Saint John, NB Bay of Fundy

Has anyone done any of the Bay of Fundy excursions on Carnival? I can't do the Ride the Rapids Tour, I will have my 75 year old mother with me and I didn't think that ride would be for her.

There are 2 other tours the St Martin & Bay Of Fundy and Saint John's Bay of Fundy up close.

Any info anyone can provide would be great.

• 1 month later...

Hi FundyGirl. Hope you don't mind if I ask for some help? I'm interested in touring the Moosehead Brewery, so we'll probably do this w/ the ship as an excersion. Do you know how close it is to the pier? Also do you have any suggestion what to do on our own? I'm looking for stuff w/i walking distance from the pier or a short cab ride (I'm not looking to rent a car or take a long cab drive). Thank you so much:)

• 3 weeks later...

Mailgirl, you are right about Ride the Rapids. When we were on Princess in OCT 2004 some friend did it and you do get SOAKED and it was very chilly so they ended up back at the ship to warm up so lost a lot of port time.

Reversing Rapids is only a big show depending on the tide "schedule" You can look that up online. When we were there the big tide changes were long before and after we were in port.

The tour to St. Martin is a lot of driving to get to the caves but the chowder was great. The fall colors were just starting to pop.

This time we are going to do more around the city.

Mailgirl' date=' you are right about Ride the Rapids. When we were on Princess in OCT 2004 some friend did it and you do get SOAKED and it was very chilly so they ended up back at the ship to warm up so lost a lot of port time.

Reversing Rapids is only a big show depending on the tide "schedule" You can look that up online. When we were there the big tide changes were long before and after we were in port.

The tour to St. Martin is a lot of driving to get to the caves but the chowder was great. The fall colors were just starting to pop.

This time we are going to do more around the city.[/quote']

Cruisin Kathy Thank You for the info. I checked out the tide schedule and it looks like we will get to see the rising tide. Carnival changed the date we will be in port from Wed Oct. 4th to Tuesday Oct.3rd. They are offering a tour called Saint Johns Bay of Fundy up close and the time of the tour they are offering is about 40 min. after the high tide starts. I went ahead and booked this tour in hopes we will get to see the high tide.

I am glad I didn't take a chance on the jet boat. Thanks again

Hi,

We are sailing on the Carnival Victory 8/12 and having been in St. John before, I emailed Moosehead about going on the Brewery Tour without the ship excursion.

Guess What:

There is no Brewery Tour, it was discontinued due to safety and security issues. Apparently, the ship's excursion takes you to a pub where you sample some beer.

Synet165

Hi,

We are sailing on the Carnival Victory 8/12 and having been in St. John before, I emailed Moosehead about going on the Brewery Tour without the ship excursion.

Guess What:

There is no Brewery Tour, it was discontinued due to safety and security issues. Apparently, the ship's excursion takes you to a pub where you sample some beer.

Synet165

thanks for the heads-up on that. i can '' sample the beer '' on my own without a tour :D . i would like to see the bay also but not on the ship tour. does anyone know if there are vendors by the dock that have tours available? i like to use the locals if i can.

• 3 weeks later...
Cruisin Kathy Thank You for the info. I checked out the tide schedule and it looks like we will get to see the rising tide. Carnival changed the date we will be in port from Wed Oct. 4th to Tuesday Oct.3rd. They are offering a tour called Saint Johns Bay of Fundy up close and the time of the tour they are offering is about 40 min. after the high tide starts. I went ahead and booked this tour in hopes we will get to see the high tide.

I am glad I didn't take a chance on the jet boat. Thanks again

Mailgirl - quick question about the ride the rapids tour. Do they have a place to store your dry clothes before you get on the boat? The tour states to "bring a dry change of clothes"...Also, is there a secure place to leave your stuff or do you bring everything with you on the boat?

quick question about the ride the rapids tour. Do they have a place to store your dry clothes before you get on the boat? The tour states to "bring a dry change of clothes"...Also, is there a secure place to leave your stuff or do you bring everything with you on the boat?

