respecting the dress code. And don't worry too much about wearing the same thing twice -- unless it bothers you personally. No one else will care unless you happen to be onboard with come very close friends who are fussy about such things.

(I read about one guy who showed up on a formal night wearing his bathrobe -- I can guarantee he will be remembered. If he had worn a tux, definitely not. However, I assume being a nice lady, you would never do this. Just an amusing anecdote.)

Thanks, Northern Neighbor, for the practical advice! Though I've never been to tea at the Adolphus, I am familiar with the beautiful hotel and its ambience. It's a great frame of reference for afternoon tea.

It doesn't bother me at all to wear the same thing twice and was considering doing just that in light of the fact that we will be staying in Germany for a few days and then on to Ireland so I want to pack as efficiently as possible.

I appreciate your help!

For tea, naturally, a "tea-length" dress or skirt is quite proper although many women wore nice slacks with a silky blouse or jacket.

For strolling around the deck, sensible shoes and comfortable pants seemed in order, (which naturally, I wore neither...) :rolleyes:

Bring lots of separates that will work later on your trip along with a few choice accessories that you can change up during the cruise, (i.e.; a lovely shawl or stunning wrap which packs easily but adds some punch, a few scarves etc., takes up hardly any room in your luggage). Think: Audrey Hepburn! :D What that lady could do with a few basic pieces and the right accessories..VOILA!

BTW, just back from Ireland and the weather was lovely. Outside of the slinky dresses for the cruise, I wore many of the same items easily. (Returned to Santa Fe and this morning we had snow!) :eek:

This isn't a comment particularly for ladies (unfortunately). You need to allow for your waist size to increase during your trip. Plan to wear your tight clothes first - you won't be able to get into them later:eek:

I just got back and was concerned about the same thing. We usually spent the days at sea in jeans and a T or sweatshirt. I was afraid that wouldn't work and made my husband take sweaters and very casual slacks for daytime. WRONG!!!!!

While most of the passengers were dress a little better than on our other cruises, they still were comfortable. Jeans, sweatshirts, sweaters---warm up suits... just about anything. Even had a few people wearing shorts.

So do what you're comfortable with and what works for you with your additional land days.

I so agree w/ Alfiemom!!! I think people on this board fuss way too much about the type of clothing to be worn on the QM2. I did a xing last summer and was often on my way to and from the pool, so therefore was dressed in a nice bermuda short type outfit as a cover up. I fit in fine!!! I even wore it to tea and many many people were just as casual and comfy. No one buzzed about me as I walked by, no one gossiped about me and I was not asked to leave the room at any time. :):)

For all the dinners I wore a nice dressy pant suit and then changed the tops. I had another month to do in Europe on my own after my crossing as was not about to haul tons of extras. People smiled as I passed, people were friendly, and I had a ball traveling on my own. BTW..I am a woman in my 60's.

So RELAX.....pack and wear what makes you happy. If you want to dress up each day fine...but if not...you will be quite at home.

It would actually be very possible to do the xing in shorts and a tshirt and eat only in Kings Court and skip all the fal de rol all together. Infact I know for certain many people did just that and had a delightful time.

Do what you want!!! Be who you are. And have fun!!!!!

Thanks to all of you for the great tips. I do tend to be practical when packing but, with all I read on the other threads (jeans/shorts vs. slacks/pants/skirts, etc.), I was wondering if I was on track. Now I feel reassured!

This is the part that kills me...you read where the QE2 is' "So much more refined", as the "passengers dress so much better", (snobbery..well, yes, possibly) Then you read where jeans are acceptable or not. Personally, I did not wear jeans, as my own choice, but I certainly did not look on those who did any less. (Trust me, wearing a $300 pair of TRJ compared to a $30 pair of black dockers seems a little contrite in anyone's judgement, as far as I'm concerned). I agree with dress what you feel comfortable in. I live in "jeans country", so to have the "excuse" to dress up, I found marvelous. For those who either feel comfortable in their usual attire, or those who must always dress up and have the chance to relax, more power to you!

It's a vacation, it's your holiday! If you want to feel complete elegance, then dress up, and more power to you! If you want to feel comfortable and more relaxed, that's OK too. One thing I've learned, is that this is the ship to do exactly so. From what I have heard, the QE2 may be quite different in it's level of tolerance.

Am I wrong? :cool: (subtle snobbery, or not so subtle, perhaps?)

Hi all,

I have been reading the threads on dress (no pun intended) and still have a few questions.

1.) Do people wear shorts and t-shirts during the day when they know they will be swimming or working out?

2.) Can dress shorts and a polo work for lunch or are slacks/skirt more common.

This is my first cruise and I am looking forward to the elegance of the Queen Mary 2. I am excited to dress for dinner,it seems very romantic and fun to me. However, I would like to be more casual during the day, I don't want to take up too much time worrying about dressing when I can be exploring the ship.

Deb

Deb, I think you are correct that the July 3 cruise will be less formal than a transatlantic. You will definitely see people in shorts and t-shirts during the day. You have chosen a wonderful ship for your first cruise. Enjoy!

Archived