Saint John, NB Bay of Fundy

SJNB,

Thanks for the info, I have no idea why it listed two locations. Guess I'll find out when I get there, if they don't have a car for me.:eek:

140 Water St. is in St. John's Newfoundland:(

4 Water St. is in Saint John, New Brunswick :)

might wanna changed your reservation :)

SJNB,

How in the world did you find that out? I'll recheck my reservation,

but I was sure I put in Saint John NB. Thank you for your diligence.

I can see it now, I show up and no reservation, no car. Oh my

goodness.:eek:

I just went to avis.com and when I tried Saint John, NB and only the airport and 4 Water st. came up I was like hey i'll try St. John's, NL, just cause it is comminly mistaken.

I'll never forget the time, when a family showed up at our arena they had drove from PA to see their hockey team from PA play the St. John's Maple Leafs of the AHL, tickets in hand and no game to be found...they wern't happy campers:p

SJNB,

Again thanks so much for your diligence. You were absolutely correct. When I put in Saint John NB, there were four listings. The two on Water St. and two at the airport. That should have alerted me to a problem, but dumb me, didn't pay any attention to it, that there were two for the airport. I was so intent on Water Street, wondering which of the two were at the Pier. As it lists the street address and Avis code #, but not the actual city, until you get the confirmation.

I have cancelled my St. Johns Newfoundland reservation (darn, it was a bigger car for less money) and rebooked for Saint John NB at 4 Water Street. So I think it's all taken care of. Now I just pray for nice weather and not too much traffic, so I can maneuver my way around Saint John and on to St. Andrews and back to the ship.:p

SJNB, Myself, DH and DD and DS (ages 5 & 9) will be in Saint John on 8/9. I've already arranged to get a rental car from Avis and drive to St. Martins and drive the Fundy Trail. What else is there to do in the area? Looking for somewhere to have a bite to eat - any suggestions? Can I see the changing of the tides around here. All iinfo would be helpful.

SJNB, our TA booked a rental car for us with Budget. Do you know the location for the Budget office? Should we change to Avis? We will be there on a Sunday, Sept. 24, from noon to 7:30 PM. I know that car rental agencies here aren't open on Sunday so I suppose exceptions are made when ships are in port.

Thanks so much for all the information that you have supplied to us.

SJNB, Myself, DH and DD and DS (ages 5 & 9) will be in Saint John on 8/9. I've already arranged to get a rental car from Avis and drive to St. Martins and drive the Fundy Trail. What else is there to do in the area? Looking for somewhere to have a bite to eat - any suggestions? Can I see the changing of the tides around here. All iinfo would be helpful.

St Martins is a great place to see the Tides. however the day you are in High Tide is at 12:18pm. These are Sea Caves

st-martins.jpg

During high tide the caves are filled with water, and during low tide you are able to explore them as in the picture.

Low tide is at 6:10am, 6:30pm, so you likely will not be able to explore them.

There is a resturant at the caves, the one closer to the caves is better, there is 2 in the one building.

There are good resturants near the ship as well.

Near the ship as well there is the New Brunswick Meseum. The kids would probably enjoy that. There is a whale exhibit, and other neat things.

Matello Tower would be neat for the kids to see, it is on the west side of Saint John

CMT.jpg

You are able to go in and explore the fort and the view the the harbour is amazing.

ask if u need more info

SJNB, our TA booked a rental car for us with Budget. Do you know the location for the Budget office? Should we change to Avis? We will be there on a Sunday, Sept. 24, from noon to 7:30 PM. I know that car rental agencies here aren't open on Sunday so I suppose exceptions are made when ships are in port.

Thanks so much for all the information that you have supplied to us.

There is a pick-up location for budget a little further then AVIS but it is not listed on their site so I do not know the hours of it. Avis shows 10-2 on sunday and is a 5 min walk from the boat

There is a pick-up location for budget a little further then AVIS but it is not listed on their site so I do not know the hours of it. Avis shows 10-2 on sunday and is a 5 min walk from the boat

Thanks. Our TA said that we could pick up and dro off the car at the pier so I guess that is the location they were talking about. We will call them sometime before the trip to varify things. This is such a port intensive cruise that I am being overwhelmed by all the decisions that we have to make. :confused: The Alaska cruises were much easier to plan.

If you need good directions to get to st. martins let me know.

SJNB,

Thanks so much for the info. That's a shame that will be not be able to explore the caves. As for the restaurants - do you know the name of the ones near the caves - I'm really looking for good local seafood - would this be the place? What are your recommendations for eating in Saint John?

Yes directions to St. Martins would be great - are there any nice towns to see on the way? Thanks

steamers which is right across from the ship is very popular for seafood

and I think it is just The cave resturant not really sure. Its next to the big parking area for the caves, ya cant miss it.

as for directions

-When you leave Avis turn and go back towards the boat

-follow this street do not make any turns off it(you will go around turns but stay in the same rd)

-you will come to a major interseation and set of lights, you will want to go straight, through 2 more sets of lights

-you will pass an Irving Gas station(on the right) and come to another set of lights that will take you up onto an over pass.

-Stay in the right lane and take the exit that says 'SUSSEX'

-follow this highway for about 10min

-you will come to a large Irving Truck stop gas station

-take you first exit just pass the gas station, it will direct you to St. Martins and the Airport.

-you will follow this highway 5min and come to a intersection, turn left for St. Martins and follow this road.

- It is about a 30-40 min drive from here

• 2 months later...