We went with the Bay of Fundy upclose tour instead of the Ride the rapids. There is a disclaimer on the Ride the rapids tour that said you shouldn't ride if you have back problems or a heart condition. My mom had open heart surgery 4 years ago so we didn't think this would be good for her.

If you just want to go out to the Bay of Fundy, the public bus goes out there for a small fare. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was very reasonable. We rode the bus, looked around the visitor's center, watched the movie, then walked out and watched the folks getting drenched in the "ride the rapids" tour. Overall, it was a fun afternoon for very little $$.

If you just want to go out to the Bay of Fundy, the public bus goes out there for a small fare. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was very reasonable. We rode the bus, looked around the visitor's center, watched the movie, then walked out and watched the folks getting drenched in the "ride the rapids" tour. Overall, it was a fun afternoon for very little $$.

wow, sounds great. can you tell me where you caught the bus and was it called a certain name--like public tour bus or something? this sounds like exactly what i am looking for. thanks for any more help :)

Hi trvllover, sorry I can't answer your exact question but if you don't find an answer I would buy those super jumbo ziplock bags they sell in the supermarket, they are huge. They are big enough to hold your clothes & shoes so you don't have to worry about them getting wet.

We're sight seeing in the other ports & just thought it would be fun to do the rapids tour, then discover St. John ourselves. I appreciate the tip on the plastic bags. If anyone else has done the ride the rapids, I would love to hear about it!!

musicman... It was just a regular city bus. We caught us just outside a little mall. I don't remember the name of the mall, but it was a easy walk from the ship. Maybe someone else knows the name of it. Have fun!!

musicman... It was just a regular city bus. We caught us just outside a little mall. I don't remember the name of the mall, but it was a easy walk from the ship. Maybe someone else knows the name of it. Have fun!!

The pickup and drop off is about a 5 min walk from where you dock. It is outside Barbours General Store and across from Avis Rent a car

you will see a display board in the sidewalk, It is first come first serve, 1 tour in the AM, 1 in the PM. Really good tour

CaptainJeanLuc,

I would be happy to give you any information on Saint John....what type of info are you looking for? :)

FundyGirl, I will be in Saint John on Tuesday, October 3rd. I have rented a car, and want to drive to St. Andrews. I want to also try to drive to St. Martins. But I still want time left over to see Saint John also. Right now we are schedule to be in port at 8:00 am and leave at 7:00 pm so that means I'd have to be back to the ship by 6:00. Do you think this would be doable? Or should I scratch St. Martins? We are two older ladies and I really want to see the Alonquin Hotel in St. Andrews. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:p

I see the Reversing Falls on all the info listed on these boards, but I don't find specific directions to get there. I will be getting a rental car at Avis, which I understand is across the street from where the cruise ships dock, but how do I find my way to the Reversing Falls, and is there ample parking there? Thanks so much for any info you can impart.:p

FundyGirl, I will be in Saint John on Tuesday, October 3rd. I have rented a car, and want to drive to St. Andrews. I want to also try to drive to St. Martins. But I still want time left over to see Saint John also. Right now we are schedule to be in port at 8:00 am and leave at 7:00 pm so that means I'd have to be back to the ship by 6:00. Do you think this would be doable? Or should I scratch St. Martins? We are two older ladies and I really want to see the Alonquin Hotel in St. Andrews. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:p

I am not fundygirl but I have been to St. Andrews and the Algonquin Hotel. This was in 2001 on Princess and it was a ship excursion that included both places. I am not sure what ship you are sailing or what excursion, but it was bus trip to first the hotel, had a tea stop, and then they took us to St. Andrews. What a great olf New England type of town. I would go back in a heartbeat. Hope this helps some.

marilyn

I see the Reversing Falls on all the info listed on these boards, but I don't find specific directions to get there. I will be getting a rental car at Avis, which I understand is across the street from where the cruise ships dock, but how do I find my way to the Reversing Falls, and is there ample parking there? Thanks so much for any info you can impart.:p

From Avis you will Drive towards Market Sq, and Up St. Patrick St.

