arrival/departure Rome

My sister and I are planning on the 12 day Med. cruise in October, and will be flying to Rome from Chicago. Most flights seem to arrive in Rome between 7-9AM so wondered about getting on the ship - by the time we get thru customs, etc would be be able to board the ship, or should we plan on one of the shore excursions?

On our return back to Chicago, flights generally seem to be leaving between 5:45 and 9:30Am - does disembarkation allow us to get to the airport for an early morning flight, or would we be better off spending the night in Rome and departing the following day?

The port for Rome is between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 hours from Rome. If you use the search function on the site you will find lots of info about trains, drivers, etc. As mediterranian cruises tend to be very port intensive, I would definetely stay at least a couple of nights on each end, if time permits. (I also happen to love Rome, was there for seven nights at the first of April and am ready to return.)

Have a great cruise.

Regards,

Shannon

It's hard to answer your questions specifically, not knowing what time your ship leaves and returns to port. As the previous poster says, the port is some distance from the airport and from Rome itself. Even so, you may be through the airport and on your way with time to spare before boarding. It's not likely that you will be able to board before about 1:00, so if your cruise line offers an excursion the morning of embarkation, that might be a good idea.

It would be most unlikely that you would be able to make early morning flights home. If you have the time, by all means, stay an extra day or two in Rome. We did that, and it was wonderful to linger over coffee the last morning and stroll off the ship with the last group of passengers. We had no worries about getting to the airport in time, and we had most of the day to enjoy Rome.

Flying into Rome at least a day early would be great, too, if you can swing it. No worries about airline delays messing up your vacation, and you'll have a little extra sight seeing time.

Hi Grammy444,

I'm going on a 10 day Med.cruise 10/06/06 on Celebrity's Galaxy.

Those early return flights from Rome are a problem. I booked

a non-stop from Chicago to Rome with American Airlines.

But the return flight on the 16th.leaves Rome FCO at 11:30a.m

The ship doesn't dock until 7a.m.

It would be too little time to get to the airport, check in, etc.

Thus, I had to take a return flight at 1:30p.m. and will do a

stopover in London's Heathrow for 2 hours. UGH!

We're doing a pre-cruise stay in Rome for 4 nights/5 days.

Have booked our transfers to and from the port with:

Stefano @ romecabs.yahoo.com He comes highly recommended.

(115 euros for 2 passengers 125 for 4. 150 for 6 in a large minivan.)

He could pick you up at the airport and take you to the port.

He answers by email very promptly.

Hope this helps. If you have any other ?? don't hesitate.

October is coming closer. How exciting!

Bon Voyage.

Hi Grammy444,

I'm going on a 10 day Med.cruise 10/06/06 on Celebrity's Galaxy.

Those early return flights from Rome are a problem. I booked

a non-stop from Chicago to Rome with American Airlines.

But the return flight on the 16th.leaves Rome FCO at 11:30a.m

The ship doesn't dock until 7a.m.

It would be too little time to get to the airport, check in, etc.

Thus, I had to take a return flight at 1:30p.m. and will do a

stopover in London's Heathrow for 2 hours. UGH!

We're doing a pre-cruise stay in Rome for 4 nights/5 days.

Have booked our transfers to and from the port with:

Stefano @ romecabs.yahoo.com He comes highly recommended.

(115 euros for 2 passengers 125 for 4. 150 for 6 in a large minivan.)

He could pick you up at the airport and take you to the port.

He answers by email very promptly.

Hope this helps. If you have any other ?? don't hesitate.

October is coming closer. How exciting!

Bon Voyage.

Not liking the ugh part of your comment having to stop at London's Heathrow. Tell me please it is not worst than Chicaho O'Hare.

We are on the galaxy 11/10/06 and I have in the process of making reservation from Virginia. The stops I have found are at Heathrow. Sow I be trying to avoid that airport? I have been to europe a couple of times but not to Heathrow.

Thanks,

Tomas

I live 5 minutes from O`hare airport and have never had a pleasant thing to say about O`hare. Heathrow is worse.:mad:

Chicagolass:

I have the same flights as you have. On American airlines June 20th. I just checked their website and my ticket today would cost $2496. Ouch.

I was really afraid to take their 11:30am flight and got the 1:30pm thru Heathrow which I am dreading. But all the other flights were 4 more hours in wait time.

Carol

You should definitely not book an early departure flight! I would say not to book anything before 11:00 am or you will be stressing about getting to the airport on time.

We stayed over an extra night in Rome because we didn't want to be worried about getting to the airport on time. Generally, the ships dock at Civitavecchia very early but you still have to disembark, get luggage and drive to the airport. Airport is about 1 hr. to 1 1/2 hrs. depending upon traffic. It is suggested that you arrive 3 hrs. b4 flight departure.

As to your arrival in Rome, you would have plenty of time to get to the ship. Generally, you can't board til around noontime or so. We were able to do a tour of the Colosseum b4 we headed to the ship. We had pre-arranged a van pickup at our hotels for noontime and got to the ship about 1:30 pm.

You could do a limo tour of Rome b4 you head to the ship and see some of the sights of Rome. There are lots of good limo companies you could check out.

Good luck.

Mary

I live 5 minutes from O`hare airport and have never had a pleasant thing to say about O`hare. Heathrow is worse.:mad:

Chicagolass:

I have the same flights as you have. On American airlines June 20th. I just checked their website and my ticket today would cost $2496. Ouch.

I was really afraid to take their 11:30am flight and got the 1:30pm thru Heathrow which I am dreading. But all the other flights were 4 more hours in wait time.

Carol

I was just at o'hare in March can't believe the place it was awful. The disttance between the gates and terminal is terrible and the transportation ot lack of has a lot to be desired.

So How is Heathrow worst? I didn't think things could be worst!

When transfering in Heathrow we were totally lost for a few hours. Personnel at the airport were sending us back and forth. It was a true

nightmare. I still have dreams about Heathrow and it has been more than 10 years.

Carol

I decided on making the change in Newark, NJ where there are several flights direct to Rome. Newark is not a difficult airport to make in change in. And making the change early in the trip, rather than when I am tired out from an overnight flight.

Hi All,

The question was pretty simple about arrival in Rome and transfer to the ship. I stand by my recommendatioins. If you can spare the time Do arrive early and spend a couple of nights in Rome, and Do arrive after your wonderful cruise to spend a couple of nights extra. Rome is magic. Transatlantic flights are terrible, especially issssf you live on the West Coast, like I do. Rome though is worth every second.

The history, the people, the smells, the vistas, the people watching, the air, the sights, the fashion, the food it is soooooooo wonderfull!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Sannon

Archived