Home from our cruise. The car rental went great in Saint John. So glad we didn't try to do St. Andrews and St. Martin. We chose St. Andrews and got there without any problems. Saw the Algonquin Hotel, but think the highlight of the trip was the Kingsbrae Gardens. My friend and I love English Gardens. We have been to Butchart Gardens in Victoria, and while

Kingsbrae isn't as large, it was beautiful. Then we had lunch at the little restaurant right there. Then made our way to the town center and found an outdoor market taking place. We loved the old English feel of the town and it was small enough to actually not worry about getting lost. We walked the main street, shopped (of course) then headed back to Saint John, turned the car in and returned to the ship at about 4:00, so were back in plenty of time for our 5:30 sail. We would have been rushed if we had tried to do St. Martin too. Thank you so much for your advice and help, we really loved your neck of the woods!

• 4 weeks later...

I just spent 20 minutes on a detailed reply ( I don't type) and lost it before I could post it. Briefly great weather, rented budget, lost 25 minutes getting picked up, but the counter people told us how to take the scenic route to St Martin's. Much better than the direct route we took back. Tour busses hit Caves just as we did so we drove on to the Bay of Fundy National Park? name?. Sign said it was closed but saw 4-5 cars outside near a trailhead, did the trail 2-3 miles..... fantastic overlooking the ocean, clifts etc. Saw cars, taxis, vans, on the closed road, while heading back. We inquired and found it was closed except to tourists from the cruise ship in town, drove the road to the end, surprised a large female moose by the side of the road. She watched us watching her until a van full of tourists, like us, sped around the corner and chased her into the woods. We mentioned the moose to the guards and car rental people and got looks of astonishment followed by "you saw a moose". All and all a perfect excursion. Also one more place we have to come back to for all those hiking trails. thanks again for the help wes

• 6 months later...

I am going on the Carnival Victory June 25th and had a question about either the St Martin & Bay Of Fundy and Saint John's Bay of Fundy up close excursions. Do you see the Hopewell Rocks on both trips? That is what im really interested in.

I am going on the Carnival Victory June 25th and had a question about either the St Martin & Bay Of Fundy and Saint John's Bay of Fundy up close excursions. Do you see the Hopewell Rocks on both trips? That is what im really interested in.

You will not see the Hopewell Rocks on the St. Martins trip. St. Martins is about 45 minutes from here and while it is very scenic-----no Hopewell Rocks. I don't know where the Bay of Fundy "close up" tour will take you, but the rocks are at least a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive from Saint John--quite a distance up the coast from Fundy National Park. Check on the length of the tour and that might give you some indication.

do you know if the "The Bay of Fundy At Fundy National Park" sees the hopewell rocks. it is 7 hours long and it says we walk on alma beach. i did a little research and it seems that beach is about 10 minutes from the rocks but it doesnt mention the rocks in the decription. any ideas?

do you know if the "The Bay of Fundy At Fundy National Park" sees the hopewell rocks. it is 7 hours long and it says we walk on alma beach. i did a little research and it seems that beach is about 10 minutes from the rocks but it doesn't mention the rocks in the decription. any ideas?

I have driven from Alma to the "Rocks" and it took at least half an hour over a two lane twisty road--slow going. If the tour doesn't mention the rocks in its description I would think you would not be going--Maybe someone from the cruise line could give you some indication.

However, I would think that if they were going there, they would allot considerable time to it as there is an interpretation centre, and also, people like to stick around and see the tide come in---at least partially.

• 3 months later...

Hi! I hope Sapper1 is reading this. I just found this string and he (I think a he<g>) lives in St. John.

We are on a cruise in 3 weeks which stops in St. John. We are not big on the Cruise Lines Shore excursions and St. John looks like easily walkable. But we want to go out to see the Bay of Fundy on the water. The cruise line (RCCL) excursion is $89.00 for 2 1/2 hours. The 2 1/2 hours INCLUDES the buseum so it won't be a lot on the water.

Are there local companies that offer tours that we can reserve in advance or other suggestions. No, I don't want to rent a car this time.

Thanks to Sapper1 or anyone else who has seen the Bay of Fundy using a less expensive option.

Hi! I hope Sapper1 is reading this. I just found this string and he (I think a he<g>) lives in St. John.

We are on a cruise in 3 weeks which stops in St. John. We are not big on the Cruise Lines Shore excursions and St. John looks like easily walkable. But we want to go out to see the Bay of Fundy on the water. The cruise line (RCCL) excursion is $89.00 for 2 1/2 hours. The 2 1/2 hours INCLUDES the buseum so it won't be a lot on the water.

Are there local companies that offer tours that we can reserve in advance or other suggestions. No, I don't want to rent a car this time.

Thanks to Sapper1 or anyone else who has seen the Bay of Fundy using a less expensive option.

It took me a few minutes but I remembered Acey posting something on another thread about a lobster boat tour out into the bay. Check out www.nicelobstertours.com

You might also check out www.tourismsaintjohn.com which has a link to the Reversing Falls Jet Boat Ride. They offer a relaxing tour of the harbour if the Jet Boat is too lively for your liking.

Another helpful website is www.cruisesaintjohn.com

I hope you enjoy your visit to our city and that the weather co-operates so you can get the most out of your time here.

You might also check out www.tourismsaintjohn.com which has a link to the Reversing Falls Jet Boat Ride. They offer a relaxing tour of the harbour if the Jet Boat is too lively for your liking.

Another helpful website is www.cruisesaintjohn.com

I hope you enjoy your visit to our city and that the weather co-operates so you can get the most out of your time here.

Thanks for info. Thew Cruise St. John site has good info but NO LINKS to the tour companies. The tourism site was more helpful. I looked at the Jet Boat slow ride (not into thrills <g>) and see it's an hour for about $35.00.

A possibility but a bit above our budget. Will look to see if they have other tours to give us a feel for the city. Really looking forward to coming. Sure wish I could get to Cape Breton Island this time. I love Cape Breton music. I'm a huge fan and always wanted to get there.

Again thanks Sapper.

Archived