You will come to Street Lights. Go straight

Go through a set of flashing lights, go straight at your next set of lights(there is a small arena on your left called Lord Beaverbrook Rink)

At your next set of lights there is a McDonalds on your right, Turn left here.

go down this street, at your next set of lights there is a Petro-Canada gas station, go straight.

Continue going straight you will come to a bridge, go across and there will be an green building on the left, This is the Reversing Falls Visitor Info Centre/ Resturant.

There is a Movie about the falls, and an observation deck, as well as a gift shop. There is a boat tour that leaves from there as well.

There is another look out from where the JET Boats leave from. The VIC can give you info to get to that if you wanted to stop and look there o your way back.

if you need more info just ask.

?e=9&GetMapDataDirect=Gme5diw%2cb%3a9u12%3b%40%245d%2da00472%26%3dz0%216ts567%3a90%40wqwr5q%401%265z82u6%24nlrzs%26u2gu%2ca%3a9672%3b%40b200%24%3a%26%40%245d%2daa1z72%26%3dz0%216zx967%3a%26%4022u6%2a%3al6tx%26%40%24%3a%26w8%2614yxu6%24%2egy%4025fa2u%40%24%3a94tw%3bu%24ndz7%261%2cbs5r%24%3a%26uz2%26uz20r8xq%40200%40%24ndw7%261%2c8w%26w%245d0tl5%40%5f0g6zxu%40%5fx%26u%24%2e9%402%3au%407%3a9%40t%3au%407%3al%40%5fl%266%242%266%24%2e5%407%3au%40a%3a%29a%24g%26%3d25%260%24%2e9%407%3au%40b%3a%29u%24x%26%3d2%3aq%40%5fx%26a%24%2eg%408%3a%29y%24n%26%3d2%3a9%40%5fn%26a%24%2eq%40r%3a%29y%24n%26%3d2n%26%3d2%3a%29f%24%2e9%40%5fl%26%3dy%3a%2907%3a%29a%24%2eh%407%3a%294%242%26%3db%3a%29u%24%2ed%40%5fl%26%3dbn%266%242%26%3d2l%26u%24%2e9u%24%2e9%40%5f0%26y%24%2e9%402%3a%29w%24l%26%3d8%3au%40%5fg%26%3d8%3a%29uy%3a%29ur%3a%29f%24%2el%40%5f0%26%3d2%3a%29y%24%2e1%40%5fn9%40%5f0%26%3d2x%26%3d1%3a%29u7%3a%29z%24%2eh%40%5fa%26%3dy%3a%29r%24%2ed%40%5fg%26%3d8%3a%29f%24%2e9%40%5fl%26%3db%3a%29z%24%2ed%40%5fw%26%3dz%3a%29u1%3a%29a%24%2e1%40%5fn%26%3db%3a%290%24%2e1%40%5fn%26%3dz%3a9482%3b6%24nq67%261%2c%24006b%3a%26&rnd=7305

This trip will take 10 min max.

SJNB,

I have another question for you. I rented a car from Avis, and they showed two locations. One was 4 Water Street and the other was

140 Water Street. Another poster said Avis was right across the

street from the Cruise Ship Pier. Can you tell me which office is

the one at the Cruise Pier. I picked 140 Water Street, but it looks

like it wouldn't be too bad a walk either direction. Thanks again for

taking the time to answer all my silly questions.:p

SJNB,

I have another question for you. I rented a car from Avis, and they showed two locations. One was 4 Water Street and the other was

140 Water Street. Another poster said Avis was right across the

street from the Cruise Ship Pier. Can you tell me which office is

the one at the Cruise Pier. I picked 140 Water Street, but it looks

like it wouldn't be too bad a walk either direction. Thanks again for

taking the time to answer all my silly questions.:p

There is only one Avis and I'm not to sure what the address is, but you turn left when you come out of the gates where the ship docks and it is on the right side of the street right on the corner.

Archived