Howler Monkey Sanctuary in Belize

silverspringmom

Has anyone taken this shore excursion? We are looking at either Altun Ha alone or combined with the Howler Monkey Sanctuary. Thanks!

Did they just changed the name from Baboon Sanctuary to Howler Monkey Sanctuary? We took the Baboon Sanctuary tour this past March on the Valor. They take you on a 45 minute bus ride to this place, give you a talk about the history of the place and take you into the Jungle, I have tons of pictures at home, Im currently in Big Bear having fun. So when I get home I will shoot some pictures over to this Tread. They are Black Monkeys not Baboons, thats probably why they call it Howler Monkeys now. Someone probably sued because they didnt see Baboons as it was listed in the Excursion page. There are about 2 families of monkeys there, the male head monkey has a roar that sounds like a Lion and can be heard over a Mile away. So if you hear this Roar dont run LOL. Make sure you bring some serious Mosqito spray or lotion with 100% Deet because there are some Monster Mosqito that will drill into your leg and run a massive pipe down into your leg to get your oil, Wendy got bit and we all heard her scream in the back.

Fred

I see where they added the Howler Monkeys below. Oh and there are no Baboon Crossings as stated below.

This excursion into the Community Baboon Sanctuary may be the only time in your life you have to watch for "Baboons Crossing”.

On this very unique excursion you will:

• Take a 20 to 30 minute walking tour on prepared jungle paths.
  • See and hear Howler Monkeys (Baboons).
  • Take a short tour of Belize City after the sanctuary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I posted a couple times today on this but it is great. We did not do it via ship but hired a lady to take us places from the port. She took us to Altun Ha as well as the sancutary. We liked both. We had a 3 1/2 daughter with us too. She loved the monkies. IT was only a few dollars. A man took us thru the jungle called them and they came down. We fed them and took TONS of pictures of them up close. There was a smaller one too.

I think another name for Howler monkies is Black baboon, not sure....

It was worth it and nice. I would do both though. Hire a local. They are cheaper and know the information and need the money. This was a lady with a/c van and she went where we asked her to. I think her name was Margaret Monteroso or something. I got her name from this message board a few years back I think.

Archived